Are You a Good Tipper? Vol - Gratuity

never tip on a buffet especially asian one if no happy ending, tip goes down on extra annoying servers (how is everything - right after they drop the food off), and for servers not paying attention to you. tip goes up if I see em bustin their ++*...

15% is base, idc if you're megan fox fine youre still getting 15%

never tip on a buffet especially asian one if no happy ending, tip goes down on extra annoying servers (how is everything - right after they drop the food off), and for servers not paying attention to you. tip goes up if I see em bustin their ++*...

15% is base, idc if you're megan fox fine youre still getting 15%

Originally Posted by CampbellSoup

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

Originally Posted by BroComeAtMe

...I wish some of you dudes came to "my" restaurant when I was working
It was a pretty high end sushi restaurant and only the white and asian people tipped well
30t6p3b.gif

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

Can I ask, are you Asian? Cause in my line of work and from what I have heard from my buddy who is married to a Korean woman, he says they only tip well within their race.
Asians rarely use my valet service, and when they do they don't tip for #+%#. Ive literally seen an Asian lady pull out a $5,000 Gucci bag, and have a wad full of $100 bills, and proceed to tip me $2. 
indifferent.gif
Im not asian. I am an immigrant though, and will say many asian, african, latino immigrants don't spend the same way Americans do. I can't really comment on Asians only tipping other Asians, but I will say that maybe the have a soft spot for their own people. Don't really know what else to say about that.

I will say I'm cheap, I don't use valet at all because I have no problem or time constraint in parking my own car, nor do I enjoy paying for parking at shopping centers that have restaurants or bars at night, but that's me. I think some Americans are more used to spending on certain things. I've lived here for a good portion of my life and still don't participate in some trends that my friends are into.

I'm laughing at that dude for acting like it was his restaurant when he's just a waiter and can't demand a tip like he's doing.

"I wish"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

...I wish some of you dudes came to "my" restaurant when I was working
It was a pretty high end sushi restaurant and only the white and asian people tipped well
30t6p3b.gif

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

Can I ask, are you Asian? Cause in my line of work and from what I have heard from my buddy who is married to a Korean woman, he says they only tip well within their race.
Asians rarely use my valet service, and when they do they don't tip for #+%#. Ive literally seen an Asian lady pull out a $5,000 Gucci bag, and have a wad full of $100 bills, and proceed to tip me $2. 
indifferent.gif
Im not asian. I am an immigrant though, and will say many asian, african, latino immigrants don't spend the same way Americans do. I can't really comment on Asians only tipping other Asians, but I will say that maybe the have a soft spot for their own people. Don't really know what else to say about that.

I will say I'm cheap, I don't use valet at all because I have no problem or time constraint in parking my own car, nor do I enjoy paying for parking at shopping centers that have restaurants or bars at night, but that's me. I think some Americans are more used to spending on certain things. I've lived here for a good portion of my life and still don't participate in some trends that my friends are into.

I'm laughing at that dude for acting like it was his restaurant when he's just a waiter and can't demand a tip like he's doing.

"I wish"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Look, the way I see it is like this. The waiters work off an hourly wage of $2.13 or whatever it is.

I completely understand the idea that, "Okay all this guy or girl is doing is refilling my glass, writing down my order, and coming to check on me and whomever every 10 mins." ----- So why tip when they basically are doing "nothing?" I get that mindset, but you have to really look at it as to how they make their money. If you made $2/hr and their wage is based on a society that is supposed to tip, just at least give them 10 %. I make my living off of tips. Given I park cars as my part time job in school, it still is my only source of income and I do my best to make sure I provide the best service.

But also, for those who have been to high end restaurants and seen how much knowledge those servers have to attain and know to work their, I dont see why you cant tip well especially if you can afford to eat at a place like that. They know the menu by heart, what wines to recommend, etc.
Woopty damn do. Go eat at a family Oriental spot and they got their 10 y/o daughters doing this +%%% My neice is 3 and I can ask her to go get me a Coke and she can tell the difference between it and the other sodas. As far as what drinks go with what dishes, is it some formula that requires great experience, age, and skill to know? Nope, wrote memorization and that's ignoring the fact it is subjective anyways. If you can't remember, write it down. I still fail to recognize that as a skill that is just deserving of a greater tip and recognition than anything else. As for them making 2 bucks an hr. they voluntarily signed up for it, so my heart does not bleed. If they were born into some sort of waitor slavery, where they wanted to get a regular minimum wage job,but oppression forbade it, I'd make it rain.

