Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Just flew back from Jakarta. Every time I come back here, I always have culture shock from the miserable way customs, TSA, and pretty much everyone else that works at the airport talks to you :sick: :smh: I personally don't get hurt, but imagine if you're someone new to this country, and THAT is how you're greeted? These people almost have the same tone and attitude as prison guards.

Also, I don't get how people who live in constant heat and high @#$ humidity in Indonesia don't smell anywhere near as bad as privileged Cali hipsters. Walked in to grab a coffee for jetlag, and all I smell is must and dog :smh:

Last edited:
^ youre talking about america right?

Yeah, people in Jakarta, regardless of how low or high end of an establishment I was in, were very nice and polite. (Well, except on the road. Southeast Asian driving is a deadly free for all :lol:) It's always unpleasant to come back home when the first Americans that greet you are just barking orders at you and treating you like cattle.

I'm not asking for special treatment; I'm just expecting more of a "All ___ passport holders in this line please" and "Do you need some assistance, sir?" (pretty standard in most Asian countries I visit) instead of "Move, move, move!!!" in a harsh @#$ tone (Literally what happened this morning)

Just thought it was relevant in this thread since we've been talking about travel experiences and service quality in Asia recently.

Last edited:
Not even sure why this vid popped up in my YouTube feed, but was fascinating from a Human Interest story. Many topics out there about East Asian influence in Mid East. Interesting to learn something different.

Back to the Bay tomorrow.

Just found out dudes gate check you now. Can't bring bottled water on even if you purchased it past the first/main security check.

smfh. bout to keep asking for water on the plane. malicious compliance.

Just found out dudes gate check you now. Can't bring bottled water on even if you purchased it past the first/main security check.

that's wack

All flights leaving Hong Kong do this. They take all bottled water at the gate, and search your bags. I just ask the United flight attendants to give me one of those big *** bottles, and they usually do.

Just flew back from Jakarta. Every time I come back here, I always have culture shock from the miserable way customs, TSA, and pretty much everyone else that works at the airport talks to you :sick: :smh: I personally don't get hurt, but imagine if you're someone new to this country, and THAT is how you're greeted? These people almost have the same tone and attitude as prison guards.

Also, I don't get how people who live in constant heat and high @#$ humidity in Indonesia don't smell anywhere near as bad as privileged Cali hipsters. Walked in to grab a coffee for jetlag, and all I smell is must and dog :smh:

I hear that. Every time coming back from Korea, I'm like....why is everything so boring, dirty, old or just ugly here.
I get that customs/tsa has a tough job to do but still....

Once coming back from Korea: (albeit very shortly after 911)- I had my bags ripped open, stuff dumped out, in front of all the people, the custom agents opened up some tea and herb packages- granted, at first glance could look a little suspicious...then get ridiculed for having dried squid and other "weird" food. One agent looked like he was going to yak, other dude actually knew what they were and took one pack of seaweed :sick::rofl:

The worst was they were just straight up blatant with me, when I asked if they were going to help me put my luggage back together, he said something like "Open your eyes..I'm a custom agent not a mover". Mind boggling.
I kept staring him down but really had no choice but to keep moving on......messed up bags and all. :smh:

I hear that. Every time coming back from Korea, I'm like....why is everything so boring, dirty, old or just ugly here.
I get that customs/tsa has a tough job to do but still....

Once coming back from Korea: (albeit very shortly after 911)- I had my bags ripped open, stuff dumped out, in front of all the people, the custom agents opened up some tea and herb packages- granted, at first glance could look a little suspicious...then get ridiculed for having dried squid and other "weird" food. One agent looked like he was going to yak, other dude actually knew what they were and took one pack of seaweed :sick::rofl:

The worst was they were just straight up blatant with me, when I asked if they were going to help me put my luggage back together, he said something like "Open your eyes..I'm a custom agent not a mover". Mind boggling.
I kept staring him down but really had no choice but to keep moving on......messed up bags and all. :smh:

I had a similar situation in Korea on the way back last year but I was treated much better there.

I think I raised airport suspicions because I kept changing my shoes near the gate waiting area (I was wearing boots and was trying to decide between those and my more comfortable sneakers, but my luggage was hard to close with the boots in them) and I got singled out for complete inspection by security when I was about to board the flight :lol:

However the security people were very polite to me. They asked me "Sir do you mind if we inspect your luggage?" and they folded all my clothes and repacked my luggage properly for me once they were finished. They even apologized for taking so much time. I asked them "it was The shoes huh" and they just giggled and told me "Sorry sir, we're not allowed to tell you".

Sounds pretty normal, but if it had been at a US airport, there's a chance it would've gone completely differently :lol:

I would be grumpy as fff too if I was TSA agent and I have that as my career. That means I failed at life. The majority of the employees seem to belong in the lower end spectrum of society in terms of class.

At least I got to use the EVA Lounge. So dope.

This guy was goin to town on the Kavalan :rofl:

UA cool for giving us cans of drinks tho.

At least I got to use the EVA Lounge. So dope.

This guy was goin to town on the Kavalan :rofl:

UA cool for giving us cans of drinks tho.

Kavalan getting more attention year after year. Picked off couple bottles of the Soloist sherry cask that were mispriced low couple years ago and then extended Family gifted couple other bottles out of the blue when sister visited last year. Vids and reviews out there. Interesting stuff.

http://www.kavalanwhisky.com/EN/story-about.aspx

4526ECC6-4533-49B5-8C47-2F8C1A1AF4AA.jpeg
Got put onto filipino empanadas.

