Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Funny anecdotes about Asian (Taiwan & China) airport customs and immigration procedures since I'm an Equal Opportunity Offender:

-Many years ago when I visited Shanghai, had my brother who lives in DC Area turn in the paperwork since Consulate accepts only in person. Get a call that afternoon and he tells me "you won't believe what else they want. They want your original Taiwan issued passport".
Told him I was 6 and you were 4 when we came here. Who the F cares? Keep in mind I'm older than most here AND my passport is US blue. But I did have. Bet the Commies had every page scanned into a database.
So when I go through Mainland China Immigration in the foreigner line and give them the declarations form, this dude is insisting I write my Name in Chinese. No MF, I don't know how to write Chinese. No Chinese School where I grew up. Started kindergarten with all White people. My Mandarin Chinese is conversational good enough so I don't get lost and can ask where the bathroom is. He gave up asking and wrote my name himself.
-Almost the same thing last time years ago I went back to Home Island. Had to fly out next night from SFO when I lived in Bay Area for Family emergency. The Taiwan Immigration agent wants me to write the complete address of relatives where I'm staying.
No MF I don't know what or how to write their address, only the Taipei District. But they standing out in lobby, you go ask. He gave up.

Bottom line is Asian Airport Customs and Immigration is STILL more efficient and friendly than US. Even way back in day under Martial Law in Taiwan when they were more hardcore searching and asking. Sure there are good people in TSA, but the overall organization is another bloated bureaucracy that needs to be overhauled.

tenor.gif

Yeah, I had trouble once with the immigration card. I don't know how to write Chinese either. After that, I just asked my mom to e-mail me the address in Chinese so I can carefully copy it :lol:.

You hold dual citizenship?

Yeah, I had trouble once with the immigration card. I don't know how to write Chinese either. After that, I just asked my mom to e-mail me the address in Chinese so I can carefully copy it :lol:.

You hold dual citizenship?

No just blue passport. Have an older uncle that does that dual switch passport based on convenience jig. Do hear it's not that hard to regain the other one though. Has no benefit for self. This is Home Country.

Kid is trash, but the platform doesn’t really lend itself to this kid losing from doing stuff like this. He just needs enough kids to see it and there are enough inbreds that will be into it that will latch on every time he gets more exposure. Especially if YouTube keeps supporting it.

From what I’ve seen of these youtubers, they deliberately start drama, real or contrived, then they apologize and a few weeks later they’ll have a few mill more subscribers. That’s the formula at this point. I think this kid did the same thing a few times around hitting his ex, accusing another YouTuber of hitting a woman, etc. Nothing happens at the end of the day but more exposure.

Kid is trash, but the platform doesn’t really lend itself to this kid losing from doing stuff like this. He just needs enough kids to see it and there are enough inbreds that will be into it that will latch on every time he gets more exposure. Especially if YouTube keeps supporting it.

From what I’ve seen of these youtubers, they deliberately start drama, real or contrived, then they apologize and a few weeks later they’ll have a few mill more subscribers. That’s the formula at this point. I think this kid did the same thing a few times around hitting his ex, accusing another YouTuber of hitting a woman, etc. Nothing happens at the end of the day but more exposure.

yeah youtube should demonetize him, that will teach brainless Gwa*** a good lesson :lol:

Related tangent: kinda like Sneaker Tube Channels. I'm subscribed to bunch of people so have options like a tv menu. But will only watch the less annoying ones or if interested in the product spotlight. Some people just try too hard or plain take up space. Spam.

No just blue passport. Have an older uncle that does that dual switch passport based on convenience jig. Do hear it's not that hard to regain the other one though. Has no benefit for self. This is Home Country.

Might apply for dual citizenship in 10 years. Not tryna serve.

Might apply for dual citizenship in 10 years. Not tryna serve.

Yeah that mandatory Military Service on the Home Island. Have cousins that went through that requirement and obviously Parents/older generation. Part of Life. The other interesting thing about the dual is some peers of my Parents still hold connect for the Health and Retire benefits. Can't beat the pricing and quality if self pay as get older.

On a less serious note from History: the US and ROC have no extradition treaty. So if you go down for some mega financial crimes, see you on the Island. What those corrupt Gangster HK cops did back in Seventies and Eighties.

Reading from pg2 now atm

interesting thread

I only know like 4 other SA heads on here

Bronco19dm
Realkillajs
Hank Scorpio
Heathen

There used to be a dude sole supreme back in 05, iirc he rocked some original shadows back then, there was a pic of him on a escalator.

Not surprised here.

Asian people's perspective towards white culture: Adoration, admiration, "I want to be just like that"
White people's perspective towards Asian culture: "Chopsticks? Weirdos.".

i don't think there is a such thing as "white culture" but i would simplify it another way, american/western culture places more emphasis on things like individuality & self expression while i think asian cultures, generally, are more considerate about community, respect, & a kind of reserved self awareness...

some white folk are like young monied attractive people that THINK they have a good personality and/or are fun to be around, when really what they have is power....too privileged and self centered to really be thoughtful or consider the repercussions of their actions on others or worse don't care; all that matters is what affects themselves...and i don't think asians (if one can even use that in the generic sense?) look @ the west with admiration or adoration of its culture, rather the west's influence/power and i think it is one of the side effects of american culture being so accessible & pervasive...which is kinda like a form of power itself...

that said, this dude's audience is basically preteens and other youtubers, i feel like the fact that this got any attention at all played right into his plan...it prolly was intentionally filmed & edited in a way to make appear more contraversial than in actually was...

too privileged and self centered to really be thoughtful or consider the repercussions of their actions on others or worse don't care; all that matters is what affects themselves...and i don't think asians (if one can even use that in the generic sense?) look @ the west with admiration or adoration of its culture, rather the west's influence/power and i think it is one of the side effects of american culture being so accessible & pervasive...which is kinda like a form of power itself...

that said, this dude's audience is basically preteens and other youtubers, i feel like the fact that this got any attention at all played right into his plan...it prolly was intentionally filmed & edited in a way to make appear more contraversial than in actually was...

I think you nailed this part. I think what I mean from admiration is because the West's influence is everywhere and so pervasive in the world it's hard not to define "normal" as whiteness. I myself struggled with self acceptance for my own culture and background as an immigrant. When success is defined by a culture of whiteness it's difficult to not loathe the fact you weren't born "normal" so to speak.

You're right about those preteens, which is just sad because they're at the age where they are so easily influenced by anyone they look up to. If their role model is someone who acts like this idiot, one can't help but think what those preteens view as "funny" or entertaining.

Not surprised here.

Asian people's perspective towards white culture: Adoration, admiration, "I want to be just like that"
White people's perspective towards Asian culture: "Chopsticks? Weirdos.".

My people don’t use chopsticks either. Given the choice of eating rice with a spoon or chopsticks, spoon is the better choice.

after seeing wut logan paul did in japan. i hate how some people just **** on asian culture and think they can get away with it. that scumbag wouldnt dare try that **** in beverly hills.

Watching the first Jackass movie right now and you can easily tell the difference between that ******* up there who sees the Japanese like cartoon characters and the Jackass crew respecting the people.

Back
Top Bottom