Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Probably cuz Americans are dumber. But for real, i’ve never heard my Indian friends refer to themselves as Asian. They just call themselves Indian and that’s it. I always found it odd.

Like you said, people in the US are dumb when it comes to culture, including many Indians born here. It's similar to how Filipino-American dudes back in the day used to be on that "I'm Pacific Islander, not Asian" tip. They view culture on a superficial level, Educated ones are different. Hasan Minhaj refers to himself as both Asian and Indian (as do I and all my other Indian friends/family).

Forget England, Indians living in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong all refer to themselves as Asian and are considered Asian by everyone else there as well. I'm pretty sure my experience of visiting family/friends in those countries for the past 30 years can validate that better than some random Americans who live in a bubble and think only East Asians=Asian

Last edited:
do you know why they're consider the asians over in europe, canada, etc and e/se asians are considered the asians in the u.s.?

South Asian history with the British Empire, before that the Portuguese and Dutch. Membership in the Commonwealth. Immigration history with Europe.
Probably cuz Americans are dumber. But for real, i’ve never heard my Indian friends refer to themselves as Asian. They just call themselves Indian and that’s it. I always found it odd.

Ditto. Every South Asian encountered over the years will always state their specific country heritage. Nothing wrong with that.

To: sfc415 sfc415
Wouldn’t get all worked up about the E, SE, S matter.
Nobody here is pushing any Asian litmus test.
Thread is one of the better welcoming and well behaved in NT. All good.
I remember seeing your name & posts over the years.

The level of pettiness...

44729FB2-81B8-4F41-899A-0C3480EC8237.jpeg

Like you said, people in the US are dumb when it comes to culture, including many Indians born here. It's similar to how Filipino-American dudes back in the day used to be on that "I'm Pacific Islander, not Asian" tip. i

What’s wrong with being on that Pac Islander tip? Got plenty of Fijian/Indian homies I drink kava with that adopted our island ways.

What’s wrong with being on that Pac Islander tip? Got plenty of Fijian/Indian homies I drink kava with that adopted our island ways.

When did I say there was anything wrong with that? I only said it makes no sense for to say "I'm not Asian" when that's clearly not the case. Using that logic, Japanese, Indonesian, Taiwanese, Malaysian, etc. would all not be Asian either.

Simply because we are not Pacific Islander. Go to the Philippines and see people there identify themselves as Pacific Islander. It's only an illusion by jejemon Filipino descents in California.
That affiliation started in Hawaii/Guam. They became locals and were like damn, these pac Islanders share the same ideals of family and respecting their elders.

For my China guys in here. Has any of your been directly effected by the discrepancy’s going on Hong Kong?

Moving to hk in less than a week. Lot of last second packing and errands but I'm ready

have you gone there recently before deciding on making the move? If so, how’s daily life there during these protests?

used to go there every year and was about to move there in 2016 until my dad got sick, but now I’m hesitant to travel there.

For my China guys in here. Has any of your been directly effected by the discrepancy’s going on Hong Kong?
China guys? Why not just say Chinese or Asian?
have you gone there recently before deciding on making the move? If so, how’s daily life there during these protests?

used to go there every year and was about to move there in 2016 until my dad got sick, but now I’m hesitant to travel there.
My friend moved there late July for work. He said most of the time it’s not as bad as it seems on the news, every protest is organized in a planned area. Of course it still affects the citizens there and he doesn’t feel as safe going out at night sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't been there since a year ago so I don't really know what it's like there. I have no job offer either so it's gonna be a very proactive effort from me. 7 million people still carry on with their daily lives so it can't be that bad im hoping

anyone keep up with terrace house? I felt like the show went downhill once they started bringing in non Japanese people on the show.

the show was cool at first because I loved seeing what native Japanese young adults were doing in their life but now they got Americans, Russians, etc on the show. sure they speak Japanese but nothing is interesting about em cause they come off with the western vibe, which i see everyday being an American.

Eh, I don’t agree with that. It makes the house more interesting. A lot of the house is passive and nothing happens for months. Plus foreigners and hapas do live in Japan so they are showing that part of the culture. It also shows the differences in cultures. Pepe was hardworking and polite which is similar to how you would expect Japanese people to be. Tupas aka tupac isn’t even Japanese and acts more traditional than everyone. Lauren bae and avian weren’t Japanese and I don’t remember people saying they ruined the show. I think people’s complaints are they just don’t like seeing white people on the show. 2-4 people out of a cast of 20 plus people isn’t goingto ruin a show.

I’d really like them to do a season in Brasil since it has the most Japanese outside of Japan.

Back
Top Bottom