Are you the 99% ? - Wallstreet Come Get It...

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

ooIRON MANoo wrote

Wall Street has America by the balls right now, and they really don't do ***#.  They make money out of imaginary money.  

They make money from people like us whom are taught to save and invest.  
For example... for all you folks that contribute to a retirement plan... Do you know how much in fees you pay for your 401(k) to be administered? Americans contribute up to 15% of their Wages annually to these retirement plans and these investment firms are just STEALING your money by charging enormous fees which we the participants don't even know about.  

Why?  

Because it wasn't to their benefit to disclose these fees on the statements they sent you.  The govt has known this and finally after all these years and now that our retirement plans are plummeting, this govt has finally passed legislation which requires that all fees paid are to be disclosed in our statements which will take affect next year.  Why did it take so long for them to pass this law?  Wall Street controls the Govt by using Lobbyists. 

IF-AA187_SMALL_G_20090723123804.jpg

tumblr_lsnlyvZ8Q61r25y9yo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lslq6oK4Cs1r25y9yo1_500.jpg

IONO ABOUT THIS ONE....Child Support is mandatory and it's for the child. (I pay it with a smile) - They recently changed the law so that it is based on both parent's income; no reason to complain....

tumblr_lslqg943Hk1r25y9yo1_500.jpg

I was on food stamps, donated plasma, and worked 40 hours a week so I could afford a roof over my head while I was in school. I lived at home for a year and a half working overnight shifts at a gym for minimum wage so I could make minimum payments on the debt I accumulated in school.

Never once did I blame anyone for the choices I made...instead I worked my +$* off and found an amazing job.

I look at stuff like this as a giant excuse. A way to blame a lack of effort and drive on others.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by goDie

Originally Posted by Al Audi

well. guess im not in the 99%

im not ballin but im very well off.
especially since i didnt finish school.

one day....maybe.

This is exactly how THE MAN wants you to think.
Give us just enough crumbs to think we have no need to fight the system.

no it is a messed up system but at the end of the day what can i do?
was i gonna call out of my FT job with premium health insurance to go stand on a bridge?

ohwell.gif
im with you Audi, although i sympathize with some of these individuals and im realistic that im not ammune to one day God forbid losing everything i got in the drop of a dime, right this instance im blessed, while others scramble for jobs, i have a FT and a PT both with great benefits and on top of that grinding with my photography biz, although i can live on one job, i rather not risk losing my only job and being unemployed....my luck must be really crappy if I was to lose both my jobs.....best of luck to everyone going through the struggle.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by MrPolow23

i Work for an investment Firm.(Doesn't Matter which) last week account for 200,000. Pay Checks  15,000-30,000 every check. 
Firm takes a % and walk with the rest. 

Get your series 7's Stop crying!
laugh.gif
Because you probably work for an investment firm that got bailed out with tax/govt dollars while many Americans continued to drown in debt.

You really don't do anything, you trade "assets" and "stocks" things that are not visible, just numbers on the board that constantly get floated around.  Sure some of these people made poor choices, but so did the banks and iBankers, that don't really do much for our society.  Which brings me to this point:

if you can't afford college dont go, many young men/women make that choice every day...you can't expect the govt to bail you out do you know how many people they would have to bail and what about the people who didnt go to school because they couldnt afford it, if you bail out the kids with crazy loans shouldnt you also give money to kids who couldnt afford to go to school
1. People who say they couldn't go to school because they couldn't afford it are full of ***#.  It's a cop out to help them feel better for not having the drive to finish school.

2. People feel like they have to go to college because America doesn't really make ***# anymore.  It's all outsourced.

I know NT's solution is for everyone to be Finance/Econ majors and everyone to work in Wall St.  If that is the case then the system is #%*#$#, 'cause you wont be doing what you want to do in terms of passion your just doing something to fill your bank account.

What about those that want to be educators?  Most liberal arts majors become teachers, then they get crappy pay to deal with crappy funding.
What about those that want to be Police Officers?
Firefighters?
Civil Servants?

Wall Street has America by the balls right now, and they really don't do ***#.  They make money out of imaginary money.  Most iBankers never even see physical dough that they constantly wheel and deal.  Frankly, not everyone is "about that life".  Lie, cheat, steal, deceit...robbing Peter (USA) to pay Paul (Investors, BoD).  I know dudes that are iBankers, it's truly a sad world, unless you are all about the money.

