Ask someone who works in a hollywood talent agency....

Hey Jordan i extremely appreciate this thread. you have dropped much knowledge.

What advice would you give to an upcoming comedian/writer. is there one side i should pursue more. been wondering about enterig the entertainment world and just want to know the best way in. btw is it better to go to New York or LA to start my path.

Hey Jordan i extremely appreciate this thread. you have dropped much knowledge.

What advice would you give to an upcoming comedian/writer. is there one side i should pursue more. been wondering about enterig the entertainment world and just want to know the best way in. btw is it better to go to New York or LA to start my path.

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

Originally Posted by bkmac

I just have one question, hope it's not too late for you to give it a look.

My friends and I have movie ideas, not written scripts, but just ideas that we would love to see made into a movie (example, a comedy for Will Ferell and such). How would we go about sending that idea to his people? Is that even possible? We realize it may never get looked at, but the thought of possibly sending it out would be really cool.

A+ thread, FWIW.
Thanks!
So you're talking about whats called a "pitch" people can sell pitches to studios and producers and walk out of the room with a million bucks. Those people are 98% of the time well established writer/producers.

Most newcomers will write the script and then get an agent. That agent will try ti get  Will Ferrel attached and then with that try to get a big director attached. From there he may approach a financier to put down 20% of the money then they go to a studio to get the movie greenlit.

Every step i just outlined is very hard and happens a couple of times a year for new writers.

That said, If you have an agent he will listen to you're material and tell you if its good but he would then ask you to write it, you gotta be pretty big to just get meetings off of pitches.
I figured you had to be known/established in order for your pitch to get noticed. My friends and I literally don't even have a script written, or intend on writing one, we just have the ideas set out that we feel would make great comedies. Our problem is getting the right people to actually potentially know about them.

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

Originally Posted by bkmac

I just have one question, hope it's not too late for you to give it a look.

My friends and I have movie ideas, not written scripts, but just ideas that we would love to see made into a movie (example, a comedy for Will Ferell and such). How would we go about sending that idea to his people? Is that even possible? We realize it may never get looked at, but the thought of possibly sending it out would be really cool.

A+ thread, FWIW.
Thanks!
So you're talking about whats called a "pitch" people can sell pitches to studios and producers and walk out of the room with a million bucks. Those people are 98% of the time well established writer/producers.

Most newcomers will write the script and then get an agent. That agent will try ti get  Will Ferrel attached and then with that try to get a big director attached. From there he may approach a financier to put down 20% of the money then they go to a studio to get the movie greenlit.

Every step i just outlined is very hard and happens a couple of times a year for new writers.

That said, If you have an agent he will listen to you're material and tell you if its good but he would then ask you to write it, you gotta be pretty big to just get meetings off of pitches.
I figured you had to be known/established in order for your pitch to get noticed. My friends and I literally don't even have a script written, or intend on writing one, we just have the ideas set out that we feel would make great comedies. Our problem is getting the right people to actually potentially know about them.

Outstanding and tremendous thread with great insights into the industry. I also appreciate that you've taken the direction/ stance of helping people with career questions and advice, rather than whisper or wonder what celebrities are on drugs, etc. Much respect.

Back
Top Bottom