big sean featuring kendrick lamar and jay electronica "no i.d" freestyle

He has a point tho. Since kendrick first put this song out irrelevant rappers been popping up like groundhogs. I blame k dot for jr writer coming out of hibernation smh

It seems like all the bench warmer rappers our the only ones thats mad

roll.gif

He has a point tho. Since kendrick first put this song out irrelevant rappers been popping up like groundhogs. I blame k dot for jr writer coming out of hibernation smh

But it's crazy to me that people would rather hear a response from the likes of Meek and A$ap over Cassidy and Lupe. Maybe it's because I'm older but just because someone doesn't have hit songs on the radio doesn't mean they're irrelevant.

But it's crazy to me that people would rather hear a response from the likes of Meek and A$ap over Cassidy and Lupe. Maybe it's because I'm older but just because someone doesn't have hit songs on the radio doesn't mean they're irrelevant.
Are you honestly going to tell me you want to hear a response from Keef or Durk?  Come on man.

Are you honestly going to tell me you want to hear a response from Keef or Durk?  Come on man.

Lol be serious. I didn't even mention them. I mentioned people who have been out before kendrick

Because he specifically called those dudes out
Who the hell is still checking for Dipset weed carriers and bi polar rappers that appear on lhny fighting another emotionally dysfunctional rapper..
That was the whole point, he was talking to his peers, the guys responding are not even his peers, they have cemented themselves in the game already and either never made the transition from battle rappers to mainstream or had dirty deals with dudes that took advantage of them( ie Puff and KaySlay)

I Ain't Tryna hear none of them guys lol. ASAP. Meek. Lupe or Cassidy.

I know its different times, but the responses in this thread are similar to the east/west stuff.

Obviously the artists aren't explicitly going at the opposite coast, but the chauvinistic responses from NT'ers dismissing an entire city and its artists are not only emotional. Its comments like these that also fanned the flames of that dreaded east/west beef. 

Were so quick to crown. Idk if it means anything n e more. Kendrick can spit, honestly I think ASAP is up there to, Kendrick just has more of a hip hop imagine, ASAP looks kinda.... But as far as talent, they're about equal. I have a specific list I look to, they fall roughly on that scale.

The more I read the replies in here the more I realize how disconnected I am from most of you. I am an older head and have always been an avid passionate fan. The blanket statements being made in here regarding regions and some of the artist mentioned (if you can even qualify them as such) is an embarrassment to this entire culture. The Internet allows people from all over the globe to communicate with each other and share ideas and opinions. It's a shame this forum is made up of a lot of close minded individuals with way too much regional bias. Every talk radio show I have heard discussing this topic are on a complete different echelon than this thread. Cats like Sway, Premo, 9th Wonder, Young Guru and countless of other artist I admire appear to get what this thread doesn't. This verse by KL wasn't meant to diss NY, only the simpletons would see it as such. His verse was meant to spark a much needed change in the environment of rap music. To hear a lot of you go back and forth on some nonsense is downright pathetic.

Why diggy got his head on meek stomach lol. But to the dude above ASAP is nowhere near k dot. Not a big fan of either so I'm not biased but peso and control showed me 2 different rappers on 2 different levels.

Why diggy got his head on meek stomach lol. But to the dude above ASAP is nowhere near k dot. Not a big fan of either so I'm not biased but peso and control showed me 2 different rappers on 2 different levels.

Ure comparing verses n songs. Then one verse to one song. Body of work I think they're on par. K dot is just more 'hip hop' however, lyrical content, clever bars, beat choice, etc. I think they are on par with each other, except ASAP might be... That hurts his stance.

Last edited:
a lot of artists get caught up making them same music because thats what they think their fans think is hot.  as long as they stick to their signatures, the fans will support them.  same topics, same production etc.  true artists dictate whats hot to their fans, and are constantly trying to experiment.  i think this is what k. dot inadvertently touched on, those who are simply content to remain basic and those who want to challenge themselves creatively.

Here is the article....

Hip-Hop culture just celebrated it's 40th anniversary earlier this week and shortly afterwards an interesting event happened that highlighted the disconnect between Rap listeners, Hip-Hop fans and its individual contributors & participants. There are those that are too young to remember when verses like Kendrick Lamar's on Big Sean's “Control” were a common occurrence and there was so much quality competition at the major label level that fans and critics alike declared it a golden era.

Based on our individual experiences with Hip-Hop culture and Rap we perceive what happened and the subsequent fallout from Kendrick Lamar's “Control” verse differently. Essentially it falls into the realm of Hip-Hop vs. Rap.

