Asian Culture Discussion Thread

i can't even be mad at asian sisters who only want to date white men. some of yall have mentioned "social climbing," "self hate," or the concept of "marrying up = marrying white" and there's no doubt in my mind there are hints of that. however, i can't ever fault those very sisters for seeing whiteness as attractive. white supremacy is insidious and many of us asian men and women have been socialized to believe in it.

at the end of the day, asian women owe nothing to asian men, and vice versa. having gone to a university in the bay area 10+ years ago, i saw a lot of straight interracial couples in which the man was white-passing and the woman was asian. used to get me riled up, but then i realized, **** it, it's not my place to tell a person they're wrong for seeking out such-and-such qualities.

You're right, asian women dont owe us anything.

Doesnt give them the right to look down on their male counterparts as if they're inferior to them.

If an Asian woman wants to worship her white savior, by all means do you. But dont look/treat me like a piece of **** especially if we came from the same roots. You dig?

Nah, you don’t want a girl to fetishsize or only like you because of your race/ethnicity. It’s happened to me a couple times and it’s just weirdo behavior.
I hear you. I'm just trying to hit though. They can fetishize me all they want.

When it's all said and done, if I ever find the one she will most probably be asian. In the meantime I wanna experience every flavor the world has got to offer lol

Doesnt give them the right to look down on their male counterparts as if they're inferior to them.

If an Asian woman wants to worship her white savior, by all means do you. But dont look/treat me like a piece of **** especially if we came from the same roots. You dig?
I was trying to put into words why I can't see myself socializing with Asian girls who can't date asian men and I think you just put into words what I was feeling

i feel that 100% my G. a woman can have her specific dating preferences, even if that excludes men that look like, i'm not mad at it. but if the same woman decided to act disrespectful to me on the strength of my race/ethnicity then what's that saying.... "you reap what you sow"

speaking of filipino musicians, anyone listen to P-Lo? bay area rapper who's paid his dues over the past 10 years and is starting to get his recognition. he's definitely not afraid to openly talk about his filipino heritage or mention being asian in raps.

i will say tho, if you're not into the "bay area" sound, you probably not really gonna vibe with his production

speaking of filipino musicians, anyone listen to P-Lo? bay area rapper who's paid his dues over the past 10 years and is starting to get his recognition. he's definitely not afraid to openly talk about his filipino heritage or mention being asian in raps.

i will say tho, if you're not into the "bay area" sound, you probably not really gonna vibe with his production

You mess with ezale? 5 minutes of funktown and fr fr be gettin me hyped lol.

You right about bay area slaps though. Definitely has a regional sound to where almost only the locals appreciate the vibes.

Yo P-Lo is :smokin
I honestly hated the Bay Area sounds when it first got major back in 05 then I got older and I started bumping it.

You mess with ezale? 5 minutes of funktown and fr fr be gettin me hyped lol.

You right about bay area slaps though. Definitely has a regional sound to where almost only the locals appreciate the vibes.

5 minutes of funk is arguably one of the best tracks to come out of oakland in the past 10 years. youth i worked with in SF used to always play it even tho they had no idea what/where funktown was :lol: although he acts like a big *** clown i really **** with ezale's flow. idk what happened to him as of late though, man's sorta just fell off the map.

I had this convo with someone in here earlier last year.

But this is a better explanation of my point.

Not coming in here to fight but just think about where you stand/operate when it comes to this topic.

A thread

Not coming in here to fight but just think about where you stand/operate when it comes to this topic.

A thread

I'm not too sure what the context/result of the discussion was last year but i've said it here and in the thread about the murder of Ahmaud Arbery, white supremacy is insidious and its values are manifested in many asian communities, both here in the US and globally. in regards to assimilation, I can understand why light skinned Asian communities would be so keen on achieving "Whiteness," particularly if it affords them a position in the US that brings them financial wealth and some sort of social status. unfortunately that investment in whiteness means adopting a strong sense anti-blackness and fear.

by no means am i condoning asian prejudices towards black folks. The historic relationship between asians and blacks in the US probably deserves far more attention and study -particularly in states where the two oftentimes live, shop, and work in the same neighborhoods. in low-income communities, when things like language barriers, limited access to public resources and housing, and cultural misunderstandings are present, it's ripe conditions for tension.

--edit--

recently, i've been seeing a handful of my asian homies who are more politically and socially conscious call out their asian friends on FB for staying silent on inequities and injustices facing black and brown communities. initially it made me feel a kind of way, considering the same asian folks have been absolutely silent when comes to speaking out against deportation of southeast asian folks. but then I was like, it's necessary. we gotta hold our own folk accountable for their awareness and/or apathy towards other communities.

Last edited:
What were you told during your last conversation? Not sure what you're expecting by asking the same question a year later
It wasn't in this thread. I found it, it was in another thread. My mistake.

