Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

. Don't you remember those Adidas running shoes with the computer? Or what about those APLs?
The 1.1's? I still have two pairs of the hoops kicks.

In regard to value, the difference between what 1.1 and then what the Nike + system does, it that it makes the heel cushioning unit more firm, or more soft. Also, the hoops shoes featured a leather upper, then was priced at 210. That was too expensive as well. Adidas now uses Mi Coach, but unlike Nike's + version, it does not measure jumping ability. However, Adidas does not charge 120 dollars more for using such a system.

I totally forgot about the APL's, as they claimed to make you jump higher, right? They were dismissed as soon as I heard that hype...
laugh.gif

There is a double standard in regard to who should be charging what, especially if it does not feature a swoosh.

Last edited:
^^^

The thirst for anything Nike/JB branded is at an all time high. There was a fantastic discussion in the JB forum (shocking as it is a cesspool for ignorance) about OG vs. new school and one of the comments thrown was about the new school essentially 'leasing' kicks.

These high prices on hyped and *supposedly* limited kicks are just catered to the new school cats 'leasing' kicks to get props from other people (typically males) and then moving onto the next hyped/limited sneaker that drops. Anyways that's a discussion for another day...

freakydestroyer brings up a good point about one company raising the bar and the others following. Besides AKA, aren't you upset that Adidas jacked the Rose 3 to $160?

I'm glad Reebok has finally realized they have a wealth of classics in their back catalog and that it is time to retro them, but my only worry is that they are blowing their load too fast and not pacing themselves. In a span of 4-6 months they are doing/have done The Question, Answer IV, Court Victory Pump, Twilight Zone Pump, DMX Run, Shaq Attaq 1, Shaqnosis, Kamikaze 2, ES 22 and there might be more, I cant remember what else I saw in Vegas...but they are doing alot of material and dropping it quickly....
It is funny how the Question was in 20 team colors on Eastbay.com for what seemed like years for about 59.99 and made no noise, but now that Reebok has used the formula on them, they blew out quickly......I also would of liked to see Reebok continue to drop some performance basketball shoes but it seems they have completely left that arena and are strictly fashion now...Adidas might have preferred this as it eliminated Reebok from competing with adidas for the share left after Nike/JB...
Overall it is definitely good to see Reebok making some noise again, they have laid dormant for a long time, kids dont remember now but there was a long time when Reebok was right there with Nike not far behind at all and competing on all levels....

BigL, I feel you on this. They want to cash in on the sneaker craze that's draining the wallets of today's youth but they've been irrelevant for far too long. Addtionally alot of the sneakers being released may not even appeal to the demographic they want to target. Shaqs, Kemps, Emmitts might only appeal to the late 20s and 30+ crowd - so there may be no need to drop a whole bunch of whack retro + garbage.

^^^
The thirst for anything Nike/JB branded is at an all time high. There was a fantastic discussion in the JB forum (shocking as it is a cesspool for ignorance) about OG vs. new school and one of the comments thrown was about the new school essentially 'leasing' kicks.
These high prices on hyped and *supposedly* limited kicks are just catered to the new school cats 'leasing' kicks to get props from other people (typically males) and then moving onto the next hyped/limited sneaker that drops. Anyways that's a discussion for another day...
freakydestroyer brings up a good point about one company raising the bar and the others following. Besides AKA, aren't you upset that Adidas jacked the Rose 3 to $160?
Yup, I was pretty pissed. But after finding out about the materials being used, I can understand the pricing. It's still isn't a deuce fiddy, nor a trey hundy.

LeBron's sigs were that much, but back when they were made of good quality, unlike now. The LBJ III was a buck sixty, and the Rose III is on par with that one in regard to the materials being used, if not better.

Last edited:
Yup, I was pretty pissed. But after finding out about the materials being used, I can understand the pricing. It's still isn't a deuce fiddy, nor a trey hundy.
LeBron's sigs were that much, but back when they were made of good quality, unlike now. The LBJ III was a buck sixty, and the Rose III is on par with that one in regard to the materials being used, if not better.

