Ask someone who works in a hollywood talent agency....

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Are a lot of actors/artists divas?

YES! its the nature of the talent biz, we are infact the ones who pump up their egos. All actors have a team around them that teams is to support them anyway whatsoever. Actors walk down the street and papparazi come running, people rush them when they see them, its hard not have that affect you. I think its one of the main reasons, IMO that people even come out to LA.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Are a lot of actors/artists divas?

YES! its the nature of the talent biz, we are infact the ones who pump up their egos. All actors have a team around them that teams is to support them anyway whatsoever. Actors walk down the street and papparazi come running, people rush them when they see them, its hard not have that affect you. I think its one of the main reasons, IMO that people even come out to LA.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

Interesting thread. I live in LA and have friends who are aspiring entertainers of various kinds, so its interesting to get the perspective of someone who is really in the industry trenches. Its confirmation for me that I wouldn't have been cut out for that business. I would have been one of those dudes who stormed out after the third day.

And, for what its worth OP, I don't think you're coming across as self-important or arrogant. Just a guy doing a job that a lot of people are interested in.

Thanks. That one dude is just mad at me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by lawdog1

Interesting thread. I live in LA and have friends who are aspiring entertainers of various kinds, so its interesting to get the perspective of someone who is really in the industry trenches. Its confirmation for me that I wouldn't have been cut out for that business. I would have been one of those dudes who stormed out after the third day.

And, for what its worth OP, I don't think you're coming across as self-important or arrogant. Just a guy doing a job that a lot of people are interested in.

Thanks. That one dude is just mad at me
laugh.gif

what was your major in college?
so usually you guys start off doing mail room, interning, and personal assistant stuff right?  do you just gradually move up and learn on the job?  do the older guys mentor you a little bit and help you out?

my friend from school was a business major i think.  he hated it and wanted to get into television production.  he started as a PA a year or two ago.  he's done stuff for fox and recently worked on the million match maker here in new york.

so usually you guys start off doing mail room, interning, and personal assistant stuff right?  do you just gradually move up and learn on the job?  do the older guys mentor you a little bit and help you out?

my friend from school was a business major i think.  he hated it and wanted to get into television production.  he started as a PA a year or two ago.  he's done stuff for fox and recently worked on the million match maker here in new york.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

how does it feel to be a slave? i mean, what's your goal? anything is possible doing #%#@ independently now.

^^if you want to be an agent there is no other way, people try to do it without being an asst first and fail all the time.
Writer? Actor? Director? most dont start in agencies, Most producers develop all the connections they need from working there.

Think about it agencies are like a crossroad for every function, if you want to do something the agencies are the best way to get exposure, just last week someone left to go work with side by side with Spielberg, thats hard to do independently.

Agencies are very much the grad school for Hollywood.

Indies are great but agencies are where the big boys play, not to mention you have better chances/opportunities to make it.

Lets say this, you want to be in TV? well at an agency you talk to Larry David, Seth McFarlane and Jerry Bruckhiemer everyday.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

how does it feel to be a slave? i mean, what's your goal? anything is possible doing #%#@ independently now.

^^if you want to be an agent there is no other way, people try to do it without being an asst first and fail all the time.
Writer? Actor? Director? most dont start in agencies, Most producers develop all the connections they need from working there.

Think about it agencies are like a crossroad for every function, if you want to do something the agencies are the best way to get exposure, just last week someone left to go work with side by side with Spielberg, thats hard to do independently.

Agencies are very much the grad school for Hollywood.

Indies are great but agencies are where the big boys play, not to mention you have better chances/opportunities to make it.

Lets say this, you want to be in TV? well at an agency you talk to Larry David, Seth McFarlane and Jerry Bruckhiemer everyday.

Originally Posted by shogun

Biology, like i said before majors don't matter at all.
Being an asst is very much like being an apprentice. 

I listen to every phone call, take notes, prep for client meeting, write booking reports, etc. There is a lot of real work at my level, I am the #1 asst my boss has 3, one guy only does scheduling. The other guy is big on personal tasks (take my 13 yr old daughter to the VMA's) I started as the schedule guy once i got hired on full time

Originally Posted by shogun

Biology, like i said before majors don't matter at all.
Being an asst is very much like being an apprentice. 

I listen to every phone call, take notes, prep for client meeting, write booking reports, etc. There is a lot of real work at my level, I am the #1 asst my boss has 3, one guy only does scheduling. The other guy is big on personal tasks (take my 13 yr old daughter to the VMA's) I started as the schedule guy once i got hired on full time

biology major in college, went to check out the entertainment industry, and now you're wanting to go to business school? that's some extremes, lol.

how are the benefits? since you mentioned that the pay isn't that great.

biology major in college, went to check out the entertainment industry, and now you're wanting to go to business school? that's some extremes, lol.

how are the benefits? since you mentioned that the pay isn't that great.

Would you say already established people have a much easier time finding roles than others. For example The Rock, Ice cube, Common, Beyonce etc.

I know it seems like this to the audience, like lets say a popular musician with no acting experience yet would they find getting roles easy as soon as they start looking ?

Would you say already established people have a much easier time finding roles than others. For example The Rock, Ice cube, Common, Beyonce etc.

I know it seems like this to the audience, like lets say a popular musician with no acting experience yet would they find getting roles easy as soon as they start looking ?

Do TV Shows have to pay any royalties to music played during the show? For example, if on an episode of Seinfeld, a song plays in Jerry's car radio, do they have to pay a fee for the right to play the song?

Do TV Shows have to pay any royalties to music played during the show? For example, if on an episode of Seinfeld, a song plays in Jerry's car radio, do they have to pay a fee for the right to play the song?

Do you think the transition from being an extra and working your way up would be better than being a model and working into tv/movies? Would you relate being an extra to working in the mailroom for an agency in terms of the rise to success?

Back
Top Bottom