Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I've visited Italy twice and didn't face any racism but I've heard a ton of bad stories. Ironically enough the highest % of ethnicity of women I've been with are Italian :lol:

They're not as outright hostile as they are towards Asians as they are towards black people, gypsies, and Jews, but it does happen. My Taiwanese friend had dudes doing the slant eyes and exaggerated bows towards her while going around Italy.

Not saying that it's the only country things like that happen, but IMO it's the only country I can think of in the Western world where it's openly done without repercussions.

I mean things like this get waved off as casual jokes in Italy

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 5.09.05 PM.png

and if you know who Mario Balotelli is, you know how much abuse he gets as an Italian from OTHER ITALIANS while representing the ITALIAN NATIONAL TEAM

They had banners reading "My captain's blood is Italian" and chants of "There will never be a black Italian" WHILE he's wearing the Italian shirt and scoring goals for them

F that ignorant Fool.
Same stuff happens in Euro soccer.
The stuff Black players go through is effed.
See all the news in Italian soccer. Continuous.
Personally have never wanted or gone over Atlantic side. And prob never will. No fascination w/Continental Europe. Pacific side is The Past and The Future.

14 years old :stoneface: they start them early over there

the restaurant reminds me of the spanish basketball team, at least they apologized after the fact but still. Its 2019 ignorance aint an excuse anymore anywhere. *****.

^ I forgot but I remember that.

there’s still racist restaurant in Italy where they charge Asians like $500 for a damn fish

Not tryna post my pic but this is the pic I showed her and she got it pretty identical. Will probably end up going back to a fade in a few weeks but trying some diff.

cannes-france-22nd-may-2019-choi-woo-shik-at-a-photocall-for-parasite-on-wednesday-22-may-2019-at-the-72nd-festival-de-cannes-palais-des-festivals-cannes-pictured-choi-woo-shik-picture-by-credit-julie-edwardsalamy-live-news-TA62W8.jpg

Last edited:
Yo, I'm not sure if this thread covers all of asian or not, but I just have a quick question for the east asians in here. Is describing someone of east descent asian as "oriental" offensive and if so why?

I come in peace.

Yo, I'm not sure if this thread covers all of asian or not, but I just have a quick question for the east asians in here. Is describing someone of east descent asian as "oriental" offensive and if so why?

I come in peace.
If I heard you calling someone an oriental, those would be your last words.

I come in peace.

That’s the technical definition, but in the context of US history it has racist connotations. When Chinese and other Asians started immigrating in the 1930s “oriental” was a common epithet to label them as “foreign” and “other”.

the best line I ever heard about the term oriental: “I am not a rug!”

I come in peace.

Outdated for sure. Would be the equivalent of calling White people “Occidental” or Black people “Negro”.
Sounds odd. Having grown up from the Midwest and bit older than most here, also depends on contex.
There are salt of the Earth senior citizens that will sometimes use without malice. No big deal. But anyone Baby Boomer on down knows better. Had a middle age white lady manager from Northwest use to my colleagues not to my face and Fat Btch knew how she was using the term.
Best to avoid using.

On that topic, dumb question but is there an umbrella label for SE and E Asians? Like the people we typically think of as Asian in nomenclature.

Since “Asian” technically includes so many other countries like Pakistan, etc.

On that topic, dumb question but is there an umbrella label for SE and E Asians? Like the people we typically think of as Asian in nomenclature.

In Europe they call Indians & Pakistanis Asian but in America most people don't consider them as Asians.

I posted in the wrestling thread a few weeks back about jim ross saying sakura was an oriental freddy mercury.
I missed your post, but that topic is what made me ask this. I’m younger so I don’t really have experience w/ that word.
In Europe they call Indians & Pakistanis Asian but in America most people don't consider them as Asians.
This a major pet peeve of mine because Asia is the largest continent and very diverse. Geographical views here are very ignorant.

pretty much East Asian (Japanese/Chinese etc), southeast Asian (Thai/Cambodian etc) or south Asian (Indian/paki etc)

I come in peace.

I’m surprised no one mentioned how the term “oriental” became offensive/a degrading word.

it came from a book called “orientalism” written by historian Edward Said

the book is one of the most controversial books in the subject of history and it’s what made the term degrading.
The thing is, the book was not on Eastern Asians, but actually about people living in Asia, Middle East, and North Africa. He described people living in these areas as almost objects and not as “real people” and argued that their culture came from Romanticized European views.

heartbreaking this story, totally not acceptable what they are doing to the poor uyghur people

Not sure how many people in here watch soccer/football, but China banned the broadcast of Arsenal vs Manchester City today because of Mesut Ozil (a Muslim Arsenal player) pointing out how China is treating them :stoneface:

Back
Top Bottom