Bachelor Pad.

anyone with tips for hiding wires? i've got a new TV and the stand doesn't have a back. the wires are driving me nuts...looks so bad..smh

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

Here's a quick snap of my new apartment/studio.  Hard to get the angles.  Any idea of how to arrange the place, particularly the living area?  So hard to conceptualize since it's just a big square...I need some sort of sidebar/low shelving on the sides, I think, and some sort of art.  The island behind the couch is a floating kitchen island and can be moved anywhere.  Probably need a real coffee table to replace the two side-by-side Ikea side tables.  And thinking about getting another poang chair for the other side.

ohwell.gif
Very nice place.  The first thing that I would do is to put down a light colored area rug to separate your living space from the kitchen space.
Low profile coffee table next in a color other than black.
What colour might you suggest for the table?  I know I need to get splashes of colour in there somewhere, whether it be cushions, throws, table, new poang cushion, etc. 
And for the area rug, should it be big enough for the couch to sit on, plus all the other stuff?  I have no idea about these things
ohwell.gif
I would go white for the rug.  You want it to be large enough that the entire couch sits on it, and covers the floor ending at the point where your
lamp is in Pic#2.  You'll want to leave a large "boarder" of your hardwood floors showing around the entire rug so that you don't loose them.  The table can be any color, any material...just whatever looks good on the area rug that you choose.  If black looks the best, go with black.  I would stay away from throw pillows for color since your couch is already heavily cushioned.  A small/odd chair, some random things that are boldly colored on a couple of floating shelves would do the trick.

The couch looks much better on the other wall.
pimp.gif

I would leave it open...makes the space look twice as large.

Originally Posted by trak1sh

This thread is sick....I have my own apartment right now but none of the stuff is anywhere close to the stuff in here. I do have a 50 inch samsung so that keeps me happy.

you: 1
me: 0

frown.gif
frown.gif

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!  Definitely will look at getting a rug.  It wasn't really even on my radar before. High pile?  Low pile?  Would it matter?  I definitely like it better against the wall.  Does make the space much bigger.   Here's an alternative setup with the desk behind the couch.  It opens up the whole area where the desk used to be, and could put a small dining table there I guess.  I'm just moving things around now for the sake of it.  Also, what do you guys think of the storage ottoman in lieu of coffee table idea?

Originally Posted by msw1233

anyone with tips for hiding wires? i've got a new TV and the stand doesn't have a back. the wires are driving me nuts...looks so bad..smh

Lowes home depot etc have wire sleeves or if you wanna find something online just google how to hide wires

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!  Definitely will look at getting a rug.  It wasn't really even on my radar before. High pile?  Low pile?  Would it matter?  I definitely like it better against the wall.  Does make the space much bigger.   Here's an alternative setup with the desk behind the couch.  It opens up the whole area where the desk used to be, and could put a small dining table there I guess.  I'm just moving things around now for the sake of it.  Also, what do you guys think of the storage ottoman in lieu of coffee table idea?

High Pile rugs on hardwood floors =
pimp.gif
 I love that look. as for this pic yea thats and idea or how about putting the desk on the wall across from the couch on that raised wall and then putting that chir in front of the window facing inwards

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by trak1sh

This thread is sick....I have my own apartment right now but none of the stuff is anywhere close to the stuff in here. I do have a 50 inch samsung so that keeps me happy.

you: 1
me: 0

frown.gif
frown.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JRHodges11

pimp.gif
 I love that look. as for this pic yea thats and idea or how about putting the desk on the wall across from the couch on that raised wall and then putting that chir in front of the window facing inwards

Good idea, here's a pic.  I think it works well:

Originally Posted by JRHodges11

pimp.gif

Good idea, here's a pic.  I think it works well:

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Hey Chewtoy came across this pic and reminded me of your kitchen space could be worth a try to put the island somewhere like how this one is

lol @ the instant redesign

personally...I think you need a sectional instead of that couch...but that's a hefty purchase.
Also, since you do have a laptop, I'd try to find a nice desk that has one of those drawers you can push in to hide your computer

ps. a shame you can't get rid of that floating island.. it's quite
indifferent.gif

JR, that's where my island is "supposed" to go in my place.  Not a bad option i guess now that the area over there is uncluttered from the desk.   I used to hate it in the middle, but now it's not too bad I think.  Opens up space beside the desk for...something...

Dirty, yeah I know, sectional would be ideal, but definitely not in the budget.  A nicer desk would be nice as well, but a bit lower on the priority list.  And yeah the island is pretty much useless. I'd have rather them just put the microwave over the stove like normal or something.  With the island where it is above, though, I have the option of putting a couple bar stools on the right side of it.  I just then wouldn't know what to do with the space opposite the kitchen.  it's a huge empty wall.

Thanks for the help so far!  Looks better already.  NT brethren coming through in the clutch
pimp.gif

nice slippers..

ever consider closing the wide doors to your bedroom since it appears that you have another entryway from the hallway... that would give you another wall to play with.

chew, thats a pretty dope starter place. is it a rental or did you buy it ? whats the city/price of a place like that ?

Originally Posted by 23kickz

chew, thats a pretty dope starter place. is it a rental or did you buy it ? whats the city/price of a place like that ?

Thanks man.  It's a rental in Vancouver (Port Moody), BC, where housing is pretty pricey right now.  I pay $1100/mo, but they were asking for $1200, and other units in the same building go for higher.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

nice slippers..

ever consider closing the wide doors to your bedroom since it appears that you have another entryway from the hallway... that would give you another wall to play with.

Cow slippers
pimp.gif

There's actually three entrances for some reason
laugh.gif
.  Two from the hallway, and one big one. I typically keep the doors open.  It looks a bit funny closed, because it's two regular sized doors that go side by side, and they have frosted glass in the middle of each door.  And I like how having them open makes it seem bigger.

Originally Posted by 23kickz

Thanks man.  It's a rental in Vancouver (Port Moody), BC, where housing is pretty pricey right now.  I pay $1100/mo, but they were asking for $1200, and other units in the same building go for higher.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

nice slippers..

Cow slippers
pimp.gif

There's actually three entrances for some reason
laugh.gif
.  Two from the hallway, and one big one. I typically keep the doors open.  It looks a bit funny closed, because it's two regular sized doors that go side by side, and they have frosted glass in the middle of each door.  And I like how having them open makes it seem bigger.
I actually like em closed looks like you could put something over that entrance to accent it a bit, and prob a bit of a far cry but what about taking the wheels off of that island so it doesnt look mobile looks more like its supposed to stay put

Hm, if you were to put anything over the doors, what might it be? Never even really thought about it.

If you're really exotic, some art or have some sort of mural on the doors.
with that said, you can add shutters.

also, you should take the wheels off that (island) in the middle of the kitchen. 

and put a few paitings above the cabinets

nic place ntl
pimp.gif

Well they have these decals like peel and stick wall art maybe if you found a nice design to go on the glass of the door to accent the room that could look awesome

I was gonna say you should take the wheels off if you can too
laugh.gif
...It will look way better and less "cheap"

I moved in back in Feb. Just finished decorating room, still feels like Im missing something tho... 
396464006.jpg

Bathroom...

396464008.jpg

396464002.jpg

I copped this from Ikea for the dining area wall. 55x78 on sale for &150

396464009.jpg

Im hooking the living room up as we speak. Getting some good ideas outa this thread.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom