AT&T agrees to buy T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion!

The whole process is going to take about a year and as long as Tmo can operate as a separate company and not be pulled into the AT&T, it will be a win for the customers. I believe we get to keep our current plans and what not (as of right now) but the service strength between both should be amazing (hopefully) we already have the green light to use the other companies towers w/ applicable roaming charges. Now we should be able to jump back and forth without and charges......I hope

30t6p3b.gif

Once again, some of you guys take this wireless provider loyal thing to a level which I just can't understand
30t6p3b.gif

Anyways, like someone already stated...grandfathered plans aren't going away so AT&T is not going to be able to make any changes to the "existing T-Mobile" customers without also providing the consumer a way out of their current contract. Just know that they'll probably make you sign up for a new plan to take advantage of LTE once it rolls out. Same thing Sprint did for their 4G plans.  

If I understand this correct, the reason AT&T is doing this deal is mainly so that they gain subscribers and access T-Mobile's existing network including HSPA+...T Mobile users will be also get the benefit of expanded coverage, plus access to an LTE network that they never had any plans of switching over to. 

I want to know what's going to happen when both AT&T and Verizon are on LTE networks, with both the iPhone and very similar Android phones...both will probably have similar plans and pricing, so then what are people going to argue about?

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Being a T-mobile Employee, its what ever as long as I have a job and benefits.

But this was pretty much a given.

AT&T can piggy back on T-Mobiles HSPA + , then when the LTE rollout is complete, spit will get real. Sucks for customers for the fact of competition is soon not going to exist.
As a former T-Mobile employee, start looking for a job now before they tell you, you dont have a job anymore.  I know several people who have gone thru mergers and it NEVER works of for the employees of the acquired company.

Originally Posted by Mr718

AT&T can piggy back on T-Mobiles HSPA + , then when the LTE rollout is complete, spit will get real. Sucks for customers for the fact of competition is soon not going to exist.
As a former T-Mobile employee, start looking for a job now before they tell you, you dont have a job anymore.  I know several people who have gone thru mergers and it NEVER works of for the employees of the acquired company.
lol hell I`m about to get my degree so I`m looking regardless. You can never be comfortable at ANY job, cause stuff like this happens everyday
tired.gif

no iphone? consumers lose again 
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif

*you could already hack a iphone to work on Tmobile why not make it official
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Mr718

lol hell I`m about to get my degree so I`m looking regardless. You can never be comfortable at ANY job, cause stuff like this happens everyday
tired.gif
Check your PM

didnt read much of the thread, answer me this

am i going to be forced onto att or can i opt out without a 400+ charge on my 2 line account?

Originally Posted by dyyhard

from Tmobile Forum FAQ 
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/T-Mob...-Mobile-USA-From-Deutsche-Telekom/td-p/785009

Is T-Mobile USA getting the iPhone?

T-Mobile USA remains an independent company. The acquisition is expected to be completed in approximately 12 months. We do not offer the iPhone. We offer cutting edge devices like the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and coming soon our new Sidekick 4G.
roll.gif
idk why but that we do not offer the iphone part made me laugh so hard. And i'm a t-mobile customer...

In AT&T & T-Mobile Merger, Everybody Loses
http://gigaom.com/2011/03/20/in-att-...erybody-loses/

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

http://gigaom.com/2011/03/20/in-att-t-mobile-merger-everybody-loses/[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
The lull of my lazy, rainy weekend was broken by the news that AT&T plans to acquire T-Mobile USA for a whopping $39 billion in cash and stock. Who wins and who loses in this deal? It’s hard to find winners, apart from AT&T and T-Mobile shareholders. Here is a list of who loses, in my opinion, in this deal:

Consumers. The biggest losers of this deal are going to be the consumers. While AT&T and T-Mobile are going to try to spin it as a good deal to combine wireless spectrum assets, the fact is, T-Mobile USA is now out of the market.

T-Mobile USA has been fairly aggressive in offering cheaper voice and data plans as it has tried to compete with its larger brethren. The competition has kept the prices in the market low enough. This has worked well for U.S. consumers. With the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile, the market is now reduced to three national players: AT&T, Verizon and Sprint.  Net-net, U.S. consumers are going to lose.

Phone Handset Makers. Before the merger was announced, the handset makers such as HTC and Motorola had two major carriers who could buy their GSM-based phones. They just lost any ability to control price and profits on handsets because now there is a single buyer that can dictate what GSM phones come to market. Even with LTE becoming the standard for the 4G world, it would essentially be a market dominated by three buyers (should Sprint go with LTE), which would place handset makers at the mercy of the giants.

Sprint. The nation’s third-largest carrier was in talks to buy T-Mobile according to Bloomberg, but AT&T’s offer has now pushed Sprint to the bottom of the pile in terms of size and potentially spectrum assets if it goes through. If it doesn’t go through, then Sprint now has a price it has to match in order to get its hands on T-Mobile. Plus, Sprint and T-Mobile often stood against AT&T and Verizon on a variety of regulatory issues, so if AT&T succeeds, Sprint will stand alone on special access and other issues.

Network Equipment Suppliers. The carrier consolidation has proved to be a living hell for companies that make infrastructure network equipment. Alcatel-Lucent, along with Ericsson and Nokia Siemens, are suppliers of gears to both AT&T and T-Mobile USA. With a single customer, they will lost ability to control their own fate and are going to see their profits suffer as a result.

Google. I think the biggest loser in this could be Google. In T-Mobile, it has a great partner for its Android OS-based devices. Now the company will be beholden to two massive phone companies — Verizon and AT&T — who are going to try to hijack Android to serve their own ends.

Don’t be surprised if you see AT&T impose its own will on what apps and service are put on its Android smartphones. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the worst phone company in the U.S. (according to Consumer Reports) tries to create its own app store and force everyone to buy apps through it.

It doesn’t matter how you look at it; this is just bad for wireless innovation, which means bad news for consumers. T-Mobile has been pretty experimental and innovative: It has experimented with newer technologies such as UMA, built its own handsets and has generally been a more consumer-centric company. AT&T, on the other hand, has the innovation of a lead pencil and has the mentality more suited to a monopoly: a position it wants to regain.
[/font]

Originally Posted by prymone

didnt read much of the thread, answer me this

am i going to be forced onto att or can i opt out without a 400+ charge on my 2 line account?
As of now, no. It seems like they are tryna run it as an umbrella/ branch type thing where it's still Tmo but they are a branch of AT&T. W/ that bein said, we shouldn't have to worry about our current plans and phones like the Cingualr/AT&T merger some years ago.  This acquisition seems more like a partnership than one company acquiring the other. They both just wanna expand the GSM networks. Now whoever is upgrading their plans now w/ Tmo might dodge a bullet but get hit buy another since our old phones, though may be able to roam freely between both networks, won't get the full benefit of one or the other. Tmo still aint gettin the iPhone so I don't see it as a full acquisition 

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

To sum the merger.....Its a Spectrum War amongst the carriers.
Pretty much. Sucks for employees of both companies though.
frown.gif

But damn it must be good to sit at the top, being CEOs knowing you wont be touched lol

Back
Top Bottom