big sean featuring kendrick lamar and jay electronica "no i.d" freestyle

Props to Kendrick for trying to raise the bar in hip hop BUT this dude only has two albums out and he's grouping himself with Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, and Andre 3000 as the best MC? :rofl:

IMO there are so many other rappers that have proved themselves over the years that deserve to be grouped with those guys over Kendrick.

Just because you're the rookie of the year one year and MVP the next year doesn't mean you're in the hall of fame :smh:

Welp... the fact that he shut the internet down with one verse and has rappers running to prove themselves to him is arguably legendary status.
Dudes have to admit, whether you like KL or not people obviously care about his opinion as if they see him as a legend/future legend. Not too many dudes can cause this much uproar.

I'm wondering why are you worried about New York when you're from Houston

You should be worried about Kirko Bangz, Paul Wall, Slim Thug and Z-Ro

When's the last time Houston was hot? So why are you mentioning New York?

Your area is still Scarface and a group who wasn't from there
"Ask Bun B about me
This ain't no snap back, a ***** been trill"

Stop....even Jay needs verification from Texas...leave TX out of this convo. Its waaaaay to easy.

But.......the hottest new artist legitametely from NYC right now bit his ENTIRE style from Houston and the south though :lol: thats our point, south won...I'm not even from there but you have to admit.

Last edited:
Boys love an opportunity to hate on NY yet where are all these responses from everyone else?

are only ny rappers supposed to respond?

If lets say a young NY mc (Action Bronson) came with some sort of response would it really sway any of you or put an end to some of this stupid **** said in here? NOPE

I already stated i dont think there is much anyone can say. Dude is young, he spits, hes got commercial success, it was the perfect storm and a great power move but even if someone out raps him they'd have to have the same platform or its automatically written off.(LOS!!!!)

the only responses that'd be deemed worthy would be Drake or Cole maybe KRIT and Push

Boys in here begging for responses from NY cats for what? so you can say it wasnt good enough.

I'm sure the facts of what i said will be ignored and countered with oh you're salty,

but I'm not and would be the first to tell you NY rappers BEEN slacking and jacking,

all in all I applaud the young boy's genius move and anything that gets dudes back to spittin fire instead of taking pics with each other is only a plus in my book.

Trust me NYCers know the NY rap aint what it used to be. It will never that way again. The lyrical stuff doesn't sell as well. And when some do spit some lyrical stuff no one listens.

EDIT: IMO gentrification of NYC may be reason. The lifestyle of NY isn't that of the 90s or 80s. Things done changed.
Thats even more the point of this verse. LYRICS DO SELL. Kendrick is Platinum. We can't use that as an excuse no more. Artists just have to be way more creative with the craft in order to sell. A year before GKMC came out I sat in a room with Kendrick, Kevin Lyles & Don Lemon in ATX (SXSW) and heard Kendrick lay out this entire scheme of how he was going to come out and dominate blah blah. People looked at him like he was loco if they were not familiar with his work. I can honestly say that with the right plan lyrics CAN and WILL sell. He set out to prove it and followed through. I watched him step by step.

:lol:, Still ducking and dodging.

Miss me with all that nonsense. I see a lot of Knicks fans in Miami heat and Lakers threads... If we want to talk about irrelevance.

I care about MUSIC. So I can only listen to Wale cause he's from DC? How do you even sound right now?

Thats you and damn near every NY cats thing. "Oh we set in stone, we started this ****, we the blah blah blah blah blah blah blah mecca"

I'm not even going to quote my sports reference again. Either you read it or you didn't. But you sound like someone who has no real answer to my question, and is holding on to your "glory days" to answer.

That **** doesn't matter, and neither does me being from DC.

Music is music. The fact of the matter is, once Kendrick dropped that bomb on hip hop, a lot of irrelevant ****** from NY came out of the woodwork.

But you STILL ain't answer my question though. :lol:
Another stupid response...

Did you listen to the song?

"New ******, just new ******. Don't get involved"

Like I said. If it weren't for Jay and Nas, ya'll wouldn't have anything to hold on to. Jay and Nas are both two of my favorite rappers, but Kendrick ain't direct ANY of that song towards them.

So why ya'll keep bringing them up?

