Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Namdaemun Market in Seoul is my favorite. The street food there...god damn. Actually, the markets in Taipei are up there too...hard to decide which one is better

Screenshot_20190510-105533_Gallery.jpg

We have night market events here in the Bay Area but not really any consistent ones. I hate having to go to a restaurant just to get some basic street food (which then ends up costing $10 instead of the $1-$2 it costs in Asian cities)

Last edited:
Went to a hostess bar on Saturday in San Jose & pulled a Black chick & a Latina one back to the telly. Do the Korean hostesses speak English or are they straight from Korea? sfsjjang98 sfsjjang98

I’ve seen on youtube that california has a popular night market or two.

Went to a hostess bar on Saturday in San Jose & pulled a Black chick & a Latina one back to the telly. Do the Korean hostesses speak English or are they straight from Korea? sfsjjang98 sfsjjang98

I think there are some Korean Americans in the mix. But for the most part straight from the motherland. SoCal to up north, then to the East Coast, trickling down the midwest and south.
From what I've heard though it's a mix. Not that I know. Not my thing.

To clarify, it's not like this is an essential part of Korean/Japanese culture. It's there, but not like every single man is out there like that.
From stories I've heard, for Japan there are "regular" women, working like a side job, but then you got places with celebs or AV stars
It's like that in the top circles in Korea too.
So I've been told.

I don't like this about our culture as I feel like it feeds into the previously discussed stereotypes and fetishism of our people.

But like any society there's the dark underworld. Depending on the country I guess it's just a difference in where and how it's done.

Namdaemun Market in Seoul is my favorite. The street food there...god damn. Actually, the markets in Taipei are up there too...hard to decide which one is better

We have night market events here in the Bay Area but not really any consistent ones. I hate having to go to a restaurant just to get some basic street food (which then ends up costing $10 instead of the $1-$2 it costs in Asian cities)

Seoul really transformed rapidly - the 90s/early 2000s Seoul I grew up in looked like this. More pure and innocent in a way. Simpler, easier.
At some point, straight up morphed into a future city. Sometimes I would just walk around some of the streets in some of the older neighborhoods, just soaking it in.
Progress is good though.

Like we've mentioned before, coming back to LA from a trip to Asia. Everything looks so run down here lol.

Like we've mentioned before, coming back to LA from a trip to Asia. Everything looks so run down here lol.

It really hits me when I'm heading to work straight from the airport. When I fly back to SF "Damn, now I gotta hop on a slow @#$ train that was probably last cleaned in 1980" . When I fly back to LAX, I'm dreading the one hour in customs (why is it so damn inefficient at LAX???) then the one hour, expensive Uber to wherever I need to get to.

In both cases, I'm depressed from remembering how easy and affordable it was to get around just 24 hours ago in Seoul, Tokyo, etc. Even when it takes 1 hour to get from Incheon Airport to Seoul, it's in a cheap yet comfortable,modern, and fast train/bus with no crackheads creating scenes onboard, unlike here.

No nightmarkets in the DMV. Asian foodhalls seem to be getting popular here though. Like 4 of them opened up around me in just like the past two years.

No nightmarkets in the DMV. Asian foodhalls seem to be getting popular here though. Like 4 of them opened up around me in just like the past two years.

DMV is DC, Maryland, Virginia area right?
I lived in Fairfax for a little bit as a kid. I remember one little store selling all kinds of Asian things.
Sort of like any other city back then that wasn't SoCal or NY, no K-Town, but a little strip mall for all things Asian.
Now I think it's like the 4th largest Korean community or something.

I always thought it was interesting how the Chinese diaspora, always maintained that cultural identity- essentially isn't there a Chinatown in every major city in the world?

The night market events in the bay are dog **** and don’t deserve to be mentioned. People waiting in two hour lines for a sandwich :lol:

Hawker stalls in Singapore are :emoji_goat:

The night market events in the bay are dog **** and don’t deserve to be mentioned. People waiting in two hour lines for a sandwich :lol:

Hawker stalls in Singapore are :emoji_goat:

I haven't gone to those :lol: seems like an ABG convention geared towards getting IG likes rather than quick food to eat.

