Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Is San Tung really the spot? Been hearing about it but lazy to go. Been going to Hot Sauce and Panko in Nob Hill.

san tung wings are good, but tbh, nothing exceptional or to write home about. if Hot Sauce and Panko are already hittin the spot for you, you're not missing out.

give me an order of 10+ chicken wings from any establishment, a bowl of rice, a bottle of sriracha, and some lemon juice with salt and pepper and i'm gucci

Most real soaplands dont take foreigners because of "STDS"
I think Osaka is more flexible. My buddy found a couple while his wife was still asleep. He said he was going for a jog haha. But you prob won’t get serviced by a Japanese chick. Maybe Chinese, Vietnamese or Thai.

I forgot the name of the place but my friend said she went to a karaoke place in Queens and there were a bunch of girls there that all looked like street walkers. Potential place for my 35th birthday but this pandemic gonna last well through July.

Filipino food is two extremes here, the fast food/turo-turo spots or the sit down upscale/watered down/basic restaurants. The latter are watered down to fit American palates, can't have the extra salty/sour/whatever food lol. Theres been a wave of "authentic" filipino sit down places for the last few years though so hopefully that trend continues.

Kapampangan cuisine, what specific dishes would you recommend? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Filipino restaurants here suck for the most part (which is surprising considering how many Filipino people live here), but I always love going to my Filipino friends' family homes to eat authentic homemade food. So much better than the restaurants

There are some Filipinobakeries near where my parents live that are :pimp: ; they're not sit-down places, but they're home style cooking that people can order to-go or for catering.

I think Osaka is more flexible. My buddy found a couple while his wife was still asleep. He said he was going for a jog haha. But you prob won’t get serviced by a Japanese chick, maybe Chinese, Vietnamese or Thai.
Hence REAL . I aint going to Osaka to get with a Chinese / Viet/ Thai. No offense.

There are foreigner-friendly places in/near Tokyo. Just do a google search on them, and you'll see the biggest names pop up

I took my friend for his first trip to Japan last year, and dude spent like $2K in a week there just for extracurricular activities. Things like that make me glad I'm not single, cause I'd probably be burning through $ too :lol:

1. My personal favorite will always be kare kare: with oxtail. I won’t do any other version; unless you do an short rib, which isn’t traditional.

Also: Ive stopped eating pork but I’ll add some dishes to my list to be fair. The list is in no particular order-

Kaldaretta kambing (goat stew)- this is a tomato and liver based stew with fork tender goat. If the cook does it right, the dish should not be gamey. They also take to be innards and make this sour stew called papaitan. This dish is ilícono and I am personally not a fan of it.

Bringhi or paella provinciana (poor man’s paella)- think paella in presentation but imagine a stickier rice enveloped by the flavors of turmeric and coconut milk. Protein is usually chicken and eggs.

A proper Sisig Baboy. Pork sisig using all the head parts and some innards. Don’t give me this safe crap with pork belly. If you ever seen someone prep a sisig you know how labor intensive it is. Must be served on a sizzling plate. Traditional way is to break an egg and stir. Some folks stir mayo. And if you not chopping g red chili into it then ****

Adobong pusit. I know most know adobo chicken has the “national dish” of PI but squid just hits different. I think it’s more so how the squid ink interacts with the traditional soy, vinegar, onion, garlic, bay leaves.

Pandesal- because bread.

Ginataang Hipon. I didn’t mean to lean so coconut milk heavy in dishes but imagine a soothing mixture of veggies in coconut milk based broth. Calabasas done right word to Kanye and some snappy long beans. Cook some fresh shrimp and boom.

I can talkmore about apps, drunk food, desserts, baked goods later but that’s my go to.
AVOID TURO TURO RESTOS!

I think foreigners just gotta stay away from Kabukicho if looking for those establishments.

There are some Filipinobakeries near where my parents live that are :pimp: ; they're not sit-down places, but they're home style cooking that people can order to-go or for catering.

Are Filipino bakeries in the style of European ones i.e. less sweet, more design, more fruit than American ones?
Taiwan is like that.
Much more creative than US style.

Are Filipino bakeries in the style of European ones i.e. less sweet, more design, more fruit than American ones?
Taiwan is like that.

The ones I go to aren't really fancy or anything. They're simple in design and catered towards people who want home-style food. Just to clarify: they're bakeries that also serve regular Filipino cuisine too

There used to be this spot called Goldilocks near my parents' house that was more of a chain bakery/restaurant, but not sure if it's only that location that went away or if it went away as a whole

Taiwan is like that.

The best cake I ever had was from a Taipei bakery. IT had pudding in the middle.

sex tourism lowkey gets me heated esp when people talk about asia.
racist fetishes, stereotypes, etc. esp from people from the West.

also, i've read that most prostitutes that service foreigners in Japan arent Japanese ands the girls are forced into it.
if you go to the red light district, they dont service non-Japanese.
Theres a big mistreatment against southeast/darker skinned asians in Japan.

Is it cool for Asians to talk about sex tourism ? honest question :nerd:

SE / Darker skinned get mistreated in many asian countries, not just Japan.

A lot of the cases is that they are there illegally with no working visa.

Even within my own family I feel a prejudice lol

I'm light skinned but my sis is dark skinned.

I'm the more popular cousin among my cousins in the Philippines, and it feels like my sister gets no love

Sad stuff.

Back
Top Bottom