Ask the Barber

Yo so I got minor psoriasis (Runs in the family) and sometimes my head will start reeking something fierce because of the dead skin, if I got the day off I shampoo but if I just got off work and need a cut and it's still early I'll go.
I feel like this bothers my barber, which will affect the outcome of my haircut because the smell bothers him, any idea on how I can treat this?

Originally Posted by ErickM713

Yo so I got minor psoriasis (Runs in the family) and sometimes my head will start reeking something fierce because of the dead skin, if I got the day off I shampoo but if I just got off work and need a cut and it's still early I'll go.
I feel like this bothers my barber, which will affect the outcome of my haircut because the smell bothers him, any idea on how I can treat this?
I'm not a barber bro, but.......
that's grimy bro, ALWAYS wash your head before you see a barber. That's like a barber not washing his hands after he ate or smoked to cut your hair, how would you like that feeling, huh? HUH!?! 

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT!?!?!?!?! 

Originally Posted by khadafi252

Mr. Barber, is tipping $5- $6 too high?  I spend a flat $20 whether I use a card or cash.  It's $5 sometimes because of the $1 card processing fee.  Followup question to that is, is there preferential treatment in quality of work?  I've gone to my barber since Feb 2011, paid the same amount, and I swear he does a better job each time 
roll.gif

Maybe he just knows you're going to tip so he tries to take real good care with you.
I don't think that's too high. 

It's how you value your barbers haircut! 

Originally Posted by khadafi252

Mr. Barber, is tipping $5- $6 too high?  I spend a flat $20 whether I use a card or cash.  It's $5 sometimes because of the $1 card processing fee.  Followup question to that is, is there preferential treatment in quality of work?  I've gone to my barber since Feb 2011, paid the same amount, and I swear he does a better job each time 
roll.gif

hold up...do you mess with Daniel at barbershop 110/block1949 in tempe?

if not who do you get cut by out here? barbers out here suck man.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

that's grimy bro, ALWAYS wash your head before you see a barber. That's like a barber not washing his hands after he ate or smoked to cut your hair, how would you like that feeling, huh? HUH!?! 

My barber shop's only open Tues-Sat.
If I worked a short shift I'll go, if I worked 5+ hours I'll pass till I got a day off, as of lately I've only been going on my days off.

!!!% there's been times where I wouldn't get a hair cut for 2 weeks because I would'nt make it in time since my barber leaves the shop at 4.

roll.gif

Damn fam'! 
laugh.gif

Anyways, I suggest you either pay him to wash your hair out if you don't have the money or don't want to buy 'cause you can do it at home then do so.

They sell the little bottle of conditioner anyways. 

Just use the barber's restroom turn on the water, wet the scalp, use the conditioner and get some towel wipe of the water.

My barber shop's only open Tues-Sat.
If I worked a short shift I'll go, if I worked 5+ hours I'll pass till I got a day off, as of lately I've only been going on my days off.

!!!% there's been times where I wouldn't get a hair cut for 2 weeks because I would'nt make it in time since my barber leaves the shop at 4.

tumblr_lk472lSKLD1qe5ugfo1_500.gif

Do you adjust your Andis outliners any special way?

I have a brand new one that I don't use because i adjusted them too sharp awhile back.

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Do you adjust your Andis outliners any special way?

I have a brand new one that I don't use because i adjusted them too sharp awhile back.

Yes, they're just like teeth.
You can't have a over-bite, and not having them set close enough won't get those super fine/crisp line ups or tapers. 

I use a blade setter, 'cause doing them by the eye can get difficult... 

Fellow barbers, or any one with experience the Wahl Bald Clipper can y'all tell me why they caught on fire after disinfecting them while running?! 
The clippers weren't running hot, I had use them on the taper to bald out the sides and nape of the neck.

Which took less than two minutes...

I ran the clippers,  and sprayed/disinfected them with Cool Care. 

All of a sudden I hear a boof/boom noise and on the side the switch is on bursted into flames! 

I quickly threw 'em into the sink then un-plugged them.

That stopped the flames. 

If you saw the clipper though, it was as if nothing happened at all! 

I had just bought them, so I went and got a new pair seeing how I just had bough 'em last month...

Help a fellow barber out! 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by damelloyellow15

okay, i got waves and it looks like im balding from the crown. Any tips on what should i do.

most people with waves look like this.. its because you brush your hair in four different directions..all starting from your crown.

brahs what screw driver do I need to adjust my And is t outliners and Improved Masters? I been using a Phillips but joints aint loosening for nathan. I`m thinking its my screw drivers but idk.

I had the same thing
Try this & it'll be gone in a month

Amazon product ASIN B0000Y3CRY 

my uncle treated me to a haircut at his barber and i guess he didn't know the urban barber terminology. So next time i go to a barber like that, how do I ask for a "bald fade with a chin strap"?
also, how do i get the mustache and beard to connect because its always a space in between?

This isn't a barber question but
have any of you ever got  a haircut that looked good

until you saw the little details?

I think I got messed up

It was fine when i got it (Thursday)

But now i'm not too happy with it

I think I'm going to go to my barber and get a the bald fade with a 2 on top from

a couple pages back

i'm kinda pissed

I think I love this thread way too much. That wilson chandler cut seems to be difficult for my barber to process 
tired.gif
. First time he did it perfect, except he made my beard too thin, last time he did it way too high so it looks like I just got a hair cut on the side of my head. At least he got my facial hair on point, and it doesn't look bad, but def not what I wanted. My question is can I still get that wilson chandler look since the sides are already this short or will it look weird and uneven growing in?

so i recently got my hair cut a couple of days ago ( use to have a large, curly, frohawk) to a smaller mohawk.

consequently, this lead to my hair being straighter than i remembered.

i actually like this straight hair but im wondering if it's only temporary?

would there be anyway to maintain it?

thanks in advance.

I am not a barber but I have some advice from what I have learned ...

-Don't be afraid to go to every dude in the shop at some point to cut your hair until you find someone you like.
I am mostly Italian with a little Spanish thrown in so my hair is thick and get wavy. Its thicker then most other races due to that weird mix but not as thick as a black dudes obviously so I had a hard time when I hit high school and wanted a more "ethnic" hair cut as my mom calls it. Most black barbers could cut it how I wanted it (skin taper on sides at ears and at back) but they couldn't do it consistently due to my hair texture. So I went to a ton of barbers and even some standard white barbers who I figured would be better at dealing with my hair (showing them TONS of pics of what I wanted) and it was trial and error. I seriously must have had 15 plus barbers cut my hair to mixed results till I found my current barber on a referral. Its a process. Don't settle if your not happy with your cut

-If your in doubt have pics of what you want.
Don't clown but a few months back I wanted a Vinny like mohawk and my barber used to doing fro-hawks and things similar said he couldn't visualize it get him a pic. So I did and it came out great just took to much to keep it maintained but I was happy with it. Rule of thumb if you have not seen him (or her) do what you are looking for take in a few pics.

-Communicate and on some level be at least friendly with your barber.
I have had the same barber now form 5 years. I have referred to him honestly about 20 people of which about 11 or so are still customers of his. I have got a few free cuts from hooking him up but most importantly helped out in other ways. When a barber know twice a month (or as you need it) he has you coming in and you'll send him some people from time to time that lends itself loyalty on both sides. I have texted him sometimes super late saying I need a haircut for a meeting or something and he has come in early the next day to accommodate me.

Sorry long winded thought that may help. If not I just waisted the last 4 mins of my life. Haha.

bro, how do I get that chandler wilson cut if my hair is already long?

What do I ask my barber? should I just show him a picture?

Back
Top Bottom