Asian Culture Discussion Thread

JukI.gif

There's threads on Reddit but those fools are weird. Most of their discussions are just complaining. One thread was about the increased racism and violence against Asians now and they were saying they don't wanna hear anymore discussions about some Asians being prejudice against blacks. As if one cancelled the other.

Yea a good number of the posters on reddit say racist **** about black people or sexist things about asian women. Kind of depressing to read how mad and sad these fools are.

I wouldn't expect you to :nerd:

Edit: It's been closed. Good. That club was TRASH

At one time, it was the GO TO Korean club in New York.

Booking for dayzzzzzz

It was trash but it was popular? :lol:

It was a place for undergrad students I'm guessing?
I knew the bouncers and skipped the line each time, and it was still trash.
Only enjoyable if you had a table and doing booking.
Bouncers would be Aholes to you unless you were a hot girl, or Korean.

We use to drink (underage) at this korean bar off Ktown called Red Bar. Knew the owner and bar tenders. It was closed down unfortunately. :emoji_cry::emoji_cry:

At the time, there weren't many Asian centric clubs in Manhattan. Clubs would have Asian nights. But Circle was THE korean club.

That's my favorite Japanese jazz bars downtown near where I use to live in Tribeca.
I wonder if anyone else here ever been.

y’all ever heard of the fat Buddha bar in nyc? Heard it was trash but seems popular
Been there several times actually. Never as a destination. Always a detour after eating at St Marks Izakaya.
I think I was there when it first opened back in 2010 for some Japanese American Startup event.

Speaking of St Marks, my friends and I used to always go to Kenka. Lots of drunken times at that place.

Every time I was at St Marks it was just to eat.

I was vaguely aware there was clubs but I've never been. At least, I don't think so. Maybe I went once in undergrad.

I’d give the kid partial credit if he would have said the actor on the right was Storm Shadow.

:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
He'd F it up and say Snake Eyes.

BTW I ran into him and his entire family at Eately in LA a few months back. NO one recognized him.
I have this weird thing that I always run into celebrities when I'm out.

Drew Barrymore in Starbucks at St Marks
Leiv Schreiber at Whole Foods
David Schimmer at Chateau Marmont
Robin Williams at Virgin Megastore in Time Square
Ted Danson and his wife at dinner at my local Tribeca italian restaruant.
I know theres more but those are just a few that comes to mind.

Last edited:
My Japanese friends would come from Japan and want to go to Kenka, believe it or not.

yeah it was the bull penis, memory escaped me . :rofl:

Here's some surface level "secret" bars for you out of towners :

You know.

Speaking of hidden places.

I was going to crif dogs for years before I realized there was a speakeasy inside their booth :rofl:I've still never been at that speakeasy

Documentary recommendation :
MV5BNmZjMDgyMDgtYWI4OS00YjZkLWEyODktNzE0MmViOTFjMDA4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpg

Watched this documentary long time ago and will definitely blow your mind the level of ethnic hatred that goes on in SE Asia against Chinese people.
The irony of the whole situation is when you study the history of the Chinese migration throughout the region, know d*mn well a good chunk of the local native population has a Chinese ancestor in the family tree.

LETS MAKE OUR COUNTRY BETTER BY KILLING ALL THE INTELLECTUALS LIKE DOCTORS AND TEACHERS!

Saw this movie many years ago.
Made me so depressed on how much Chinese people suffered during those decades.
MV5BMWQ2OTRlNzMtM2ZiNi00YzlkLWIyNjEtNjg2NGIzYjc1NmEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjcxNjI4NTk@._V1_SY1000_CR...jpg

You can watch the whole movie on Youtube

Early Zhang Yimou films are very classic films that give a decent account of Mainland life before modernization. Well worth the watch even though old school traditional style.

DISCLAIMER :
I AM NOT promoting hatred towards the Japanese about what was done during WWII. But everyone should watch Nanking! Nanking!.

This scene sends chills down my spine every time I watch it.

If you dont know what this is about :

Any study of WW2, Unit 731 and Nanjing must come with a disclaimer that the subject matter will eff you up. Remembered also reading Iris Chang book way back in the day. But must be done.

Back
Top Bottom