Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Are you Thai? Bangla Road in Phuket was a life changing experience, in the sense that I told myself "I can't end up like these guys". So wild and disrespectful....

not thai, but ive been spending a lot of time in thailand. i dont mind the seedy places actually. because im asian, working girls seemed more relax around me. the street i was talking about in my post is khao san road. but yeah, westeners, do go overboard in those places, bangla road, walking street in pattaya, nana in bangkok.

not thai, but ive been spending a lot of time in thailand. i dont mind the seedy places actually. because im asian, working girls seemed more relax around me. the street i was talking about in my post is khao san road. but yeah, westeners, do go overboard in those places, bangla road, walking street in pattaya, nana in bangkok.

Best part of my trip was watching drunk Australian meatheads in Koh Phi Phi hopping into the Muay Thai ring to win buckets of beer; they were getting WORKED. Saw dudes half passed out on the sidewalk after their "fights"

Meanwhile my friend and I bought the same bucket for $5 USD and just enjoyed watching the carnage. They were getting the beatdowns they deserved but rarely get cause the locals are dependent on their $.

Halfway through the trip we decided "@#$@ meeting other people" and just started renting boats to take out to the different islands/beaches in the area

Last edited:
Also there have been times when non Asians have assumed positive things about me. I was once omw to the gym to hoop and was wearing Oregon Ducks shorts and a light skin chick randomly stopped me and asked if I play for them :lol: I was so caught off guard that I laughed and said no. Deep down I was flattered as hell

Black women love asians. Well, super nicr to me anyways. hahhhahah.

Maybe it's the way I was brought up...Until I went to college, my parents made it a point to take me to spend a lot of time in their respective countries every summer. They forced me to go visit all my relatives, hang out with them, take them out to dinner, etc, even the ones I didn't really like. They told me "This is your duty as a member of the family, cause one day you'll be the man of the family that everyone looks up to". I used to roll my eyes when they used to say "You think you're American but you'll always be an immigrant to them" but now I 100% agree

Yeah they were extremely overdramatic with the family duty thing (I don't talk to 99% of those relatives these days anyway due to drama) but I think hanging out with them regularly prevented me from becoming whitewashed.

Exposing your kids to their native culture/other cultures in general is extremely important; otherwise they're gonna grow up and have weird traits like only being able to speak English or not being able to eat spicy food (I'll disown my kids if they can't :lol: )

Good parents. Groomed you to be a proper man.

I'm 6'2", used to ball daily in my younger days. "retired" now lol.
This was at a court I'd regularly go to. Had about 8 different courts, each court seemingly for different groups ie. families with young children, kids, old guys, and real talk, then racially divided. One court was the "mixed" court.
Definitely felt the stereotype against us when trying to get "next", would get passed up or told ask him or whatever.
This was in the midwest where I assume people weren't used to seeing Asians playing ball.

So first time I touched the ball I'd always try to throw it down. Dudes were always like :sick:, an asian?
Can't barely touch the rim now :lol:

This was at a court I'd regularly go to. Had about 8 different courts, each court seemingly for different groups ie. families with young children, kids, old guys, and real talk, then racially divided. One court was the "mixed" court.
Definitely felt the stereotype against us when trying to get "next", would get passed up or told ask him or whatever.
This was in the midwest where I assume people weren't used to seeing Asians playing ball.

So first time I touched the ball I'd always try to throw it down. Dudes were always like :sick:, an asian?

But I wouldn't assume everyone who's 6'1 to be a NCAA div 1 hooper

06-tall-kid-card.w710.h473.jpg

There's alot of Asian hoopers in Toronto but I know what you mean :lol:

Playing baseball was the same and even less Asians involved

is it wrong if someone calls me j Lin on the basketball court? I am not Taiwanese nor do I model my moves after him

is it wrong if someone calls me j Lin on the basketball court? I am not Taiwanese nor do I model my moves after him

If he’s a close friend and it’s an inside joke, then it’s ok. If he somebody you don’t know, kindly tell him that isn’t your name. If he continues to call you that after you’ve asked him not to, then hit him in the face with the basketball

I mean that’s just what happens on the courts. You could hit the person, or partake in pick up culture and start calling them out their name. Preferably someone considered ugly.

I come in PEACE. The word "O" that ends with TAL. When is that word acceptable to be used?

The flavor of Ramen that Nissin makes has that name, is that "cool?"

I come in ignorance

I come in PEACE. The word "O" that ends with TAL. When is that word acceptable to be used?

I come in ignorance

Yes that’s cool. Items are oriental, flavors are oriental, rugs are oriental. People are not oriental.

The definition is simply just of East Asian origin but the word itself and past usage is tied to “exoticism” and being “the other” and fear “yellow peril”.

I remember a line from a comedian or something, she was called oriental and snapped back “i am not a rug!” Lol

I come in ignorance

It probably depends on the country, but it'd be weird if I heard oriental in general lol. But obviously it makes sense to say if you're referring to a specific flavor by Ramen.

I just don't think I've ever even heard it in my life unless it was going into the history of the word.

I come in ignorance

You can just type it lol, oriental.

If you want to use it to refer to objects, oriental rug, etc ... Go for it, even though it's a little "old fashioned".

Don't use it to refer to a person though.

Where I was regionally made a difference in how often I was called Oriental. When I was in the south and east coasts, was called oriental, with and without malice, all the time.

In the midwest, I've had people stumble and mumble and run out of the stores to avoid specifying the "Asian" guy.

West Coast: when called that as a kid, it wasn't out of ignorance, 100% intentional, usually coupled with the slanted eyes and ching chang chong.
There were too many Asians for them to not know.
The sentiment was asian = yellow = Chinese = oriental = all the slurs we've heard growing up
At some point as an older child I remember my dad teaching me we don't accept being called oriental. In whatever "context" it's used.

This went for many other "harmless" terms and acts, mama-san, "Bruce", "jackie", Uncle Wong, martial arts pose, bowing, ni-hao, etc
-
I remember when Yao and then Lin came out, random dudes at courts would call me by those names. I would just call em some random bum in the NBA like Drew Gooden or Hasheem Thabeet.

:lol:
I did this exact same. But I'd call them Hubie Brown or Ahamd Rashad or some other commentator, since they had so much color commentary. This was mostly during the early - mid 2000s during the And 1 mix tape craze, so everyone trying to pull off moves. I'd just be like "globetrotters!", which would trigger them for some reason.

Guess I'll have to call em Grayson Allen next time it happens to me.

Been called the c word just minding my own business in a target. This was when I was young and didn't know what was going on. They weren't direct with it either, they didn't make eye contact with me but they said it aloud while passing through and scurried away

Back
Top Bottom