Bachelor Pad.

Originally Posted by skiptomylou

Not the best of picture takers but this is me and my young ladys place so not technically a bachelors pad but it has spaces where I can get my peace. We went from bare walls a little bit of furniture to what you see now with a few additions. The basement is unfinished so i dont neccesarily have pics to share. But keep up the good work fellas loving the pics

Info on this sectional? Really nice place man

Originally Posted by skiptomylou

Not the best of picture takers but this is me and my young ladys place so not technically a bachelors pad but it has spaces where I can get my peace. We went from bare walls a little bit of furniture to what you see now with a few additions. The basement is unfinished so i dont neccesarily have pics to share. But keep up the good work fellas loving the pics

I don't want this to seem like hate, you've got a really nice place there but you need to develop some kind of cohesive style.  Too many different elements with the couches, tables, artwork, between modern, ornate, contemporary, etc.  It doesn't work together IMO.  Also, see if you can frame out that mirror or something.  Otherwise between the floors, paint choices, moldings, it could be great and the space looks awesome.

keith .......that sectional was from directbuy when i find the catalog I will get the name for you.

scars no problem i am free for suggestion. I'll be honest i really dont have the eye for interior design at all. All i do is work and keep it moving but i am more than willing to learn. I may take the mirror down don't really like but what kind of frame do you think will work? Thanks again though

Keep in mind I'm not an interior designer but I know a thing or two, an expert may have differing opinions.

Just for example: the living room there with the fireplace. The mirror to me is a matter of choice. It does give the feel of depth but the room itself is a decent size. The only thing I see now about it that might be a problem is that there could already be some kind of border around it, a few inches in from the edges? You could go with a lot of simple moldings that you even find at Lowe's or Home Depot and use that as a frame. Only problem with removing it is how it was affixed to the wall and any damage it might do to the sheetrock. If you do decide to take it down, the most common feature now is having a flat screen mounted above the fireplace which keeps that as the focal point of the living room. Traditionally, the fireplace was, now the TV is but it's best to get the best of both worlds if it fits you, of course.

In terms of the furniture, the couch is very simple brown leather and it looks like the armchair matches. Then you have very ornate, kind of gaudy end & coffee tables, a newer TV stand and a more modern mantle. Easiest solution would be different tables.

Compare that with this room:
dsc05669vp.jpg

I think the furniture works much better together here, it's all pretty modern, the tables and art are more abstract.  Only thing I'd suggest since it's a pretty cost effective change would be maybe changing the paint color.  I like it, I just think that it blends too much with the couch, makes it feel like it's not it's own piece.  You could pull something from the art, though those colors are pretty bold.  That's up to you, not necessary but could help.  If the color in the other room is light blue, it's funny because I think that would look good here.

Don't go crazy, it looks like a great place but relatively minor things can always help.  Enjoy.

DLSilva what kind of floors are those and where can I get them?

Speaking of floors, anybody have any experience with cork or bamboo? I think my plan is to go cork the whole house, probably glass mosaic tiles in the kitchen and bathroom, then for my master I want to get a dark hardwood or bamboo. But I'm getting so many different reviews on cork from one extreme to the other.

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

Keep in mind I'm not an interior designer but I know a thing or two, an expert may have differing opinions.

Just for example: the living room there with the fireplace. The mirror to me is a matter of choice. It does give the feel of depth but the room itself is a decent size. The only thing I see now about it that might be a problem is that there could already be some kind of border around it, a few inches in from the edges? You could go with a lot of simple moldings that you even find at Lowe's or Home Depot and use that as a frame. Only problem with removing it is how it was affixed to the wall and any damage it might do to the sheetrock. If you do decide to take it down, the most common feature now is having a flat screen mounted above the fireplace which keeps that as the focal point of the living room. Traditionally, the fireplace was, now the TV is but it's best to get the best of both worlds if it fits you, of course.

In terms of the furniture, the couch is very simple brown leather and it looks like the armchair matches. Then you have very ornate, kind of gaudy end & coffee tables, a newer TV stand and a more modern mantle. Easiest solution would be different tables.

Compare that with this room:

I think the furniture works much better together here, it's all pretty modern, the tables and art are more abstract.  Only thing I'd suggest since it's a pretty cost effective change would be maybe changing the paint color.  I like it, I just think that it blends too much with the couch, makes it feel like it's not it's own piece.  You could pull something from the art, though those colors are pretty bold.  That's up to you, not necessary but could help.  If the color in the other room is light blue, it's funny because I think that would look good here.

Don't go crazy, it looks like a great place but relatively minor things can always help.  Enjoy.