I hear you man and I agree with you on the price vs. quality debate. I'd like to get pair of the Rose IIIs after they mark 'em down in a bit.

The LBJ was $125...

Most things fashion are cyclical, so companies trying to cash in on the nostalgia older items bring should not come as a surprise. Yes the quality is not as great as the originals but the fact that many segments of consumers couldn't buy the original for whatever reason makes retros a lucrative prospect for sneaker companies. I was a little kid when Jordan's were at their height, and no way in hell were my parents going to buy them for me back then. Now I could try to cop some of the OGs but I can't afford to pay some of the prices for the ones in good condition, as I just graduated college and have some other priorities over shoes at the moment. Retros at least give me a chance to compensate for all the missed opportunities from the past...

But I can see why a lot of the older sneaker heads and enthusiasts find them to be appalling. Nothing beats the OGs and I acknowledge that, but when people say that they shouldn't retro I always wonder why...

The thing about nike+ I think most people griping about it is that it's not for you.  It's for college athletic depts, olympic trainers, etc. i.e. huge conglomerates with superior backing that can justify spending the extra money for the technology.  This isn't for your average dude running around imho.  That's what the regular version is for. I got my hyperdunk elites for 95 shipped. that's a killer price for that show if you ask me, especially when hoopin indoor on 'em.  I don't get the hoopla around the lbx+ price point.

What other sneaker company has the leverage Nike currently has?

No other company has that kind of leverage in the basketball market, but every other company will be able to follow the trend once the standard is set. Think of it outside of the realm of sneakers for a moment. The vast majority of people know absolutely nothing about what high quality wine and liquor is supposed to be. It's been tested again and again that how people actually judge alcohol is by the price of the bottle. Similarly the vast majority of people (even the vast majority of people calling themselves sneakerheads) have no idea what actually goes into the production costs of a shoe, or how to empirically tell what the quality of a sneaker is. Once the standard is set that a high quality basketball sneaker (or bottle of wine, etc.) is supposed to cost X dollars then everything below that dollar amount is deemed low quality and "cheap." They become the new Payless sneakers that kids remember being disappointed getting instead of the new Jordans, Lebrons, [insert generational basketball star here]. Nike's been doing it for over a decade now with the Lebron line, slowly and steadily raising prices to the $180 base price we're at now. Their newest experiment is the huge price jump for the "technologically advanced" sneakers. The elite line this year and the new + line next year might flop harder than New Coke, but I doubt it. Especially if Nike manages to tap into the workout/diet craze in this country with these.

If Nike is successful with the Elite and + lines, then Adidas, Li Ning, Ball'n, UA, and every other manufacturer won't be far behind with their version. There's been a bit of talk about Adidas making the DRose III $160. Would that be possible if $160 hadn't become the baseline for retros and Lebrons over the last couple of years?

The thing about nike+ I think most people griping about it is that it's not for you.  It's for college athletic depts, olympic trainers, etc. i.e. huge conglomerates with superior backing that can justify spending the extra money for the technology.  This isn't for your average dude running around imho.  That's what the regular version is for. I got my hyperdunk elites for 95 shipped. that's a killer price for that show if you ask me, especially when hoopin indoor on 'em.  I don't get the hoopla around the lbx+ price point.

I have to say that's just not true. If the Nike+ wasn't for your average weekend warrior in his rec league, or the guy who's just wearing them to show out casually, they would be marketed very differently. Not to mention that college athletic depts, olympic trainers, etc. have ways to measure all of the same things that a Nike+ shoe would.

Just finished an interview for a seasonal position and submitted my background check. Just waiting for a phone call now. Hopefully my chances are good!