I'm part of the 99%, but I'm not in a hole.  My decisions have all been well thought out and meticulous.

Zero Debt
No School Loans
BA
Working on my MPA for Free
Great Job
Awesome benefits including free tuition.
Top 25 Undergrad institution
Top 10 Grad institution
Forever grateful

I'm not religious, I do believe in some sort of a higher power.  I'm not made for Wall St. life although numbers and math have always come easy to me (baseball stat junkie
laugh.gif
).  Unfortunately I have a conscience and from what I heard if you work in banking you shouldn't have a soul or a conscience
laugh.gif

I have had life experiences that no amount of money can replace, and yes I had to sacrifice money to experience those things.

I do believe the system is #%*#$# up, the people that do the least get compensated the most.  America is a great country, it is my country, and will always be grateful for what it has provided for me.  However, I'm not dense or naive and I know that America has lost it's way.  It continues to plunder the poor of what little assets they have in order to feed the greed of the 1%.

There will be a day where America will be what it once was, I don't think it will happen in my life time.

Great post
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by iM COOL C

To everyone saying "go to a community college & kick its $%!" ... let me just see if I got this

So assuming what you guys are saying is going to community college means going to an "easier" school than a regular 4 year school... meaning its cheaper more affordable to go to, but still your getting a degree after 60 credits... then your supposed to do SOOOOO good that a 4 year college is supposed to impressed by your "$%! kicking" of the community college that they should PAY for your education..

But what if I went to this community college that doesn't dorm, that requires gas/bus/train money, oh and I have to buy books and I have to work full time because you know not everyone has parents, financial aid, blessed with good grades in HS, ideal situations, normal upbringing whatever... And to now have to worry about the corporations taking everyones money for now and later is unacceptable.

No loans are out there, no start up money, the odds of the next Steve Jobs / George Lucas whoever to come out in the next 20 years isn't likely. Cost of living is going up, more babies are being born, the "99%" is expanding by the day.

Nothings wrong with living check to check, but to know that a check is coming or available if I look/work hard enough is reassuring as opposed to not even being able to afford to get a !!##$+!+ degree that won't guarantee a damn thing..

My bartending license is worth more than my associates from Kingsborough. The teaching in schools is getting worse & we just lay off teachers especially young ones.. smh where we headed with that thinking
i dont know if im misunderstanding what you are saying, but if you are implying going to a cheap community college is a bad idea, you ARE WRONG....
making a carreer choice is probably the first fork in the road for all of us, its a deciding factor of how the rest of your life will pan out, most freshmen in college have no clue what they want to do in life, yet they start off taking 50k+ loans for wasted education, majors that they will probably end up changing their mind about within the next year, i see it happen way too often, the %%#$*# up thing is that now they already in the hole....had they gone to a community college either financial aid would have covered or their loans would be minimum and depending what type of career they choose to follow, they can be very well off with an associates straight from a community college (medical field based)...after that you are still fairly young, but experienced enough to make a goood decision about what you want to do....who says is too late to enroll in a better college? and continue your education??....

I went to a community college, financial aid paid for the 3 years i was there, every semester i collected a check for close to 1500$....i graduated with an AAS in Resp. Therapy, no debt whatsoever, making over 60k in one job and close to 40k in my other, granted in order to get the best out of a Community College you'll be very limited about which way in life you want to go, but going there as opposed to a 4 year 50k/year university is definately not a poor choice...specially at a young age when everyone wants to be either a doctor or a lawyer until they get hit with the first reality check of their life, that IS NOT EASY.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by iM COOL C

To everyone saying "go to a community college & kick its $%!" ... let me just see if I got this

So assuming what you guys are saying is going to community college means going to an "easier" school than a regular 4 year school... meaning its cheaper more affordable to go to, but still your getting a degree after 60 credits... then your supposed to do SOOOOO good that a 4 year college is supposed to impressed by your "$%! kicking" of the community college that they should PAY for your education..

But what if I went to this community college that doesn't dorm, that requires gas/bus/train money, oh and I have to buy books and I have to work full time because you know not everyone has parents, financial aid, blessed with good grades in HS, ideal situations, normal upbringing whatever... And to now have to worry about the corporations taking everyones money for now and later is unacceptable.

