big sean featuring kendrick lamar and jay electronica "no i.d" freestyle

G Rap flow only gonna get you so far...you gotta craft beats, be creative, stretch the boundaries, experiment with different flows/sounds.

Dudes outside of NY seem more earthy, more grounded, and you can hear it in the music. Limit your content to the concrete jungle and it comes off one dimensional, and that's the main problem.

Like Dre said...something mind unraveling.

Only dude in NY who does that for me is Nas, and he's out of the equation.

Last edited:
G Rap flow only gonna get you so far...you gotta craft beats, be creative, stretch the boundaries, experiment with different flows/sounds.

Dudes outside of NY seem more earthy, more grounded, and you can hear I in the music. Limit your content to the concrete jungle and it comes off one dimensional, and that's the main problem.

Like Dre said...something mind unraveling.

Only dude in NY who does that for me is Nas, and he's out of the equation.
I really think that's unfair of you to say. New York has all kinds of artists making all kinds of music. What are we talking about; quality music or selling records?

We got people in here saying New York rappers don't even sound New York anymore, and others saying New York rappers cant do anything but the classic New York style. Which is it?

We got people in here saying New York rappers don't even sound New York anymore, and others saying New York rappers cant do anything but the classic New York style. Which is it?

I never grouped all NY rappers as "abandoning" the classic style, but it's obvious ASAP and French have HUGE southern influence. Joey Badass/Bronson are doing a great job of keeping the traditional sound and making good music but dudes like Vado are just spitting bars to spit bars and musically it just doesn't do it. It's like the Papoose era where there were a handful of guys that had next but they just sucked at making good songs and just got by on punchlines.

Last edited:
NY is back.

Young NY artists are putting out crack.

Y'all just won't ever admit to it cause y'all got a 15 year old chip on y'all shoulders.

The sound of the moment is just dumbed down chants and fluffy R&B raps. That's all the radio is gonna play regardless but NY, Cali, Chi-Town etc. are going through mini-renaissances.

Y'all can appreciate it everywhere else but when it comes to NY, y'all always want to hate and take it back to the 90's.

Things are evolving, appreciate it.
Instead of throwing boring shots, actually name someone so I can give them a chance..
It's not about having a "15 year old" chip on my shoulder... This is a music forum,so instead of having your jaws tight like a ratchet Walmart cashier, actually give information because the cats you listed aint spitting no real NY hip hop outside the likes of my man Action Bronson
#allfacts
I would like to partake in a good NY mixtape or song at this point

this right here convinced me bruh, one of the best albums of the last two years.

You have to have a total package...you need a balance.

It's easy to spot somebody like ASAP from Harlem biting so blatantly.

We're talking about the dudes who supposedly have the streets on smash, they are definitely not spitting classic NY. But they're biting styles...come on ying yang twins?

That was 10 years ago.

I just want to know what the actual criticism of New York rap is, because I see a lot of criticism but it seems everyone is saying something different.

Classic NY is that grimy ****.

Storytelling, street tales, a few party tracks. NY don't even pattern themselves after Biggie anymore. Jay was smart to do that.

Now it's just follow the trends set by other regions.

You have to have a total package...you need a balance.

It's easy to spot somebody like ASAP from Harlem biting so blatantly.

We're talking about the dudes who supposedly have the streets on smash, they are definitely not spitting classic NY. But they're biting styles...come on ying yang twins?

That was 10 years ago.
This is the internet era. These new kids coming up are way more widely influenced than the people who came up 10 years ago when musical and cultural influence was basically whatever was in arms reach. You cant really call it biting.

Everyone from New York has to rap the same way? Wouldn't that do more to stagnate New York rap? Whats wrong with pulling influences from another area?

Classic NY is that grimy ****.

Storytelling, street tales, a few party tracks. NY don't even pattern themselves after Biggie anymore. Jay was smart to do that.

Now it's just follow the trends set by other regions.
It has to be more than that. That's rap in general

the only person i can think of who wasn't as lyrical as most NY rappers and switched it up is 50 Cent. there hasn't been anybody who changed the NY landscape of rapping for some time.

Pulling influences is a nice way to put it...but if you take something from the ying yang twins that drop 10 years ago that's not a good look.

Being influenced and being creative are totally different.

You see Atlanta been poppin for how long?

Pulling influences is a nice way to put it...but if you take something from the ying yang twins that drop 10 years ago that's not a good look.

Again we talking about quality music or 'poppin'?

I think Power Trip is a perfect record. Dude made a catchy melodic song and still kept it lyrical enough. He did stay in Queens ( St, Johns) for some years, if it matters. lol

Back
Top Bottom