They are definitely not meant for the rec league dude or the avg guy. Why would anyone want to track stats if they aren't in some type of training regiment? And if people in a rec league are buying 300 dollar shoes, that's up to them but the way these things function are for people trying hard to get better by tracking stats and improving on them as a goal to beat every time you train. Does that sound like the casual wearers or average rec leaguers? Where I live, people ball in running shoes for rec leagues haha. These are meant for the high school athlete trying to better themselves or the college kid that wants to take it to the next level. Whether such people can afford to pay the price for that type of tool is a whole different argument lol...

They are definitely not meant for the rec league dude or the avg guy. Why would anyone want to track stats if they aren't in some type of training regiment? And if people in a rec league are buying 300 dollar shoes, that's up to them but the way these things function are for people trying hard to get better by tracking stats and improving on them as a goal to beat every time you train. Does that sound like the casual wearers or average rec leaguers? Where I live, people ball in running shoes for rec leagues haha. These are meant for the high school athlete trying to better themselves or the college kid that wants to take it to the next level. Whether such people can afford to pay the price for that type of tool is a whole different argument lol...
See this is what i have been saying the college kid who goes to a big time school will not have to pay for them, they will be given to them. If the highschool is athletic department is rich enough and a basketball school they will give them to the kids. One of the schools around my way is contemplating on buying he hyperdunk + for the basketball team. Just for training purposes. People who play pickup ball for fun and chances are going to the next level are over and done with really have no use for these shoes, just for entertainment only. Then if anyone in the NBA wants to use these shoes (hyperdunk or LeBron) you can bet they are not paying for them. So my question is at this price tag who are they really marketing these shoes to? It is a real minute group of people who can actually get some worthwhile use out of these, that may benefit them. You can bet the weekend warrior who has a family to feed and bills to pay will only pick these up at the mall and put them right back down. Like, I say a reseller's delight and a college kid who does not play a sport, but is getting a big student loan excess check and has money to burn. But, on the other hand we should be thankful that there is a $180 version and a soldier line that LeBron himself does not even wear in games to purchase. Nike has some of yall by the balls on some of the stuff they come up with.....

See this is what i have been saying the college kid who goes to a big time school will not have to pay for them, they will be given to them. If the highschool is athletic department is rich enough and a basketball school they will give them to the kids. One of the schools around my way is contemplating on buying he hyperdunk + for the basketball team. Just for training purposes. People who play pickup ball for fun and chances are going to the next level are over and done with really have no use for these shoes, just for entertainment only. Then if anyone in the NBA wants to use these shoes (hyperdunk or LeBron) you can bet they are not paying for them. So my question is at this price tag who are they really marketing these shoes to? It is a real minute group of people who can actually get some worthwhile use out of these, that may benefit them. You can bet the weekend warrior who has a family to feed and bills to pay will only pick these up at the mall and put them right back down. Like, I say a reseller's delight and a college kid who does not play a sport, but is getting a big student loan excess check and has money to burn. But, on the other hand we should be thankful that there is a $180 version and a soldier line that LeBron himself does not even wear in games to purchase. Nike has some of yall by the balls on some of the stuff they come up with.....

This is what I meant in my last post. That the people who genuinely need this type of technology (are going to potentially go pro/D1) probably won't have to pay for their pair. So who's left? Adults who probably won't be using it for anything more than keeping in shape, or high school and college kids who might play at a lower level and think that it will help them. This is of course excluding the people who'll pay the price purely for aesthetics. I don't know if anyone else has been watching Nike's plus/fuel points advertising campaign on twitter, but they really are heavily advertising this stuff like an extension of their nike+ running. Although it might be useful for people who play sports at a high level, much like most of Nike's products, that's not the primary sales demographic. It's like Sk33ter said, dude's play rec ball in running shoes; so if that's the case, how many of us actually NEED a $180 basketball shoe? But there's not really a discussion of who's going to buy those. So what we're really discussing here, is what is the price ceiling for athletic footwear for the casual athlete, and is adding in stat tracking technology a high enough value add to bring that price up to ~$300? I say that in this society, yes it is.

Back
Top Bottom