No loans are out there, no start up money, the odds of the next Steve Jobs / George Lucas whoever to come out in the next 20 years isn't likely. Cost of living is going up, more babies are being born, the "99%" is expanding by the day.

Nothings wrong with living check to check, but to know that a check is coming or available if I look/work hard enough is reassuring as opposed to not even being able to afford to get a !!##$+!+ degree that won't guarantee a damn thing..

My bartending license is worth more than my associates from Kingsborough. The teaching in schools is getting worse & we just lay off teachers especially young ones.. smh where we headed with that thinking
i dont know if im misunderstanding what you are saying, but if you are implying going to a cheap community college is a bad idea, you ARE WRONG....
making a carreer choice is probably the first fork in the road for all of us, its a deciding factor of how the rest of your life will pan out, most freshmen in college have no clue what they want to do in life, yet they start off taking 50k+ loans for wasted education, majors that they will probably end up changing their mind about within the next year, i see it happen way too often, the %%#$*# up thing is that now they already in the hole....had they gone to a community college either financial aid would have covered or their loans would be minimum and depending what type of career they choose to follow, they can be very well off with an associates straight from a community college (medical field based)...after that you are still fairly young, but experienced enough to make a goood decision about what you want to do....who says is too late to enroll in a better college? and continue your education??....

I went to a community college, financial aid paid for the 3 years i was there, every semester i collected a check for close to 1500$....i graduated with an AAS in Resp. Therapy, no debt whatsoever, making over 60k in one job and close to 40k in my other, granted in order to get the best out of a Community College you'll be very limited about which way in life you want to go, but going there as opposed to a 4 year 50k/year university is definately not a poor choice...specially at a young age when everyone wants to be either a doctor or a lawyer until they get hit with the first reality check of their life, that IS NOT EASY.
Well said ksteezy. 
And don't make the mistake that CC is way easier than regular 4 year college. It is simply not the case. I know the buildings may not look as nice, and it may not have the idea of college you've been seeing in tv and movies your whole life.  And doing good at a cc doesn't mean ppl will bust down your doors to hire you or give you money for school. If you look at most 4 year college websites, the transfer scholarships they offer have pay out way more than freshman scholarships. By then, your pretty much a good student. PLus you gotta also realize that your first 2 years of college are basically the ssame courses you took in high school repeated if you graduated above the recommended plan ( basically took AP or IB courses). In hindsight, I'd feel better paying full 4 year college price for my junior and senior level classes that actually have to deal with my major, then pay thousands of dollars for english, history, literature and basic science courses. Those first 2 years of college are a weeding out process. 

Originally Posted by devildog1776

to those people who feel like they are not part of the 99 percent ask yourself these questions

- do you OWN a 80,000 car?
- do you live in a million dollar house?
- do you have 500000 plus in stock options?

if you answer 1 out of the 3 as yes you are not part of the 99 percent...

just because most kids go straight to college after high school is the lack of oversight being set forth by the parents... most of these degrees being offered are a joke in todays time especially when everyone thinks they know everything..

the cccupywallst movement is not only a msg to wall st but also a msg to WASHINGTON.... the time is coming for a drastic change and the government wil have to make a decision or step down ....

the system has failed us...

if most of you lost your jobs tomorrow, you'll be broke in 2 weeks maybe a month....

is that suppose to be life?
QFT. REALEST STATEMENT IN HERE.

A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE IN THE 99% AND DON'T EVEN KNOW IT.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

to those people who feel like they are not part of the 99 percent ask yourself these questions

just because most kids go straight to college after high school is the lack of oversight being set forth by the parents... most of these degrees being offered are a joke in todays time especially when everyone thinks they know everything..

the cccupywallst movement is not only a msg to wall st but also a msg to WASHINGTON.... the time is coming for a drastic change and the government wil have to make a decision or step down ....

if most of you lost your jobs tomorrow, you'll be broke in 2 weeks maybe a month....

who came up with this 99% idea though....is it an actual study? srs question...
just because you dont drive an r8, own a mansion and have a #%@%$%!# of money invested in stocks, DOESNT mean that you dont have a savings that can hold you down for a bit, or that you dont live an ok life....the thing you are missing is that EVERYTHING IS RELEVANT....the more you have, the more you spend...that same dude that has the r8 and the mansion, will go broke just as quick if not quicker than the average joe, if they were to lose their primary source of income....rich people dont go broke?

