Being a white student at a HBCU - Vice Special

Wait.... What? Don't need permission? They shouldn't be saying it at all.

Not about to derail the thread but should/shouldn't wasn't the point.

The point was that no one needs permission from anybody to say a word.

Eh that's how it should be logically, but not how the real world works. You're right though don't derail this.

I sent this to a few people who didn't attend HBCUS and they share similar viewpoints to I. I doubt I'd get that response from Morehouse people. I expect pretentious rants on social media by Sunday if this gains steam.

I mean, it's NT...

Obviously I understand why people get overly emotional when discussing race on here, :lol:

You also agreed with what I was saying, so...

Not sure where you're going with this.

Prejudiced b.

Anyhow, I’m a product of a HBCU...

Now looking back, I wished I attended a regular university. The world ain’t totally black.

Unless you’re going into a specific field - doctor, lawyer, nursing, entuerpnership...you need to learn to play it by their game. Learn how to network and build relationships.

This world is mostly about who you know at times...

I get what you're trying to say, but college really doesn't have anything to do with the real world. Also, IMO, the skills necessary to succeed the traditional corporate way these days are the same regardless if you go to a PWI or HBCU. I always find it a bit funny when black people that go to PWI's talk up their schools alumni network, like that **** was built for them to flourish. Racist old alumni isn't going to see you went to Big State U and put aside their prejudice in order help fellow alum. Last thing to keep in mind is that when companies are looking to hire diverse employees, do you think it would make more sense to go to a PWI and hope that some minority students will be around to hear their spiel and interview, or go to a HBCU where most people you talk to/interview will be minority?

You mean because they have free will? That's blatantly obvious. But we should be talking about common sense. Any reasonable non-black individual shouldn't have (or want to have) the word in their vocab and if they do mutter it should immediately feel the need to either apologize or face consequences.

Not about to derail the thread but should/shouldn't wasn't the point.

folks need permission to say someones first name
instead of their last name in a professional setting though
thats asking permission

I mean, it's NT...

Obviously I understand why people get overly emotional when discussing race on here, :lol:

You also agreed with what I was saying, so...

Not sure where you're going with this.
no one being overly emotional
ur saying it should be ok to use a derogatory term
i swear folks think they can just say and do whatever to black folks
but disrespect them
or their race
they quick to get offended
like bruh
treat others like u want to be treated
its so simple of a concept

no one being overly emotional
ur saying it should be ok to use a derogatory term

I mean, this is the real world.

If someone wants to run up on you and say something you don't like, they can.

Is that ok? No. Do they need permission? No.

u alreay know the answer to that man
dont try and be obtuse
and change the scenario

Get Permission

Or

Ask for Forgiveness

Pick your battle

No one's needs permission to say a word. Even the n-word.

Just be prepared to deal with whatever blowback that comes. Because you meant be asking for forgiveness later

And the problem is not that white people can't say the n-word. It is that they can't use it with impunity.

Basically what I said in the other thread.

So much for not derailing this one, :lol:

but at the same time ignore historical context and the fact thats its demographic that changed the word literally for their own benefit and use to be co-opted and utilized by the same people who denigrate them under the guise of "equality"

its truly insidious

So your arguing for no reason then.

You believe that everyone should have the permission to say any word they like while simultaneously acknowledging that they should be aware of the consequences.

So what exactly are you doing here or in that other thread.

You're going to say "but people are trying to forbid others from saying a word" then the responses will be "no one is forbidden from saying anything but be mindful of the ramifications of uttering such word"

And you knew this. So once again, what is it exactly that you are doing here?

Anyone can say whatever they want. Take away though that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. Don't be like those folks shocked they got punched or fired or whatever.

Anyone can say whatever they want. Take away though that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. Don't be like those folks shocked they got punched or fired or whatever.
but then
is there really freedom of speech in this country
if theres consequences

I get what you're trying to say, but college really doesn't have anything to do with the real world. Also, IMO, the skills necessary to succeed the traditional corporate way these days are the same regardless if you go to a PWI or HBCU. I always find it a bit funny when black people that go to PWI's talk up their schools alumni network, like that **** was built for them to flourish. Racist old alumni isn't going to see you went to Big State U and put aside their prejudice in order help fellow alum. Last thing to keep in mind is that when companies are looking to hire diverse employees, do you think it would make more sense to go to a PWI and hope that some minority students will be around to hear their spiel and interview, or go to a HBCU where most people you talk to/interview will be minority?

Quoting this for emphasis because a good number of black people I know who went to large PWI state schools graduated barely knowing any of the thousands of white ppl they went to school with :lol:

It sounds good in theory that you'd become best friends with Tyler and his rich white family, but race, along with socioeconomic status, have a heavy influence on the relationships you develop.

Also, have you seen how crazy/racist 18 yr old white males are? No thanks. I would've gotten expelled the first week dealing with some of that foolishness.

Back
Top Bottom