I agree that the home lacks cohesiveness with the mid-century modern sectional, the leather couches, beige walls, and a fireplace with crown molding, but I disagree about the TV over the fireplace. A room with a fireplace, regardless of aesthetics, should remain the focal point of the room. You create dissonance by having both a fireplace and a TV trying to interact. No bueno.
You have Southern Traditionalist work throughout the space, so I'd stick with that. I'm not a fan of southern traditionalism, but it's what the space was clearly created for. Your maple (?) floors are a testament to that. A modernist would go with at least 4" wide maple or teak wooden floors and a contemporist would choose mahogany. I would move the painting of the piano to a different room, since it's in a traditional frame, yet would be considered abstract expressionism as a piece itself. I personally prefer to let the piece live without a frame, but that choice is up to you. Also, your room with the white sectional has two 1960's end-tables and a coffee table. In that room alone there are three different periods being represented. Someone would argue that because of the seemingly industrialist bolts at the bottom of each leg that they're industrial, but they're not. The vases are Victorian.

To not spend money: sell the end tables, coffee table, and vases and get a plain black coffee table and end tables. That should suffice for creating a modernist space. The floors will be fine to anyone but a (true) interior designer or a (true) architect.

To create a cohesive space throughout: Ditch the painting and sectional. Get on Craigslist and find a brown leather sectional to match and a 24"x18" landscape oil painting or "archival" print for the wall, and add matching lamps to each end of the sofa.

Your home features warm browns and brass. Work with that.

Spoiler [+]
Opinionated.  
ohwell.gif

skip...I'd actually put the mirror above your couch. the size of the mirror is just too big above the fireplace.

good looking place though

Well said, NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Dirty, if that mirror is affixed to the wall using any kind of adhesive like I suspect, he won't likely be using THAT one ever again.  Would be difficult to detach it in one piece.  That's why I thought that at least in terms of ease in improving it, a nice framing of it would reduce the size of the mirrored glass.

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

id like to get a bed like this. I currently have a new queen bed with boxspring but no "bed", headboard or whatever. If i get something like this from overstock, do you use the boxspring still? Id like to, for comfort

heres what im struggling with

I have nothing on the walls currently. I have a lil trouble deciding where id want to put things, but in any event heres my biggest issue:

On one hand, I want to have some artwork that makes my place look clean and classy, but on the other hand I have some sports photos, autographs and magazines id like to frame and have them up.

I dont want my place to look like a hotel, and I dont want it to look like a kid lives there.

Anyone got any insight on having a good balance?

thanks scars i appreciate your insight and opinion i agree with you on most things.

Nike Airs- thanks on your advice as well i like the way you telling me the history on some of the designs

Dirty - thanks man i may just toss that mirror to be honest but i got to find something to put on that mantle

I will show more pics when i take some but man one thing i know its a step by step process where i take a little bit of this and little of that and combine them

Originally Posted by manamazing55

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

id like to get a bed like this. I currently have a new queen bed with boxspring but no "bed", headboard or whatever. If i get something like this from overstock, do you use the boxspring still? Id like to, for comfort

For this bed u need a box spring. The box spring lays on the floor, either that or the bed would be really low.

One last though—

You don't HAVE to have things on the walls.

FOR EXAMPLE:

If you really like your fireplace mantle, let it live as an architectural facet and be a focal point of the room.

Take for instance this home by MCK: http://www.mckarchitects....ow/35/Queens-Park-House/

Notice that there's only ONE piece on the walls? And I can bet you that it's an original purchased at a gallery showing and definitely NOT from Overstock.
The piece is probably the pride and joy of that homeowner, and possibly worth thousands of dollars.
Also note that that's a pretty contemporary aesthetic, so keep that in mind.

I would limit sports memorabilia and things of that nature to an entertainment room, man cave, etc.
Just because you already have the piece doesn't mean you have to use it.
People buy all sorts of stuff on Craigslist. There's even the possibility of making a profit on it.

As for the bed posted above:

This is my bed (except without the ayo bedding):

GQdRu.jpg

It has wooden slats that go across the inside that are flexed upward so there's no need for a box spring.
I have my box spring sitting inside a closet. Ha.

Or, since it's something you have to live with not to mention pay 1000s and even 100s of 1000s for, do what YOU like and not try to impress anyone else or fit into "convention," if that doesn't align with your own taste.

I plan to do all sorts of non conventional things with my house when I get the chance. Hell, it's the main reason why I can't wait to get a house. For one, already got an estimate on building the indoor basketball court. This is a dodgy one because only way it happens is if I buy/build out in the country where you get the acreage which there is a few houses out there I was considering but then gas prices come into the equation too since I'll constantly need to come back into city.

But tell me something about these planks on overstock. http://www.overstock.com/...-SF/4875175/product.html I'll put them in just like how I see on DIY right? Just pull up the carpet, and click lock them together floating or is it better to use glue or nail down? Also how hard is it to install toilets? Again, they make it look hella easy on tv, but should I just hire the "illegal hommies" outside Home Depot to do all of this? Because I am going to buy dual flush 1 pieces and replace all the toilets too.