Let's discuss the song itself first, “Control” suffered from sample clearance issues which may or may not have been Big Sean's fault. On said song Sean opens with a strong effort but Kendrick Lamar overshines on him to the point that you would consider never letting anyone ever hear the track. Jay Electronica added an extra verse but in comparison to what Kendrick had previously laid down it wouldn't garner anywhere near the same attention from listeners. So there Big Sean was. He had a decision to make and he thought he'd take the “Hip-Hop” approach to leak the track rather than the “Rap” one and suppress it. Let me explain what I mean by that.

The “Hip-Hop” line of thinking is to stick with your verse and take the L because Kendrick's verse was epic and everyone needs to hear it regardless of the fact you got murdered on your own sh-t. The “Rap” school of thought is that Big Sean's Hall Of Fame album drops in two weeks and this doesn't help him sell more records or raise anticipation for his project in any way, shape or form. If anything, it makes it seem like even when he brings his A game he can't hang with Kendrick Lamar. It also makes heads wonder if he got bodied that badly and it's his song then why'd he release it? The current level of competition in major label rap is pretty low to begin with and being on the low part of the G.O.O.D. Music totem pole doesn't help him with fans of lyricism. That would mean the leak would backfire on him but elevate Kendrick.

I looked at the song from the “Hip-Hop” perspective when I initially heard it and Kendrick's verse especially stood out because it was initially recorded with the intent to be released on a major label album where they don't rap like that anymore. In the modern major label Rap game, MCs don't call out their peers anymore so Kendrick benefited from the shock factor as well. He brought the major label rap game back to a place where it used to be, even for only about 3 minutes but it happened nonetheless. On the other hand, in the underground that still happens so it wasn't something that was unheard of or even unprecedented. This brings us to another point, the perception of the individual listener.

If you listen to mostly Rap music that is of the mainstream variety then more than likely this verse was earth shattering and ground breaking as opposed to just extremely dope, like myself due to the fact I regularly hear verses that are comparable to Kendrick's week in and week out. In my opinion, it's comparable to the Ritz Cracker Theory Eddie Murphy first proposed in his Raw stand up act. A starving man is giving a saltine cracker but it tastes like a Ritz because he hasn't eaten in so long. He then raves about how great that cracker was. Since major label rap has the bar set so low an excellent verse instantly sounds like a contender for GOAT status. Meanwhile, there are those that see it for what it was: an excellent rap verse where or when you typically wouldn't expect to hear one.

Furthermore, if you have a wider array of classic Hip-Hop verses to draw from or use as reference or benchmarks you'll either agree that it was a dope verse or you may not be all that impressed at all. If you come from an era where Kool G Rap spit “Poison” (which was considered just one of many incredible tracks back then) then you'd shrug your shoulders and recall when Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Ice Cube, LL Cool J, MC Ren, The D.O.C. and more used to regularly drop comparable verses. In this present day major label Rap industry landscape verses that give you the same feeling we experienced regularly back in previous eras are few and far between. All of these things factor into the collective reaction to Kendrick's verse on “Control”.

Hearing everyone's reaction to said bars exposed a few more issues we really need to address amongst Rap writers and Hip-Hop journalists as well. There are those of us that are exposed to a better quality of Rap music due to the fact we routinely cover the underground/indie Hip-Hop scene versus our peers that cover strictly the mainstream side of things.

Since both sides overwhelmingly agree that Kendrick Lamar calling out the names of several of his peers and contemporaries on record in the spirit of competition and raising the bar are they now going to make a concerted effort to write about or feature more rap that's comparable to Kendrick's “Control” verse? In addition, are they willing to hold themselves up to the same standards that Kendrick espoused on the aforementioned track? Will they be adamant that their blogging or journalist peers raise the bar as well or will they turn a blind eye to lackluster blogging and lazy writing/reporting? Not doing so is nothing short of hypocrisy in my personal opinion.

How can you be all for Kendrick Lamar's lyrical and competitive approach to his verse on “Control” and the excitement that came with it, but then go right back to writing about more watered down, passionless mediocre music? It's beyond me. This is why “Hip-Hop” vs. “Rap” rears its head yet again. Fans/listeners, artists/participants and journalists/writers/bloggers alike all have different music backgrounds or frames of reference that shape how we all individually process the music we hear and how we view or interpret it.

