Asian Culture Discussion Thread

huh? what true motivation? why did you have to put protecting in quotations like it means something else
Just re-read the last dozen or so responses

Re: Motivation

Same with the protection piece. That word has multiple meanings in this context. That is why it was quoted. We can't pretend protection is ONLY from the suns harmful rays.

Loving your (darker) skin

Vs.

"Protecting" your pale skin

Can't be looked at as one in the same and/or possessing the same true motivation

If you love something, don’t you protect it?

You should love your natural skin tone. Dark or pale, doesn’t matter. You should love your skin regardless. I understand darker skinned people in history are looked down upon, but that doesn’t mean it’s logical or right to attack people who love being pale (in this case E. Asians who are naturally pale), if that’s the case, then loving how you were born should be thrown out the window, including for darker skinned people.

Again, you are leaving out the nuance.

It isn't simply, "Love your skin and protect it at all costs."

You have to consider the benefits of HAVING lighter skin and the detriment OF having darker skin.

That is why I am saying it isn't a 1 to 1, "Love YOUR skin" comparison, because the starting point (benefits) aren't similar.

Do you get what I mean??

Just re-read the last dozen or so responses

Re: Motivation

Same with the protection piece. That word has multiple meanings in this context. That is why it was quoted. We can't pretend protection is ONLY from the suns harmful rays.

this topic has been discussed in this thread before and the replies others have gave are all valid imo. beauty standards, old way of thinking etc. those are the reasons some asians are trying to protect their skin. do you think there are other reasons?

this topic has been discussed in this thread before and the replies others have gave are all valid imo. beauty standards, old way of thinking etc. those are the reasons some asians are trying to protect their skin. do you think there are other reasons?
Those are exactly the reasons I believe people are "protecting" their skin.

Again, you are leaving out the nuance.

It isn't simply, "Love your skin and protect it at all costs."

You have to consider the benefits of HAVING lighter skin and the detriment OF having darker skin.

That is why I am saying it isn't a 1 to 1, "Love YOUR skin" comparison, because the starting point (benefits) aren't similar.

Do you get what I mean??

This isn’t 1 v 1. I clearly wrote in the beginning that this implies to E Asian.

East Asians in general have pale skin. What you call “benefit” is the norm because people are naturally pale in E Asia to begin with.

Those are exactly the reasons I believe people are "protecting" their skin.

So you believe that people who are born pale should go get a tan and get darker skin now right? Because if they don’t then they’re conforming to old beauty standards? News flash, your natural skin color isn’t a beauty standard. Whether you’re black, pale, etc You’re sounding like one of those “fake woke” people right.

There’s nothing wrong with protecting your skin from the sun but to buy and use cream to purposely lighten your skin, that’s some some self hate.

I thought this was the whole point of the discussion. When did this become about protecting your skin? :lol:

Reactions: ASE
While we’re on the topic of appearances.

I’m not digging the korean sweaty makeup look

Examples? :nerd:
4ee0fb25cfb00120d666c203c852a678

korean-glass-skin.png

Tbh I don't even really tan. When I'm out in the sun I just turn red.

So there are times when I cover up a bit, I'll wear like a long sleeve linen shirt or something

Have to stop myself from dissertations and essays. Will say this, there's an actual difference between "whitening/lightening" vs. "brightening" their skin tone. Apparently. For women.

I think for most Asians, the root cause of all this skin protection makeup, sublock, Darth Vader masks is literally so their skin won't burn. Won't age. Wont get spots and freckles etc.

Sunburn isn't as much an issue for me. But I make sure I'm slathered in sunblock when I'm golfing.
I'm unusually dark for my family - all pretty pale Koreans. Nothing wrong with being darker, was just viewed as having inherited the pre- Mongol "ancient Korean" gene lol.

Funny how that works though....I get the "you're pretty dark for a Korean" from mostly non-Koreans.

There is a component of "darker" skin as "poor", difference in social status etc. But it has nothing to do with the dynamics of color as we see it in the US.
Modernity, socio-economics, and history are the roots.

Man I hated visiting my older relatives on my mom's side as a kid (they're the really pale European looking kind). I'm naturally beige but I'd get even darker from soccer; some of my relatives used to strip me down and cover me in all types of herbs to get my natural skin tone back :lol:

My pale relatives that moved to the US all live in Cali and have permanent tans as a result, so no one here gives a ***@ :lol:

I also think that other than the extreme examples like mine, t's generally limited to women as well. I know a lot of really dark Japanese, Chinese, Indian, etc guys that have pale girlfriends/wives. It really does suck for the women though, because I never hear comments about guys' skin tones (but always hear comments from older people like "she's pretty BUT would be prettier if she was lighter")

And yes, while a big part of the covering up is for "fairness", skin protection is also a huge part. My mom always talks about "cover up and wear sunblock so you don't look like a leather purse at 40 years old, like the white people here do"

Last edited:
And yes, while a big part of the covering up is for "fairness", skin protection is also a huge part. My mom always talks about "cover up and wear sunblock so you don't look like a leather purse at 40 years old, like the white people here do"

:rofl:

My mom always talks about "cover up and wear sunblock so you don't look like a leather purse at 40 years old, like the white people here do"

:lol: rofl leather purse.

Seriously though, E. Asians moms and grandmas man.

My g'ma used to say all kinds of stuff to this old white lady neighbor, cussing at her in Korean, saying how her perm and skin looked all leathery lol.
Somehow they both knew what the other was saying lol.

uy1b9p3i0fu21.jpg

are parents not doing enough to make their kids proud to be asian or is it up to the kids to figure it out for themselves?

If she’s not into Asian guys, then she’s not into them. I’m not really into Asian women but men don’t really get flack for that. I’d want tall kids so Asian women wouldn’t be the best candidates for me either.

Back
Top Bottom