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

who came up with this 99% idea though....is it an actual study? srs question...
just because you dont drive an r8, own a mansion and have a #%@%$%!# of money invested in stocks, DOESNT mean that you dont have a savings that can hold you down for a bit, or that you dont live an ok life....the thing you are missing is that EVERYTHING IS RELEVANT....the more you have, the more you spend...that same dude that has the r8 and the mansion, will go broke just as quick if not quicker than the average joe, if they were to lose their primary source of income....rich people dont go broke?

I FEEL WHAT YOU ARE SAYING KSTEEZY. A LOT MORE PEOPLE SHOULD JUST BE MORE FRUGAL WITH THEIR MONEY AND STOP TRYING TO LIVE THE LIFESTYLE OTHERS ARE LIVING. THIS IS WHAT GETS MOST IN TROUBLE. I KNOW IF I LOST MY JOB TODAY I COULD LIVE UP TO 2 YEARS OFF MY SAVINGS WITHOUT CHANGING MY CURRENT LIFESTYLE. I GUESS I'M JUST THAT CHEAP WITH MY MONEY AND I SAVE JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING FROM MY CHECKS THAT ISN'T USED FOR FOOD, RENT, OR GAS AND HAVE BEEN DOING SO EVER SINCE I GRADUATED AND GOT MY ENGINEERING JOB.

IT MAY BE HARSH OF ME TO SAY THIS, BUT NOT EVERYONE CAN 'MAKE IT'. LIFE IN MY OPINION IS A ZERO SUMS GAME. THERE WILL BE WINNERS AND THERE WILL BE LOSERS. THERE WILL BE

1. SOME WHO WORKED HARD, HAD LUCK ON THEIR SIDE AND BECAME SUCCESSFUL.
2. SOME WHO DIDN'T DO SHIET AND BECAME SUCCESSFUL.
3. SOME WHO JUST STAY AVERAGE THEIR ENTIRE LIVES.
4. SOME WHO WORKED HARD  AND STILL AMOUNTED TO NOTHING/POOR.
5. SOME WHO DIDN'T DO SHIET AND AMOUNTED TO NOTHING/POOR.

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE CLASSES OF PEOPLE. I DON'T EVEN THINK I CAN IMAGINE A WORLD WITHOUT CLASSES. IF EVERYONE WAS BANKERS, DOCTORS, CEO'S, ETC. THEN WHO WILL WORK AT MCDONALDS, WALMART, CLEAN GUTTERS, PICK UP TRASH? SHOULD THOSE WHO PERFORM THOSE JOBS BE COMPENSATED THE SAME AS DOCTORS?

THOUGH, I DO FEEL SYMPATHY THOSE IN THE ARTICLE, WHAT DO THEY EXPECT TO HAPPEN? SOMEONE GIVE THEM MONEY AND BAIL THEM OUT OF THEIR LOANS? IMO, THEY SHOULD JUST ACCEPT THEIR FATE FROM THE BAD DECISONS THEY MADE AND AT LEAST TRY AND STEER THEIR CHILDREN AWAY FROM THOSE SAME DECISIONS IN THE FUTURE....

Co sign on memphis and Ksteezy. Btw city/state 4 yr universities also offer a great discount on education (Queens College CUNY only cost me 16k for four years) and still fools choose to pay 100k that they dont have. Stop paying for things you cant afford, private universities are for the rich/fools. The cycle needs to stop, and i forsee a future in which degrees have no weight in success.

The concept of broke only applies as long as you still view having money as not being broke.

Fact of the matter is, you are free to live off the grid. You don't need the internet. You don't need a car. You don't need a JOB.

You know how to cook? Plant? Use tools? It's simple. This entire Occupy Wall Street movement is commendable, it is. And I respect their points, and I agree for the most part. But to whomever said if I lost my job (which pays less than $80k a year, for the record, since you used that figure) I'd be broke in two weeks. Nah. I'd get out of my lease, I'd sell my car and any other things that aren't necessities in my life and I'd either move back to my hometown and get another job, which wouldn't be hard, or I'd self sustain.