I would be grumpy as fff too if I was TSA agent and I have that as my career. That means I failed at life. The majority of the employees seem to belong in the lower end spectrum of society in terms of class.
what is so wrong about being in the TSA? I thought they make decent money? At the end of the day they are just trying to make a living? I just saw the comment and it stood out to me. Before you ask , no I do not work for them.

what is so wrong about being in the TSA? I thought they make decent money? At the end of the day they are just trying to make a living? I just saw the comment and it stood out to me. Before you ask , no I do not work for them.

I don't agree with wballz wballz on this one. No issue with the job itself; I'm just amazed at how bad many of their attitudes are, especially in big city airports where they deal with tons of tourists. From my experience, NY has the WORST TSA and immigration staff by far;it makes sense since it combines the typical NYC rudeness with the typical TSA/immigration rudeness. LA is 2nd for sure. SF TSA is mostly OK, but the immigration staff here piss me the @#%@ off as well.

Most comparable "first world" Asian countries take their airports very seriously and want to make a good first impression on tourists, so that's why you don't see ignorant and rude staff out there. Not sure why the airports here don't understand this simple concept and instead have foreigners lining into dim lit halls with idiots barking orders at them.

Even pre-Trump, coming back to the US was always a depressing event because of these trashy @#$ airport experiences.

Last edited:
Kavalan getting more attention year after year. Picked off couple bottles of the Soloist sherry cask that were mispriced low couple years ago and then extended Family gifted couple other bottles out of the blue when sister visited last year. Vids and reviews out there. Interesting stuff.

Asian airports are just so much more efficient.

Going through immigration/checked luggage in TPE is so fast. Off the plane and out of the airport in less then 20 minutes. Security is fast as well.

Everytime I'm at SFO or LAX they have like 2-3 screeners/detectors set up. Like don't ya'll see there's like 50 people in line?

I don't agree with wballz wballz on this one. No issue with the job itself; I'm just amazed at how bad many of their attitudes are, especially in big city airports where they deal with tons of tourists. From my experience, NY has the WORST TSA and immigration staff by far;it makes sense since it combines the typical NYC rudeness with the typical TSA/immigration rudeness. LA is 2nd for sure. SF TSA is mostly OK, but the immigration staff here piss me the @#%@ off as well.

Most comparable "first world" Asian countries take their airports very seriously and want to make a good first impression on tourists, so that's why you don't see ignorant and rude staff out there. Not sure why the airports here don't understand this simple concept and instead have foreigners lining into dim lit halls with idiots barking orders at them.

Even pre-Trump, coming back to the US was always a depressing event because of these trashy @#$ airport experiences.

i'll say this generally, and i may have it wrong, in my travels to asian countries i think the difference is just that the process is just way smoother, yea the cultural differences factor too, but i feel like the way the u.s. does security is just needlessly grating on both the customer(s) & the staff (going international via nyc is maybe the worst)...and i think quiet as kept, the mentality that the tsa are low level jobs does affect behavior on both sides as well; for as much as people think stuff like "I would be grumpy as fff too if I was TSA agent and I have that as my career. That means I failed at life." rarely do people treat the tsa (and customer service people in general) with the understanding that these people have to deal so many interactions on the daily...

That's a pretty ignorant statement to judge an entire work force like that. End of the day they're just trying to provide for their family. No need for your holier than thou attitude.

You Chinese by any chance?

Asian airports are just so much more efficient.

Going through immigration/checked luggage in TPE is so fast. Off the plane and out of the airport in less then 20 minutes. Security is fast as well.

Everytime I'm at SFO or LAX they have like 2-3 screeners/detectors set up. Like don't ya'll see there's like 50 people in line?

Funny anecdotes about Asian (Taiwan & China) airport customs and immigration procedures since I'm an Equal Opportunity Offender:

-Many years ago when I visited Shanghai, had my brother who lives in DC Area turn in the paperwork since Consulate accepts only in person. Get a call that afternoon and he tells me "you won't believe what else they want. They want your original Taiwan issued passport".
Told him I was 6 and you were 4 when we came here. Who the F cares? Keep in mind I'm older than most here AND my passport is US blue. But I did have. Bet the Commies had every page scanned into a database.
So when I go through Mainland China Immigration in the foreigner line and give them the declarations form, this dude is insisting I write my Name in Chinese. No MF, I don't know how to write Chinese. No Chinese School where I grew up. Started kindergarten with all White people. My Mandarin Chinese is conversational good enough so I don't get lost and can ask where the bathroom is. He gave up asking and wrote my name himself.
-Almost the same thing last time years ago I went back to Home Island. Had to fly out next night from SFO when I lived in Bay Area for Family emergency. The Taiwan Immigration agent wants me to write the complete address of relatives where I'm staying.
No MF I don't know what or how to write their address, only the Taipei District. But they standing out in lobby, you go ask. He gave up.

Bottom line is Asian Airport Customs and Immigration is STILL more efficient and friendly than US. Even way back in day under Martial Law in Taiwan when they were more hardcore searching and asking. Sure there are good people in TSA, but the overall organization is another bloated bureaucracy that needs to be overhauled.

tenor.gif

wow us airports sound scary...:emoji_confounded:

Eh, they aren’t. They can just be run better. The Las Vegas airport is def a more relaxed environment than NY jfk. The tsa at jfk had to scan my bags twice and didn’t tell me why or talk to me at all.

United takes another L :lol: :sick: once again, never take the cheapest option to travel abroad. You never know what will happen or who's on the plane.

Screenshot_20180106-121546.jpg

Back
Top Bottom