But you signed up to make $2 an hr because 1 you know it's an unsophisticated, low skill profession and not "worthy" of much more anyways, but it's a "risk" you take that some people don't fall for the whole gratuity/service industry scam but knowing most will and on a Friday night you can easily brag about making 200 bucks in 4 hrs just filling drinks. End of the day, they generally come out ahead.

If I owned a restaurant, I'd definitely be a 2 bucks + tips type of owner too. It cuts my operating costs tremendously, about 75% per employee versus paying them like minimum wage. I've seen places that switched from one to the other (from paying full wage to deferring that onto the customers) and didn't even alter prices.

My man, have you ever been to a really high end restaurant? By high end I mean like at least $35-40 a head without drinks...... I'm sure you have......
I valet for a steakhouse that falls in this category, and they literally have a wine cellar with about 300-400 different kinds of wine, on top of a menu that is constantly changing. Keep it in mind that these waiters are dealing with upper class people who expect nothing less than superior service and for their waiter to know the menu, what goes with what, and all of that.

The waiters there make $50,000 - 60,000 a year.

There is more that goes into than you think. Not all these waiters are low life people without an education.

Are you telling me that if you were to go eat at one of these places, all you would tip would be 10% regardless?

Look, the way I see it is like this. The waiters work off an hourly wage of $2.13 or whatever it is.

I completely understand the idea that, "Okay all this guy or girl is doing is refilling my glass, writing down my order, and coming to check on me and whomever every 10 mins." ----- So why tip when they basically are doing "nothing?" I get that mindset, but you have to really look at it as to how they make their money. If you made $2/hr and their wage is based on a society that is supposed to tip, just at least give them 10 %. I make my living off of tips. Given I park cars as my part time job in school, it still is my only source of income and I do my best to make sure I provide the best service.

But also, for those who have been to high end restaurants and seen how much knowledge those servers have to attain and know to work their, I dont see why you cant tip well especially if you can afford to eat at a place like that. They know the menu by heart, what wines to recommend, etc.
Woopty damn do. Go eat at a family Oriental spot and they got their 10 y/o daughters doing this +%%% My neice is 3 and I can ask her to go get me a Coke and she can tell the difference between it and the other sodas. As far as what drinks go with what dishes, is it some formula that requires great experience, age, and skill to know? Nope, wrote memorization and that's ignoring the fact it is subjective anyways. If you can't remember, write it down. I still fail to recognize that as a skill that is just deserving of a greater tip and recognition than anything else. As for them making 2 bucks an hr. they voluntarily signed up for it, so my heart does not bleed. If they were born into some sort of waitor slavery, where they wanted to get a regular minimum wage job,but oppression forbade it, I'd make it rain.

But you signed up to make $2 an hr because 1 you know it's an unsophisticated, low skill profession and not "worthy" of much more anyways, but it's a "risk" you take that some people don't fall for the whole gratuity/service industry scam but knowing most will and on a Friday night you can easily brag about making 200 bucks in 4 hrs just filling drinks. End of the day, they generally come out ahead.

If I owned a restaurant, I'd definitely be a 2 bucks + tips type of owner too. It cuts my operating costs tremendously, about 75% per employee versus paying them like minimum wage. I've seen places that switched from one to the other (from paying full wage to deferring that onto the customers) and didn't even alter prices.

My man, have you ever been to a really high end restaurant? By high end I mean like at least $35-40 a head without drinks...... I'm sure you have......
I valet for a steakhouse that falls in this category, and they literally have a wine cellar with about 300-400 different kinds of wine, on top of a menu that is constantly changing. Keep it in mind that these waiters are dealing with upper class people who expect nothing less than superior service and for their waiter to know the menu, what goes with what, and all of that.

The waiters there make $50,000 - 60,000 a year.

There is more that goes into than you think. Not all these waiters are low life people without an education.

Are you telling me that if you were to go eat at one of these places, all you would tip would be 10% regardless?

