Ask someone who works in a hollywood talent agency....

Do you think the transition from being an extra and working your way up would be better than being a model and working into tv/movies? Would you relate being an extra to working in the mailroom for an agency in terms of the rise to success?

I just have one question, hope it's not too late for you to give it a look.

My friends and I have movie ideas, not written scripts, but just ideas that we would love to see made into a movie (example, a comedy for Will Ferell and such). How would we go about sending that idea to his people? Is that even possible? We realize it may never get looked at, but the thought of possibly sending it out would be really cool.

A+ thread, FWIW.

My friends and I have movie ideas, not written scripts, but just ideas that we would love to see made into a movie (example, a comedy for Will Ferell and such). How would we go about sending that idea to his people? Is that even possible? We realize it may never get looked at, but the thought of possibly sending it out would be really cool.

A+ thread, FWIW.

Originally Posted by Informerx

Do TV Shows have to pay any royalties to music played during the show? For example, if on an episode of Seinfeld, a song plays in Jerry's car radio, do they have to pay a fee for the right to play the song?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Informerx

Do TV Shows have to pay any royalties to music played during the show? For example, if on an episode of Seinfeld, a song plays in Jerry's car radio, do they have to pay a fee for the right to play the song?
Yes.

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

Would you say already established people have a much easier time finding roles than others. For example The Rock, Ice cube, Common, Beyonce etc.

I know it seems like this to the audience, like lets say a popular musician with no acting experience yet would they find getting roles easy as soon as they start looking ?
Of course 10000%

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

Would you say already established people have a much easier time finding roles than others. For example The Rock, Ice cube, Common, Beyonce etc.

I know it seems like this to the audience, like lets say a popular musician with no acting experience yet would they find getting roles easy as soon as they start looking ?
Of course 10000%

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

Do you think the transition from being an extra and working your way up would be better than being a model and working into tv/movies? Would you relate being an extra to working in the mailroom for an agency in terms of the rise to success?

extras rarely get seen by the right people (agents, managers, casting directors)
I would say its hard but doable, you're not saying anything on camera, and most of time extras are just people in a crowd.

Models who already have agents will have better access to talent agents, modeling agents will make recommendations.

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

extras rarely get seen by the right people (agents, managers, casting directors)
I would say its hard but doable, you're not saying anything on camera, and most of time extras are just people in a crowd.

Models who already have agents will have better access to talent agents, modeling agents will make recommendations.

Originally Posted by ireminisce

biology major in college, went to check out the entertainment industry, and now you're wanting to go to business school? that's some extremes, lol.

how are the benefits? since you mentioned that the pay isn't that great.
I got into med school, had to pass on it. 
While b-school is mostly consultants and finance people about 1/3 come from very diverse professional backgrounds.

People leave ent. to go to Law or B schools all the time.

biology major in college, went to check out the entertainment industry, and now you're wanting to go to business school? that's some extremes, lol.

While b-school is mostly consultants and finance people about 1/3 come from very diverse professional backgrounds.

Originally Posted by bkmac

A+ thread, FWIW.
Thanks!
So you're talking about whats called a "pitch" people can sell pitches to studios and producers and walk out of the room with a million bucks. Those people are 98% of the time well established writer/producers.

Most newcomers will write the script and then get an agent. That agent will try ti get  Will Ferrel attached and then with that try to get a big director attached. From there he may approach a financier to put down 20% of the money then they go to a studio to get the movie greenlit.

Every step i just outlined is very hard and happens a couple of times a year for new writers.

That said, If you have an agent he will listen to you're material and tell you if its good but he would then ask you to write it, you gotta be pretty big to just get meetings off of pitches.

Originally Posted by bkmac

A+ thread, FWIW.
Thanks!
So you're talking about whats called a "pitch" people can sell pitches to studios and producers and walk out of the room with a million bucks. Those people are 98% of the time well established writer/producers.

Most newcomers will write the script and then get an agent. That agent will try ti get  Will Ferrel attached and then with that try to get a big director attached. From there he may approach a financier to put down 20% of the money then they go to a studio to get the movie greenlit.

Every step i just outlined is very hard and happens a couple of times a year for new writers.

That said, If you have an agent he will listen to you're material and tell you if its good but he would then ask you to write it, you gotta be pretty big to just get meetings off of pitches.

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

Damn dude. Where?

What made you pass on THAT?

BTW, after you go to grad school, what would you want to do? It doesn't seem  like it would make sense to do all that work in Hollywood not to capitalize on it.

Damn dude. Where?

BTW, after you go to grad school, what would you want to do? It doesn't seem  like it would make sense to do all that work in Hollywood not to capitalize on it.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Damn dude. Where?

Nowhere amazing, I passed b/c I have docs in the family and worked side by side with one for a while, if you get in there you may change mind thats all, for any job.
I want to get into management consulting(short term at least). I fell you on leaving after so long, but it  is what it is, I haven't left yet  but sometimes you just know that you don't want a certain lifestyle for 40 years. I loves it at first, but like anything else you have to think about the long term. I see the lives of agents or any busy exec in Ent.  its a tough road that can take a toll on life outside of work. 

Bottom line its a sexy job on the outside but everythings not what its cracked up to be.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Damn dude. Where?

Nowhere amazing, I passed b/c I have docs in the family and worked side by side with one for a while, if you get in there you may change mind thats all, for any job.
I want to get into management consulting(short term at least). I fell you on leaving after so long, but it  is what it is, I haven't left yet  but sometimes you just know that you don't want a certain lifestyle for 40 years. I loves it at first, but like anything else you have to think about the long term. I see the lives of agents or any busy exec in Ent.  its a tough road that can take a toll on life outside of work. 

Bottom line its a sexy job on the outside but everythings not what its cracked up to be.

Back
Top Bottom