Apple's September 12 invite hints at iPhone 5. Upgrade to iOS 6 now.

What's the full price of the iPhone 5 with 2 year contract? $199.99 + tax right or is there an activation fee attached as well? If so, how much?

Buying from Best Buy, btw.

^^ My guess is if you are signing up new with the carrier of your choice, you are gonna pay the 199.99 + tax + activation fee.

If it's just a re-up / extend, then it should just be the price of the phone + tax.

On my bill with my pre-order going from ATT to VZ...there was just phone + tax....but I'd be willing to bet that when that first month's bill rolls around I will have an activation fee as well.

let me set this straight.
4g is a broad term.. Verizon lte and att hspa+ is the same thing...4g.... ATT has the same speed as vzw lte no difference. actually att may be a bit faster

I know what "4g" is hspa+ was not recognized as 4g until later and it's not a true 4g tech. It's all marketing. Heck tmobile dropped hspa+ first just look at their old android phones that said h+ then once they got green light to deem it 4g all their phones started to wear the "4g" label

i was curious about the LTE situation on AT&T as well, the phone says 4G yet, the same 3G speed is all I get...

being the the LA area with AT&T will i truly be on the LTE network and get that fast speed, or is it going to be the same as this 4G mess?

can someone tell me why people are already camping for the iphone? i mean its not enough to pre order it or something? :x

Idk man...I actually checked out those coverage maps pretty thoroughly before choosing to port to VZ from AT&T.  Checked out tons of technology mag LTE market comparisons as well.

I think if you live in a major market, you're gonna get LTE if you go with either of the two major carriers.

I could be wrong though.

Once again for the last time!..lol

your guys are mixing 4g up. 4g is just a name for newer speed technology.

Att version of 4g speed is the HSPA+ or whatever and VZW is LTE.. Both have basically same speeds although i think ATT is faster and smoother.. I do know using lte with my droid razr burns through my battery

i was curious about the LTE situation on AT&T as well, the phone says 4G yet, the same 3G speed is all I get...
being the the LA area with AT&T will i truly be on the LTE network and get that fast speed, or is it going to be the same as this 4G mess?
Download the app 'Coverage?'

It has maps for all four major carriers, with individual toggles so you can isolate the map by just LTE, or just other so-called "4G", or 3G, or 2G.  You can zoom in on the map in your city or location and see which carrier covers your area best.  

Really good app.  I can't remember if i had to pay for it or not, but it helped me make my carrier change decision.

^^ My guess is if you are signing up new with the carrier of your choice, you are gonna pay the 199.99 + tax + activation fee.

If it's just a re-up / extend, then it should just be the price of the phone + tax.

On my bill with my pre-order going from ATT to VZ...there was just phone + tax....but I'd be willing to bet that when that first month's bill rolls around I will have an activation fee as well.

Thanks. Yea I just called BB and they said the fee is assessed when I get my first bill. Didn't know how it worked, this being my first iPhone and all.

I know what "4g" is hspa+ was not recognized as 4g until later and it's not a true 4g tech. It's all marketing. Heck tmobile dropped hspa+ first just look at their old android phones that said h+ then once they got green light to deem it 4g all their phones started to wear the "4g" label

right its all marketing for the most part but all im saying its all the same speed. Sprint 4g name is wimax

4G is the fourth generation of cell phone mobile communications standards. It is a successor of the third generation (3G) standards. A 4G system provides mobile ultra-broadband Internet access, for example to laptops with USB wireless modems, to smartphones, and to other mobile devices. Conceivable applications include amended mobile web access, IP telephony, gaming services, high-definition mobile TV, video conferencing and 3D television.

It has maps for all four major carriers, with individual toggles so you can isolate the map by just LTE, or just other so-called "4G", or 3G, or 2G.  You can zoom in on the map in your city or location and see which carrier covers your area best.  

Really good app.  I can't remember if i had to pay for it or not, but it helped me make my carrier change decision.

thanks i took a look it is 2.99....

i saw another one on there called LTE Finder, it was free. I still may buy Coverage? looks a little more in depth.

I'm covered on there.