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

"I wish"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I was asking the other guy if he was Asian.
But as to what you said, I mean there isnt anything wrong with not valeting. I mean some places when I go out, I dont use the valet service. Its honestly because I work in the industry and there are a lot of shady dudes who I wouldnt trust parking my car as much as I hate to say that. I only valet at places where my company runs the parking lots. 
laugh.gif

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

"I wish"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I was asking the other guy if he was Asian.
But as to what you said, I mean there isnt anything wrong with not valeting. I mean some places when I go out, I dont use the valet service. Its honestly because I work in the industry and there are a lot of shady dudes who I wouldnt trust parking my car as much as I hate to say that. I only valet at places where my company runs the parking lots. 
laugh.gif

I valet for a steakhouse that falls in this category, and they literally have a wine cellar with about 300-400 different kinds of wine, on top of a menu that is constantly changing. Keep it in mind that these waiters are dealing with upper class people who expect nothing less than superior service and for their waiter to know the menu, ehat goes with what, and all of that.

The waiters here make $50,000 - 60,000 a year there.

99% of NT'ers need to save all the money they can to finance their e92s
laugh.gif

I valet for a steakhouse that falls in this category, and they literally have a wine cellar with about 300-400 different kinds of wine, on top of a menu that is constantly changing. Keep it in mind that these waiters are dealing with upper class people who expect nothing less than superior service and for their waiter to know the menu, ehat goes with what, and all of that.

99% of NT'ers need to save all the money they can to finance their e92s
laugh.gif

Yes. Hell. you can rack up that much at a low priced casual restaurant like AppleBee's or TGIF. I scarcely drink so that's immaterial anyways. but who is to say this wine goes with this dish? What if I like a different combo?

I don't eat out a great deal anyways. I find the whole tipping thing insufferable. Let's compare say an Applebee's to a higher end restaurant. If both waiters do the same, take my order, refill my drink 2 or 3 times in a half hour time period, deliver my check, should the one in the more expensive restaurant really get paid more, simply because his restaurant charges more for the food? But the main issue is preparing my own food, I have more control and piece of mind about what goes into it. Can't have salty minimum wage workers handling my food on a regular basis. We all know they aren't above something passive aggressive like tampering with your food.

I never said waiters were lowlifes or lacking education, but if you are making 60k doing it, then I am in the wrong industry. All that college and work related certifications, damn that; should have been practicing my plate carrying.

Yes. Hell. you can rack up that much at a low priced casual restaurant like AppleBee's or TGIF. I scarcely drink so that's immaterial anyways. but who is to say this wine goes with this dish? What if I like a different combo?

I don't eat out a great deal anyways. I find the whole tipping thing insufferable. Let's compare say an Applebee's to a higher end restaurant. If both waiters do the same, take my order, refill my drink 2 or 3 times in a half hour time period, deliver my check, should the one in the more expensive restaurant really get paid more, simply because his restaurant charges more for the food? But the main issue is preparing my own food, I have more control and piece of mind about what goes into it. Can't have salty minimum wage workers handling my food on a regular basis. We all know they aren't above something passive aggressive like tampering with your food.

I never said waiters were lowlifes or lacking education, but if you are making 60k doing it, then I am in the wrong industry. All that college and work related certifications, damn that; should have been practicing my plate carrying.

Is there more pressure to tip waiters VS bartenders? Or backwards?

I almost always tip bartenders, partly because I know I'll be coming back 99% of the time...but maybe part of that is my fear of a weak drink that ain't worth my $4
sick.gif
Plus I feel like bartenders are under more stress and have more personal input on the product you buy, so they earned it more. But that's compared to a regular waiter at like Denny's or some *%#! 

Is there more pressure to tip waiters VS bartenders? Or backwards?

I almost always tip bartenders, partly because I know I'll be coming back 99% of the time...but maybe part of that is my fear of a weak drink that ain't worth my $4
sick.gif
Plus I feel like bartenders are under more stress and have more personal input on the product you buy, so they earned it more. But that's compared to a regular waiter at like Denny's or some *%#! 

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Dudes tip even if the service is bad?
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Even when the service is bad, I'll leave like 10%.....
my gf on the other hand, will not leave anything except a note on the back of the receipt telling the server how bad he/she was 
laugh.gif

roll.gif
Yall not scurred that yall food may taste a lil' tangy when yall return?

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Dudes tip even if the service is bad?
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Even when the service is bad, I'll leave like 10%.....
my gf on the other hand, will not leave anything except a note on the back of the receipt telling the server how bad he/she was 
laugh.gif

roll.gif
Yall not scurred that yall food may taste a lil' tangy when yall return?

Almost always at least 20% unless the service was terrible, then just 10. I used to be server so I understand what it feels like get a *#@!!% tip.

Almost always at least 20% unless the service was terrible, then just 10. I used to be server so I understand what it feels like get a *#@!!% tip.

Back
Top Bottom