You guys do realize there was a time before computers, wal-mart, and automobiles right? America's problems stem from AMERICA for the most part, but just like Americans, we're passing the buck. I went to school for free, played around, and ended up having to pay tuition my last two years... however, when summer time came, I went out, made the money I needed doing whatever it took, and paid by tuition up front. No one forced anyone to take a student loan. A car loan. A mortgage. You CHOOSE these things.

I have a friend who quit a $100,000 a year job 3 months ago because she just didn't feel comfortable. She's got about enough $ to live off of for another month or so, then she's probably going to sell her house and move home. Like that, that simple. It's part of life. Yeah, it sucks. She isn't jumping head over heels or doing cartwheels over it, but she's not sitting at home crying either.

This is your life. It's happening, right now, and it doesn't wait for you to get back on your feet.

For all of you struggling like some of those kids on that tumblr, you're in my prayers.

Reading a lot of these posts show how much of a fantasy world many of you are living it. Yall say nobody's tellin u to go to college, they've been sayin it for years "Go to college, get a degree, get a good job a HS diploma can't get u."

Go to a cheaper college, cool, that degree from that cheaper college won't be good enough for many companies. Remember Harvard, Yale, etc are still prized universities.

Work hard and get your school paid for. I know ppl who graduated top of my class in HS w/ a 4.6 GPA and still couldn't get a full ride.

Yall gotta understand that the system has failed the majority. When u got ppl gettin slaps on the wrists from ruining the lives of millions with the stroke of a pen, you have a problem.

Meanwhile you got firms taking extravagant "business retreats" to Vegas at plush hotels and writing them off as business expenses.

Working up to living very comfortably w/o a degree is a luck notion, not everyone will do it.

Now a days it's more who you know and not what you know. And unless u luck up, the small clerk or mail runner won't get that chance to rub elbows w/ the big dogs.

"You control your own destiny"

Do you want the government to be your daddy or not make up your mind people
30t6p3b.gif

Everybody complaining but in reality there is a lot of people getting $$$ out here & u get what u settle for and a lot of people don't know how to manage $$ so that's their fault.

Life is all about your decisions

As messed up as it may sound a lot of our parents failed us I can't be mad at these rich people who's family set the way for them to follow.

I mean nothing last forever people should have had $$$ set aside for rainy days instead they blaming the government for their own greed how can u go flat broke live within your means.

the 99% are suckers. w/o a staggered tierd system, there'd be no QS, everyone is a GR< do what u can to get ahead.

crying on the web is th esame as foundling ur phones and posting on faceboook. THAT is the 99%.

Thanks for this thread im writing an essay on capitalism vs socialism and this has helped me out.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Reading a lot of these posts show how much of a fantasy world many of you are living it. Yall say nobody's tellin u to go to college, they've been sayin it for years "Go to college, get a degree, get a good job a HS diploma can't get u."

Go to a cheaper college, cool, that degree from that cheaper college won't be good enough for many companies. Remember Harvard, Yale, etc are still prized universities.

Work hard and get your school paid for. I know ppl who graduated top of my class in HS w/ a 4.6 GPA and still couldn't get a full ride.

Yall gotta understand that the system has failed the majority. When u got ppl gettin slaps on the wrists from ruining the lives of millions with the stroke of a pen, you have a problem.

Meanwhile you got firms taking extravagant "business retreats" to Vegas at plush hotels and writing them off as business expenses.

Working up to living very comfortably w/o a degree is a luck notion, not everyone will do it.

Now a days it's more who you know and not what you know. And unless u luck up, the small clerk or mail runner won't get that chance to rub elbows w/ the big dogs.

Most people dont get into a top 25 school. So the harvard and the yales are for 2% of the college populuation so spare it. Also im sure having 100k more in my pocket than you outweighs your advantage from going to a run of the mill private school for a similar education. Times are changing, true practical skills/networking outweigh investing for a piece of paper as it should. College never prepares you for the real world nor are most of the things learned there used in your actual career save a few select trades. I admit many people were led like sheep into thinking otherwise, but common sense screams dont buy or do things you cannot afford. Why is schooling different? I noticed many immigrants go straight into these public universities and end up with jobs, never falling for the notion of paying hundreds of thousands for bragging rights.

Originally Posted by prestigeworldwidex21

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither"

-Benjamin Franklin 

Edit: There are some good points being made in here, btw

Back
Top Bottom