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Or, since it's something you have to live with not to mention pay 1000s and even 100s of 1000s for, do what YOU like and not try to impress anyone else or fit into "convention," if that doesn't align with your own taste.

I plan to do all sorts of non conventional things with my house when I get the chance. Hell, it's the main reason why I can't wait to get a house. For one, already got an estimate on building the indoor basketball court. This is a dodgy one because only way it happens is if I buy/build out in the country where you get the acreage which there is a few houses out there I was considering but then gas prices come into the equation too since I'll constantly need to come back into city.

But tell me something about these planks on overstock. http://www.overstock.com/...-SF/4875175/product.html I'll put them in just like how I see on DIY right? Just pull up the carpet, and click lock them together floating or is it better to use glue or nail down? Also how hard is it to install toilets? Again, they make it look hella easy on tv, but should I just hire the "illegal hommies" outside Home Depot to do all of this? Because I am going to buy dual flush 1 pieces and replace all the toilets too.
I'm confused, you don't own a house but you already have plans and an estimate for an indoor basketball court?  If you're even thinking about doing something like that, I can't imagine that gas prices are an issue for you and you would definitely need the space that most cities (I'm not sure which you're talking about) wouldn't permit.  Once again, money might not be an issue but you'll get about a 0% percent return on your investment for an indoor basketball court.  What kind of house do you have in mind?

Also, with those floors, are you just going off of watching DIY?  I'd strongly recommend that you see the flooring in person before ordering online.  At nearly $5/sq ft plus shipping, that's not something you want to guess at, unless you've got money to blow.  You wouldn't nail down a cork floor, there's already an underlayment which is a positive and it's a floating floor so it just clicks together.  If you're going from carpeting, do you know what the subfloor is?

Toilets are relatively easy to install if you have any experience.  I'd say the biggest challenges are making sure it's not over or under tightened and that the wax ring is in proper position so that you don't experience any leaks.  It's fairly common to see toilets that may look like they're properly installed but slowly leak beneath the base with no visible water in the bathroom itself.

DLSilva what kind of floors are those and where can I get them?

Speaking of floors, anybody have any experience with cork or bamboo? I think my plan is to go cork the whole house, probably glass mosaic tiles in the kitchen and bathroom, then for my master I want to get a dark hardwood or bamboo. But I'm getting so many different reviews on cork from one extreme to the other.
The floors are black/white/grey crystal granite. You can order them through a local flooring store.They're basic 12x12 tiles and the counters are the same but full slabs including the kitchen. I'll take kitchen pictures tomorrow.

The difficulty I am having finding a clean, minimalist, modern white leather non-sectional sofa (that doesn't cost $5000) for my front room is mind boggling.  
THIS IS WHAT I WANT (I've only found this photo, haven't actually found the sofa for sale):

whitesimplesofa.jpg

This is the closest thing I've found at sub-$2000:

http://www.motiffurniture...a?sc=2&category=8338

mediavo.jpg

I like it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm still hoping one of these days/weeks/months I'll stumble upon the perfect sofa that I'm looking for.  If anyone has any leads, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm confused, you don't own a house but you already have plans and an estimate for an indoor basketball court?  If you're even thinking about doing something like that, I can't imagine that gas prices are an issue for you and you would definitely need the space that most cities (I'm not sure which you're talking about) wouldn't permit.  Once again, money might not be an issue but you'll get about a 0% percent return on your investment for an indoor basketball court.  What kind of house do you have in mind?

Also, with those floors, are you just going off of watching DIY?  I'd strongly recommend that you see the flooring in person before ordering online.  At nearly $5/sq ft plus shipping, that's not something you want to guess at, unless you've got money to blow.  You wouldn't nail down a cork floor, there's already an underlayment which is a positive and it's a floating floor so it just clicks together.  If you're going from carpeting, do you know what the subfloor is?

Toilets are relatively easy to install if you have any experience.  I'd say the biggest challenges are making sure it's not over or under tightened and that the wax ring is in proper position so that you don't experience any leaks.  It's fairly common to see toilets that may look like they're properly installed but slowly leak beneath the base with no visible water in the bathroom itself.
Yea I know what a subfloor is. I buy almost everything I own from Overstock, it's my go to for damn near enything and shipping is only 2$ (actually free in my case) regardless of what you order plus I can get a decent % cashback. It's a shot in the dark somewhat, but I'm sure I'll be happy if it's anywhere close and if not they have the best customer service in the business about returns.