If you were born in the mid to late 60's or early to mid 70's then you have a much broader palette of Hip-Hop music to draw from. For example, you actually remember the Golden Eras (1986-89 & 1992-96) and the subsequent fallout post the signing of the Telecommunications Act Of 1996 that led to the split between the major label/mainstream Rap industry and the indie/underground Hip-Hop industry sometime in 1997. Whereas they were once two sides of the same coin they've become two separate and unequal entities that rarely (but sometimes) have to share space. It's a frustrating state of affairs I refer to as Hip-Hop Apartheid or Rap Jim Crow.

You may have been born later and your childhood could be full of fond memories of No Limit Records, Cash Money Records, Timbaland, The Neptunes, Swizz Beatz and Mannie Fresh dominating the airwaves. You probably didn't hear Enter The  Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) until 1999. Your introduction to Nas could've been I Am or Nastradamus and since you weren't around to hear Illmatic when it was first released in 1994 you have no idea that it wasn't some of Nas' best work.

Moreover, there was nothing wrong with Rap music at all to you because it was always this way. Rawkus, Solesides and Fondle ‘Em would go undiscovered until later after Solesides became Quannum Projects and Rawkus and Fondle ‘Em both folded and birthed Def Jux. That's assuming you ever discovered them at all…

We have those that listen to Rap and even write about it who missed J Dilla's entire career. This is only an issue if said person didn't go back to research or listen to Rap/Hip-Hop of every era, region, style and aesthetic. This becomes especially problematic when we ask those who don't have a wide breadth of knowledge to provide commentary on Rap music or compose lists as they're doomed to be inaccurate or contain embarrassing and glaring omissions. If these are the people that run most of the popular Rap websites, are considered the tastemakers or comprise the majority of the listening audience then there's no surprise that Kendrick Lamar's “Control” verse had that impact it did on people.

Those of us that are purveyors of indie/underground Hip-Hop are pretty cynical towards the possibility of anything actually changing in the mainstream Rap world because of one really good rap verse. If those that cover the mainstream Rap world have been maintaining the status quo for this long than it'll take much more than a verse from an unreleased song to finally change things. When it's all said and done, some mediocre rapper is going to drop some lackluster album that all of these same mainstream Rap sites will promote as they continue to ignore the MCs that spit verses comparable to the same exact one they all flipped over less than a week ago.

We “Hip-Hop” cats are annoyed at the “Rap” folks that claim that Kendrick's “Control” bars woke up Hip-Hop. What they did do was incite a huge reaction within the mainstream Rap world, meanwhile the global culture of Hip-Hop which contains the disciplines of DJ'ing, Graf writing, B-Boying AND Emceeing was largely unchanged or unaffected since Hip-Hop is about more than Rap. In this era, folks tend to jump to conclusions and make ridiculous declarations they won't stand behind next week.

In conclusion, Kendrick's verse was a great event for “Rap” since it was a rare glimpse into the past that reminded some of us when Rap was actually still influenced by “Hip-Hop” culture. It simultaneously gave others an idea of what we experienced regularly at one point in time beginning back when most current Rap bloggers were still in diapers. We “Hip-Hop” followers and reporters also wish that many of the indie/underground MCs that we listen to regularly were able to compete with Kendrick on the major label stage so there could be real change as opposed to more empty praise and posts of “Control” versions and supporting struggle rappers like 2 Chainz or French Montana strictly because they're hot, topical and ensure unique page views and drives up site traffic which in turn results in more ad revenue.

Call me when some real change finally takes place in the mainstream Rap because “Rap” is something you DO. "Hip-Hop” is something you LIVE [emoji]169[/emoji] KRS One

Last edited:
This was the class Kendrick came out in
freshmen-inside.jpg

And KRS ONE( one of the TRUE GOATS) take on the whole verse
http://hiphopwired.com/2013/08/17/hip-hop-vs-rap-krs-one-a-take-on-kendrick-lamars-control-verse/

ooooh so that's what Cyhi Da Prynce looks like :lol:. KL, KRIT, Yelawolf :pimp: Mac miller & Cyhi alright. Meh or LOL to the rest

This was the class Kendrick came out in
freshmen-inside.jpg
And KRS ONE( one of the TRUE GOATS) take on the whole verse
http://hiphopwired.com/2013/08/17/hip-hop-vs-rap-krs-one-a-take-on-kendrick-lamars-control-verse/

View media item 544447"Run That Backpack, I'ma Run These Streets"

:rofl:

Ure comparing verses n songs. Then one verse to one song. Body of work I think they're on par. K dot is just more 'hip hop' however, lyrical content, clever bars, beat choice, etc. I think they are on par with each other, except ASAP might be... That hurts his stance.

Lol I feel you. ASAP is sus. F both of em. Currensy is my favorite rapper. Lol

Back
Top Bottom