Usually I am in Torrance, Hawthorne, Long Beach and LA ... all La County. So I am good. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Quick question,
My current phone (Epic 4g) has warranty that I pay $4.99 a month for. Can I do the same with Iphone or does it have to be APPLE CARE?
I've seen a lot of people going back to an old phone because they've messed their Iphone up. I need ACCIDENTAL warranty on my phone along with my wife's phone.

at least for Verizon, you can get extended warranty / asurion / whatever IN ADDITION to applecare . . . i believe they both have different things that they cover and not the same coverage. seems like overkill to have both though. I think apple care is the better deal for $99 for 2 years (as opposed to paying the carrier's extended warranty every month for 2 years).

idk what carriers you guys have but that played a part in me going with Verizon over the other companies, their $10.99-$11.99 insurance covers EVERYTHING (LOST, STOLEN, CRACKED SCREEN, WATER DAMAGE). I even gave them a call back this morning to verify what it covers, and asked if i would still need Apple Care and he said no.

seeing this map sprint got pretty good coverage

idk what carriers you guys have but that played a part in me going with Verizon over the other companies, their $10.99-$11.99 insurance covers EVERYTHING (LOST, STOLEN, CRACKED SCREEN, WATER DAMAGE). I even gave them a call back this morning to verify what it covers, and asked if i would still need Apple Care and he said no.

You sure about that. Last time I checked it didn't cover lost or stolen. At least that's what they said when I picked up my 4s. Who knows tho it might have changed. I'll talk to a rep when I go pick the phone up

For the nerds...

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/16...r-in-geekbench-showing-dual-core-1ghz-a6-cpu/

John Poole of PrimateLabs let us know that the first iPhone 5 benchmark has hit Geekbench.

The results show an iPhone5,2 device running iOS 6 with a Dual-Core 1.02GHz ARMv7 processor and 1GB of RAM.

The total Geekbench 2 score comes in at 1601. Poole notes that the average score for the iPhone 4S is 629 and the average score for the iPad 3 is 766. A comparison chart of previous iOS devices can be viewed at Geekbench. The numbers seem to validate Apple's claim that the A6 processor is twice as fast as the A5 and any previous iOS device. This one score also places the iPhone 5 ahead of the average scores of all Android phones on Geekbench. The full Geekbench results further breakdown processor, memory and bandwidth performance.

The A6 also appears to be clocked higher than the A5 at 1GHz (the iPhone 4S A5 ran at 800Mhz). The 1GB of RAM was previously confirmed by part number markings on the A6 processor itself.

Poole acknowledges that any pre-release results on Geekbench have a chance of being faked, but he seems to believe that these results are legitimate. The iPhone 5 will be available to the general public on September 21st.

You sure about that. Last time I checked it didn't cover lost or stolen. At least that's what they said when I picked up my 4s. Who knows tho it might have changed. I'll talk to a rep when I go pick the phone up

Vzw 9.99 TEC covers everything, if it's a defect or glitch they mail you a refurb, one guy I had had a 4 32 gb and of course they don't make that anymore but his touch display stopped working, and I was able to over night him a 4s 32 gb because that was the alt device available.

With that 10 bucks you also get insurance where you pay asurion a deductible if phone is lost or stolen or damaged.

For 1.99 you can just add the extended warranty which won't cover damage lost or theft.

If you live in the state of FL they don't let you add the extended warranty because it's so humid down there.

Lucky- good looking. I guess they told me otherwise just to buy applecare. Will be adding TEC on the 5

Quick ?? How much do they charge if it's stole or lost to replace

I have a cracked Iphone 4 32gb is it worth fixing to sale or should i sale as is. The crack is in the top right corner help is much appreciated.

I have a cracked Iphone 4 32gb is it worth fixing to sale or should i sale as is. The crack is in the top right corner help is much appreciated.

i would risk fixing it yourself which could wind up damaging it even worse.

prices have dropped and going down faster. you should just sell it as fast as you can.

i should have been able to get $300 for my 32gb a couple days ago but i checked the sale section on macrumors and prices are like $250 now :x

Lucky- good looking. I guess they told me otherwise just to buy applecare. Will be adding TEC on the 5
Quick ?? How much do they charge if it's stole or lost to replace

Apple care ain't bad I guess since its a one time thing but the city I worked for vzw closet apple store was 2 hrs away, I moved back to atlanta and there are only like 3 yet there are like 20 Verizon's. I mean I hear of apple stores just handing cats new phones all the time but I think apple care is only for a year while TEC is for as long as you have the device and you can go to any vzw or call in and get helped.

God damn. That Apple CPU team deserves some serious praise. Imagine a quad-core version of the A6, that thing could power a Macbook Air. :x :x :x

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom