Asian Culture Discussion Thread

This is actually my first ever K drama :lol:
Oh man. Hmm. I'm only up to episode 4 but I want to say you can't expect kdramas to be like Itaewon Class. Highly unusual show by kdrama standards as I've pointed out in a previous post.

This show might appeal more to westerners than koreans

If you have a high tolerance for sap like I do than you're in for a treat

I prefer kdramas more to american shows nowadays because of their one season model. I wish American shows would adopt that model. Just plan out an arc for 16 episodes and finish it.

American shows like to drag a show on for years until it's past its prime. It's either that or they just randomly cancel the show before it finishes.

Japanese dramas are usually 10-11 which I think are the ideal length.
Korean dramas tend to drag out situations just to make the episode count.

I've tried. I've really tried to get into j dramas but I guess they're just not my taste.

There's this one j drama I watched about this guy who time traveled between the present and his childhood to solve a serial murder. I really really liked that one

But yes I agree that kdramas can drag for episodes just to make the count

My favorite dramas don't drag too much for me

I'm filipino. I've tried to get into filipino shows but goodness, idk why every episode got to be two effing hours. I couldn't deal with that. My brethren got to step up their TV 🤣

Last edited:
U mean ERASED? It's based offa a manga, and there's also an anime with revised ending.

There's a bunch of good older jdramas if you let me know what time of shows you like.

Yes Erased! I really liked that one. It's the only Japanese drama I've liked, so far

Idk. the kind of shows I like are all over the place

Kdramas I've watched recently and liked, Crash Landing on You, W, Cunning Single Lady, Doctors, Tunnel, Are You Human Too, Thirty but Seventeen, Healer, Extraordinary You, Bring It On Ghost, Familiar Wife, Welcome2life, Oh My Ghostess, Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

I'll try jdramas like those shows if you've got any recommends

Yes Erased! I really liked that one. It's the only Japanese drama I've liked, so far

Idk. the kind of shows I like are all over the place

Kdramas I've watched recently and liked, Crash Landing on You, W, Cunning Single Lady, Doctors, Tunnel, Are You Human Too, Thirty but Seventeen, Healer, Extraordinary You, Bring It On Ghost, Familiar Wife, Welcome2life, Oh My Ghostess, Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

I'll try jdramas like those shows if you've got any recommends
You forgot about the GOAT Memories of Alhambra :lol:

I dont want that many K dramas so you going to have to give me genres like comedy, romance , action etc.

If you guys like kdrama check out

stairways to heaven
Autumn in my heart

esp the first recommended one. Came out in early 2000s and it’s what helped blow up kdrama internationally. The show still holds up to this day as one of the best k drama I’ve ever seen.

I think Stairway to Heaven was referenced a lot in Crash Landing Onto You

I'll put it on the list but if it's not reformatted to hd I might have a hard time watching it

I finished Extracurricular a couple days ago, y'all should peep. Watching Hospital Playlist now.

Never was into kdramas til I realized there's a counties worth of great content to be consumed lol

bruhh good lookin out on the rec. similarly i never watched a kdrama before (i've watched korean horror movies) but i quickly googled Extracurricular and this was the first thing they said about ep1

Oh Ji-soo, a top student who was abandoned by his parents when he was in ninth grade, lives a quiet life in the eyes of Mr. Cho, his homeroom teacher. He actually works as a security service provider for an illegal prostitution business under the name "Uncle" with the help of Lee Whang-chul, also called "Old Man", who protects the sex workers and transfers the money to Ji-soo....

**** seems wild. i am intrigued tho

I'd say it's dark by typical Korean drama standards, touches on mental health/helplessness a bit. They drop a hotline at the end of each episode encouraging people to seek help.

The main is played by one of the guys from Itaewon Class.

I want to watch Kingdom but I don't like scary/horror stuff :lol: . Don't judge me.

Kingdom must be really popular to get a season 2... Multiple seasons almost never happens with kdramas lol

But don't worry, I never watched Kingdom either

Not that I'm against zombies.

Train to Busan was doooooooope

extracurricular, kingdom, signal, tunnel..im taking notes. keep 'em comin fellas! appreciate it.

usually im terrible with watching subtitled netflix shows because i'm always distracted with texting, tindering, or online window shopping at the same time. i had to watch the first season of money heist twice because the thing went by in a blur and i still had no idea what was going on

train to busan :pimp:

I’ve tried watching a couple Korean shows but I just couldn’t get through em, just not for me.

However Korean films are my ****, can’t get enough of em.

Korean films are also appreciated.

I've only watched a few Korean films.

Train to Busan was doooooooope.

Parasite was cool but I don't think I liked it as much as other ppl did.

On Your Wedding Day probably had one of my favorite endings to a breakup film. Anyone who's had a hard breakup would enjoy this film I think.

Back
Top Bottom