I still haven't had the Michelin star rated street food in SG. Have you tried it, and does it deserve it?

Speaking of Michelin Stars, I tried the Michelin Star Din Tai Fung in Hong Kong but honestly couldn't tell what the difference was between that and any other DTF. Honestly, the local HK spots were better and cheaper, but at least I can say I went to one without spending hundreds on it :lol:

Last edited:
I haven't gone to those :lol: seems like an ABG convention geared towards getting IG likes rather than quick food to eat.

I still haven't had the Michelin star rated street food in SG. Have you tried it, and does it deserve it?

Speaking of Michelin Stars, I tried the Michelin Star Din Tai Fung in Hong Kong but honestly couldn't tell what the difference was between that and any other DTF. Honestly, the local HK spots were better and cheaper, but at least I can say I went to one without spending hundreds on it :lol:

I went to the Michelin started Hill Street Tai Hwa noodle stall in Singapore. Was pretty hyped for this because dry mix noodles like this are one of my favorite meals (I goto https://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-nghiep-ky-mi-gia-san-francisco?utm_source=ishare all the time in the city).

Flavor wise, the sauce wasn’t my favorite because they add dark vinegar into it. I like it for my dumplings but not my noodles. The food prep is definitely a couple steps above what you get from normal restaurants though. The noodles were perfectly al dente and the meatball and wontons had a nice homemade texture to them.

81ACAB57-6087-4597-A268-8B1D41BEF0D2.jpeg

I’ve never been to the HK DTF, but I have been to the one in Arcadia and I went to the original Xinyi location in Taipei and they’re about the same. Good, but nothing I haven’t had at dozens of other local places. Hong Kong Michelin guide is wildin for that star :lol:

Last edited:
DMV is DC, Maryland, Virginia area right?
I lived in Fairfax for a little bit as a kid. I remember one little store selling all kinds of Asian things.
Sort of like any other city back then that wasn't SoCal or NY, no K-Town, but a little strip mall for all things Asian.
Now I think it's like the 4th largest Korean community or something.

I always thought it was interesting how the Chinese diaspora, always maintained that cultural identity- essentially isn't there a Chinatown in every major city in the world?

Yeah, I think I grew up in one of the few areas that didn't have any Asians, but I met a lot after high school. Definitely a big Korean community around here.

Unrelated but a few days ago we were driving through a city I hadn't been in and my friend told me that it was one of the wealthiest black cities in America, and that most of the wealthiest black communities are in Maryland.

Wandering earth quietly drops on Netflix. Dunno why they won't promote it, it's a big movie in China and I'm sure a lot of Americans would wanna see it

Wandering earth quietly drops on Netflix. Dunno why they won't promote it, it's a big movie in China and I'm sure a lot of Americans would wanna see it

Never heard of it but it said it only has a 50m budget. They probably spent all the promo money in China already.

Once they start making 200m+ budget films, thats when I can see them doing a stronger international marketing strategy.

I stopped watching after season 2, does Eddie get with that white girl he was singing end of the road for?

Also does the dad cheat with the blonde chick that always comes over?

Kinda geeky, but the overall idea is much better than the Bruce Lee wannabe stand alone movie idea.
Don’t need a martial artist with no super powers as an Asian Marvel hero. Unoriginal and just uninteresting.
Followup news:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/introducing-the-new-agents-of-atlas

On a nonserious note: whose Asian parents.

Totally dorked out for a few reading that. Funny but fitting for the times that one of them is a K-pop star.
Loved comics as a kid.
Dreams came true as a young teenager in the mid 90s when I got to meet some of the artists, that left Marvel and started Image, "behind the scenes".
Pretty freaking awesome watching some like Jim Lee and others doodling and talking smack to each other, hanging out at Comic con, when it was still about comics.
-
Rofl at that dog- I mean how do you begin to train a dog to do that - and what happens if the girl grabs her phone before finishing her work?
Seriously- someone come get their Asian parents lol.

Back
Top Bottom