Bachelor Pad.

Originally Posted by quik1987

0jaxanhack.jpg
That is so cool.

Originally Posted by Guppetto

Originally Posted by KickHead23

Originally Posted by quik1987

1302576480-haberfield-house-09-1000x667.jpg

Wow this is incredibly aesthetically pleasing, to me at least. I'm digging the simplistic vibe, and I don't think I've ever seen that wood paneling done like that on the side walls and ceiling, nice.

This is a nice setup. As a dude i think I would have liked the Grey or Black Wood Paneling a little better, but considering there's not much light in the room, the light wood is probably better for the overall space.
I think what is off is the brick wall.. at least for me it is.. just doesn't fit.

Here's a quick snap of my new apartment/studio.  Hard to get the angles.  Any idea of how to arrange the place, particularly the living area?  So hard to conceptualize since it's just a big square...I need some sort of sidebar/low shelving on the sides, I think, and some sort of art.  The island behind the couch is a floating kitchen island and can be moved anywhere.  Probably need a real coffee table to replace the two side-by-side Ikea side tables.  And thinking about getting another poang chair for the other side. 

ohwell.gif

^^^
I was thinking about getting one of those and sticking it somewhere. It might be hard in the place you're suggesting though because there's a floor heater against the wall on that side, and there is an uneven wall on that side, so it wouldn't sit flush against the wall. Unless that's not that big of an issue. It could easily fit on the other side though, the side with the desk. Just not sure if i should go 5x5 or 4x4 or whatever. I was thinking possibly a 1x5 one for the low side bar somewhere.

I was also thinking of skipping the coffee table and getting a storage chest/foot stool that could double as the table. Either:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S7983943
or
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60163174

Put the couch against the other side wall that the desk is on not by the desk just on that wall closer to the window not just facing the window and put a coffee table in front of it. and since you dont have a tv on the wall the couch would be facing make some other sort of focal point perhaps a piece of art or something you can pretty much leave the island there as a way to section off the room you dont want it to look like one big square so just find creative ways to section off the rooms using furniture that just my advice

Over the weekend I finished painting the walls and the finish on the chair rail molding so now I just have to figure out the seating arrangements, movie posters and other decor items etc but im loving it so far

Sorry for crappy Iphone pics   

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

How big is your "room"? Just enough for the bed and room to get in/out?
There's just enough room at the end of the bed to move through, at the sides about three or four feet.  There'd be more space but there's a massive built in clothing/overhead storage.

Originally Posted by JRHodges11

Put the couch against the other side wall that the desk is on not by the desk just on that wall closer to the window not just facing the window and put a coffee table in front of it. and since you dont have a tv on the wall the couch would be facing make some other sort of focal point perhaps a piece of art or something you can pretty much leave the island there as a way to section off the room you dont want it to look like one big square so just find creative ways to section off the rooms using furniture that just my advice
I actually used to have the couch on that side, but moved it to the current config just to try it out.  The island there on it's own is kind of awkard, actually, so it was pushed against the end of the kitchen.  My other thought was to move the couch to the original location, get the big Ikea expedit bookcase, and then use it as room divider beside the couch. 

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Here's a quick snap of my new apartment/studio.  Hard to get the angles.  Any idea of how to arrange the place, particularly the living area?  So hard to conceptualize since it's just a big square...I need some sort of sidebar/low shelving on the sides, I think, and some sort of art.  The island behind the couch is a floating kitchen island and can be moved anywhere.  Probably need a real coffee table to replace the two side-by-side Ikea side tables.  And thinking about getting another poang chair for the other side. 

ohwell.gif
Very nice place.  The first thing that I would do is to put down a light colored area rug to separate your living space from the kitchen space.
Low profile coffee table next in a color other than black.

Over the weekend I finished painting the walls and the finish on the chair rail molding so now I just have to figure out the seating arrangements, movie posters and other decor items etc but im loving it so far

Great work.  My media room is the same red color.  I just put in three mini track lighting bars this weekend to create the art gallery effect
for some movie posters that I'm having framed.  What color is your accent wall behind the couches?  It's a good look.

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

ohwell.gif
Very nice place.  The first thing that I would do is to put down a light colored area rug to separate your living space from the kitchen space.

Great work.  My media room is the same red color.  I just put in three mini track lighting bars this weekend to create the art gallery effect
for some movie posters that I'm having framed.  What color is your accent wall behind the couches?  It's a good look.

@ChewToy yea some thing like that could work but just have to get the right piece so it doesnt look random and if the island alone looked weird maybe put some plants on the floor infront
ohwell.gif
 seems like you have a lot of options to play with
Thanks man its just black over black thats where I am going to put my move posters and some things on that floating shelf

Chewtoy, I'd put the couch along the same wall as the cabinets.. TV on the opposite wall...
it will have the same seem larger by no sectioning it off like it is now with the couch there.

Someone recommend me places to get digital pictures framed. Are there any reputable online places? I went to a local Michaels and they told me I would have to first have the photo made somewhere else and then bring it in. I'm looking for somewhere I can simply give the digital file to and have them take care of everything. Appreciate any help.

ohwell.gif
the rug is a good idea.
also... do you really need a desk?

depending on the size of the area...I'd suggest getting a small dining room set and getting rid of  your desk and possibly the kitchen island if it's yours and not part of the apt. 
If it's part of the apt, is there room to put it to the side, where your rice cooker is?  looks like the same height and color of the countertop.

This thread is sick....I have my own apartment right now but none of the stuff is anywhere close to the stuff in here. I do have a 50 inch samsung so that keeps me happy.

ohwell.gif
What colour might you suggest for the table?  I know I need to get splashes of colour in there somewhere, whether it be cushions, throws, table, new poang cushion, etc. 
And for the area rug, should it be big enough for the couch to sit on, plus all the other stuff?  I have no idea about these things
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

ohwell.gif
the rug is a good idea.
also... do you really need a desk?

depending on the size of the area...I'd suggest getting a small dining room set and getting rid of  your desk and possibly the kitchen island if it's yours and not part of the apt. 
If it's part of the apt, is there room to put it to the side, where your rice cooker is?  looks like the same height and color of the countertop.
I don't "need" a desk I guess.  But since I don't have a TV, I spend most my time at the computer when I'm at home.  The kitchen island is part of the apartment.  It has the microwave in it, and it can plug into an outlet that's in the middle of the floor by the oven.  I can put it to the side of the rice cooker, that's where I used to have it before I moved the couch around, but i might have to move the couch if I put the island back there, or else it might feel a bit cramped on that side, unless i just have the couch off centre.

Edit:
Here's the couch and island pushed against the wall.  Thoughts?  Do I really need a physical space separator, like a shelving unit, or would an area rug be good enough?  If I had it this way, I'd need something on the floor beside the island I think.  And I guess the coffee table would somehow be the focal point?  Also, any ideas for a colour theme to complement the black/brown stuff and liven up the place?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom