Asian Culture Discussion Thread

sfsjjang98 sfsjjang98 Actually I find myself stanning Twice more than Blackpink lol.
I think that Blackpink has got more of the western audience appeal due to the English speakers, hiphop influence etc., but in Korea, there is no comparison, Twice is the dominant
girl group.

Agree with you on the point of these girl groups when they start doing the mature concept, its the beginning of the end, but i prefer that sound over the overly cutesy songs.

Jeongyeon is bae in that group though. Long hair Short hair I dont care.

Isnt it crazy how big the height gap is between the current generation of koreans versus previous generations. It's mostly them too, other asians aren't getting that much taller.

When I visited Seoul for the first time in 2014, it seemed like the average height for a young male is at least 6'0.

You can see Asian and mainstream Asian-American culture intersecting a lot lately I feel like.

BTS obviously, but you got things like the 88rising festival that has K-Pop dudes performing next to Rich Brian, Joji, Dumbfoundead, etc.

There's a bridge being built from the Asian market to the American market whereas it use to be just one way. I feel like it's continually going to be easier and easier for Asian artists to get spotlight in America. Almost streamlined as part of their career.

Social media currency has influence I think. Those views, comments, and likes are the same whether they're from Indonesia or America. Even if it doesn't represent US sales, it can give you the clout to promote and maneuver in the US market so you eventually can have US sales.

Last edited:
It's the ugly unspoken, hidden in plain sight reality of Korea.
No surprises, especially from those involved - Seungri, YG etc. Not that other Ent companies aren't that way, but I think it's been well known the culture around YG isn't the best...

But that's not just the K- entertainment scene. Corruption and things like going on across the board.
Some dongsengs and friends who were/are in the industry from back in the 90s used to tell me some stories....the real shocker for me was that they pretty much told me many of the "rumors" are actually true.

A little conspiracy theory and all that, but essentially often times "they" will manipulate the market and manufacture scandals well in advance, hold on to them and blow the top off when needed. Dirt on nearly every single star or company in the k-ent industry apparently.

I have no idea who "they" really are....

I heard in Korea that it is customary for the host businessmen to provide prostitutes to seal a business deal. Even the wives know about it?

There are varying "levels". For sure there are wives that know about extracurricular activities, but I don't know anyone that's just blatant about it.
So I've been told....

Asian nightlife is ******* crazy man! I don't even know why people get married for. I'm just a regular guy too. If you're in the entertainment business I don't think you're even capable of loving a woman.

626 night market. Still a different vibe from Asia's markets.

Hostess clubs, Room salons, then there's the extra Derrty derrty places. Common business practice to entertain clients, vendors etc after meetings and such.
So I've been told...

Back
Top Bottom