Basically, another NT user found the idea of "certain races/ethnic groups using the disrespect of Black folks as a way to get in good grades with white folks" ridiculous.

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican I'm not sure if I was the one who responded to you back then, but yeah, it's a complicated thing. Many Asians come from countries where there are practically zero black people. Most of their views on black people are media that portrays black people as violent/criminal.

My girlfriend is ethnically Japanese but raised in Indonesia; I'm making this distinction because although there are a number of black people living/visiting Japan, there are damn near zero in Indonesia. She said that her only exposure to black people before moving to the US were movies and hip hop music.

My mom was the same way. Before she moved to the US, her only exposure to black people were movies/TV shows, and if you remember media from the 70s-80s, almost no black people were ever shown in a positive light.

In 2020, both my girlfriend and my mom think black people are extremely friendly in general, and both tend to highly distrust white people, but when they first moved here they were both a bit scared to live in proximity of majority black areas.

It doesn't help when many Asians tend to stick to their own kind when they move here. Of course, it's understandable why they do that, but unfortunately that leads to them just being stuck with their views instead of properly understanding black people or any other people that they have negative views on

Last edited:
I wrote a long post, was about to post reply, and then deleted it.

These talks never turn out well and I have a feeling dc's post was just bait. Lol

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican I'm not sure if I was the one who responded to you back then, but yeah, it's a complicated thing. Many Asians come from countries where there are practically zero black people. Most of their views on black people are media that portrays black people as violent/criminal.

My girlfriend is ethnically Japanese but raised in Indonesia; I'm making this distinction because although there are a number of black people living/visiting Japan, there are damn near zero in Indonesia. She said that her only exposure to black people before moving to the US were movies and hip hop music.

My mom was the same way. Before she moved to the US, her only exposure to black people were movies/TV shows, and if you remember media from the 70s-80s, almost no black people were ever shown in a positive light.

In 2020, both my girlfriend and my mom think black people are extremely friendly in general, and both tend to highly distrust white people, but when they first moved here they were both a bit scared to live in proximity of majority black areas.

It doesn't help when many Asians tend to stick to their own kind when they move here. Of course, it's understandable why they do that, but unfortunately that leads to them just being stuck with their views instead of properly understanding black people or any other people that they have negative views on

Hmm. My experience with black ppl is that what you see is what you get. I can appreciate that. With some white ppl sometimes I get an uneasy feeling that I don't know where I stand with them, and that they're not telling me what they're really thinking.

Hmm. My experience with black ppl is that what you see is what you get. I can appreciate that. With some white ppl sometimes I get an uneasy feeling that I don't know where I stand with them, and that they're not telling me what they're really thinking.

Pretty much the reason why my mom and girlfriend are highly suspicious of them. For example, my girlfriend said she got tired of so-called friendly white coworkers and friends slipping up and making comments about marrying for green cards, even though she's educated, has a career, and has lived in the US for 10 years so far. It's always some type of slick comment that comes out due to her being an Asian immigrant, especially from one of the poorer countries

A thread

It's just too broad and empty to just throw out "Asian-Americans are anti-black." It's going to just get either some Asian-Americans patting eachother on the back or other Asian-Americans getting upset by that label and retorting with an uno reverse. There's not much conversation to be had.

Name the biggest and 2nd biggest issue to you on this topic. Like what specifically?

And I feel like you can kind of cluster Asian-Americans into different segments, so from whom are those issues most common?

Pretty much the reason why my mom and girlfriend are highly suspicious of them. For example, my girlfriend said she got tired of so-called friendly white coworkers and friends slipping up and making comments about marrying for green cards, even though she's educated, has a career, and has lived in the US for 10 years so far. It's always some type of slick comment that comes out due to her being an Asian immigrant, especially from one of the poorer countries
My sister is American born, only speaks English. She works as a PA at a hospital. She has a hard time pronouncing the long names of some medications. This white doctor who knows about this suggested that she study English more. Smh

It's not really a simple thing as asians hate black ppl, but they love white ppl. At least you can't apply this rule to EVERY asian

Both grew up in Japan. The black girl was accepted, the white girl had a harder time fitting in

The truth is anybody of any race can get discriminated against anywhere. I feel bad for bi-cultural ppl in general because they are part of two worlds but can be made to feel like they don't belong in either

And that's all I really wanna talk about that. Lol

Last edited:
Yea, I have never did such a thing in a serious topic. I wounldn't come in yall's thread doing that. But cool.

You kinda did come in here and indirectly made this about you though.

Saying "not trying to fight" knowing that you line stepping.

Kinda ironic that you're posting a ridiculous statement that blankets an entire race and wanting to discuss about it like its a proven fact.

Double standards on my man.

For the record.. ive personally never seen or heard of asian folks doggin blacks to get an approval from whites.

Back
Top Bottom