As for the basketball court, it's not going to be part of the house.
laugh.gif
I called and talked to US Steel about making me a building 60ft high x 120 long x 60ft wide or something like that. I have the actual #s on a paper at the house. They can do it for ~40k with 30yr warranty. You see them everywhere down here but most people put a workshop in theirs, or keep their tractors, trailers, bobcats, cows/horses/chickens, etc. or use them for an auxillary garage. It'd be nothing to put a basketball court in one, in fact that's what a lot of churches do but they always get raped on the price (my mom's church paid 500k for their's). It could be something as simple as this
Spoiler [+]
agriculture-metall-buildings%20(13).jpg

Like you said and I mentioned in the initial post, likely would have to move more out to the suburbs to get that kind of land. There are some neighborhoods in the city limits where you get the type of land and freedom to do stuff like that but very few in my price range. As for gas prices, they would be a concern, but I'm not going to go broke over it or anything. It's just worth mentioning because I drive a car that gets 20mpg and if I move to Elgin (which had a somewhat perfect house i have already looked at AND had 3 acres) that's 13 miles from work which is nothing but about 28 from Mom's'n'em's house which I visit at the least 2x a week since they live on the Southwest side of town and Elgin is a suburb on the NorthEast. It would just begin to add up over time.

And DLSilva, I don't know why but somehow they look so majestic in the photo.

Yea I know what a subfloor is. I buy almost everything I own from Overstock, it's my go to for damn near enything and shipping is only 2$ (actually free in my case) regardless of what you order plus I can get a decent % cashback. It's a shot in the dark somewhat, but I'm sure I'll be happy if it's anywhere close and if not they have the best customer service in the business about returns.

As for the basketball court, it's not going to be part of the house.
laugh.gif
I called and talked to US Steel about making me a building 60ft high x 120 long x 60ft wide or something like that. I have the actual #s on a paper at the house. They can do it for ~40k with 30yr warranty. You see them everywhere down here but most people put a workshop in theirs, or keep their tractors, trailers, bobcats, cows/horses/chickens, etc. or use them for an auxillary garage. It'd be nothing to put a basketball court in one, in fact that's what a lot of churches do but they always get raped on the price (my mom's church paid 500k for their's). It could be something as simple as this
Spoiler [+]
agriculture-metall-buildings%20%2813%29.jpg

Like you said and I mentioned in the initial post, likely would have to move more out to the suburbs to get that kind of land. There are some neighborhoods in the city limits where you get the type of land and freedom to do stuff like that but very few in my price range. As for gas prices, they would be a concern, but I'm not going to go broke over it or anything. It's just worth mentioning because I drive a car that gets 20mpg and if I move to Elgin (which had a somewhat perfect house i have already looked at AND had 3 acres) that's 13 miles from work which is nothing but about 28 from Mom's'n'em's house which I visit at the least 2x a week since they live on the Southwest side of town and Elgin is a suburb on the NorthEast. It would just begin to add up over time.

And DLSilva, I don't know why but somehow they look so majestic in the photo.
Okay, good luck.  I wasn't asking if you know what A subfloor is but what THE subfloor is that you would be installing the floors on.  Whether it's on plywood or concrete slab?  I asked because it it's concrete, you just have to make sure it's level first, otherwise that floor should be relatively easy to install.

Oh okay, nah I haven't bought anything yet. I have been looking though.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread something about being able to rollover money from your 401k into a down payment without penalty. Is that true and if so how do I go about doing that? I got like 6k in mine from a few yrs ago that is totally just sitting there rotting and would love to use it productively like that.

Also when you make an offer, do you try to lowball or just go right for whatever they say? Also, how reliable is realtytrac.com ? It claims to give you lists of bank owned foreclosures, but anytime you have to pay for that information I am skeptical.

I'd go all wood and tile.

I just got word that my offer has been accepted for a short sale property. Closing date is scheduled for July 29th. I have roughly three months to decide how I'm going to design every room as the entire place needs to be upgraded.

I'm thinking about going with wood floors throughout the entire house. I could tile the kitchen and put carpet in the bedrooms, but I don't know. Do any of you home/condo owners have a preference?

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

I just got word that my offer has been accepted for a short sale property. Closing date is scheduled for July 29th. I have roughly three months to decide how I'm going to design every room as the entire place needs to be upgraded.

I'm thinking about going with wood floors throughout the entire house. I could tile the kitchen and put carpet in the bedrooms, but I don't know. Do any of you home/condo owners have a preference?

Hard wood in bedrooms is a weird feel...carpet helps with sound dampening.  My house is hardwood downstairs except for the carpeted office, 2nd story carpeted, 3rd story carpeted.

Hardwood. Throughout. Its a pain to keep clean cause of dust but you can't beat the feeling of hardwood. Just get area rugs for under your bed and couches.

expect for the bathrooms and kitchen/laundry room, my entire house is hardwood. i hate it. It's all personal preference but i'd go for something softer in the bedrooms

Back
Top Bottom