Cause thats all ya'll ****** got.

Maybe you think you were saying more than you were.

Maybe you don't understand that the swag and confidence that comes from a New Yorker isn't because it's of rap, it's because you're from New York, the World's Capital.

People outside of New York seem to care about "New York" rap more than us. As if we sit around and cry about New York rap. And rappers all rap with the desire to be KONY.

Does it matter who else does jazz, what area is given credit.

Kendrick is hotter than any current new age New York rapper...what does that mean at the moment? Jay-Z is hotter than anybody period, not named Oprah and Obama, but wait, I can't include him. Were people giving credit to DMX and 50 as the KONY or rap? They were hotter than everyone.

Eli Manning is the best QB, besides Brady, Manning and Brees. Who even has that argument? So you want me to make sense out of an argument that doesn't make sense in the first place?

Nah, can't agree on that last line man, NY just going to ride the coattails of Jay Nas, BIG, The Wu, etc for the next 15 yrs and it'll be cool with you? If the Yankees never won for the next 15 yrs and didn't make the playoffs all but one or two odd seasons they wouldn't feel the heat? Cowboys get clowned CONSTANTLY they have one playoff win the last 15 yrs but they've got immense history. You have to keep being great or fade into the past, thats with anything. Companies become ancient and pretty obsolete without innovation.

Do you care where your R&B or jazz comes from?

Every music genre gets beyond a region, and morphs in to one.

Rap is just in a state of arrested development and that's why it's so slow to evolve like other genres.

@meekmillraplike

#dead

i really thought it was only a #, but they went and created a twitter handle too.

following for the lulz
roll.gif

Boys love an opportunity to hate on NY yet where are all these responses from everyone else?

are only ny rappers supposed to respond?

If lets say a young NY mc (Action Bronson) came with some sort of response would it really sway any of you or put an end to some of this stupid **** said in here? NOPE

I already stated i dont think there is much anyone can say. Dude is young, he spits, hes got commercial success, it was the perfect storm and a great power move but even if someone out raps him they'd have to have the same platform or its automatically written off.(LOS!!!!)

the only responses that'd be deemed worthy would be Drake or Cole maybe KRIT and Push

Boys in here begging for responses from NY cats for what? so you can say it wasnt good enough.

I'm sure the facts of what i said will be ignored and countered with oh you're salty,

but I'm not and would be the first to tell you NY rappers BEEN slacking and jacking,

all in all I applaud the young boy's genius move and anything that gets dudes back to spittin fire instead of taking pics with each other is only a plus in my book.

And dudes turned it in to New York, when it was a metaphor for being the son of Biggie and Pac and the best coast to coast...but I digress

But where is this demand for the other regions?

But.......the hottest new artist legitametely from NYC right now bit his ENTIRE style from Houston and the south though
laugh.gif
thats our point, south won...I'm not even from there but you have to admit.
Thank You. The crazy thing is ASAP bit the culture we were actually living 10-20 yrs ago. Still talking bout "Coming down and Swanging"...we been off that. We currently setting the trend for the next decade. Y'all welcome.

Trust me NYCers know the NY rap aint what it used to be. It will never that way again. The lyrical stuff doesn't sell as well. And when some do spit some lyrical stuff no one listens.

EDIT: IMO gentrification of NYC may be reason. The lifestyle of NY isn't that of the 90s or 80s. Things done changed.

Thats even more the point of this verse. LYRICS DO SELL. Kendrick is Platinum. We can't use that as an excuse no more. Artists just have to be way more creative with the craft in order to sell. A year before GKMC came out I sat in a room with Kendrick, Kevin Lyles & Don Lemon in ATX (SXSW) and heard Kendrick lay out this entire scheme of how he was going to come out and dominate blah blah. People looked at him like he was loco if they were not familiar with his work. I can honestly say that with the right plan lyrics CAN and WILL sell. He set out to prove it and followed through. I watched him step by step.

I don't think Kendrick is all that lyrical. It's his delivery. Think he said so on Section.80

If Kendrick is claiming KONY doesn't that mean NY won? Why would I man from the other side of the country want to be king here? Because it actually means something. He could have called himself King of any other region and no one would care.

No....it means NY won several yrs ago and is so firmly entrenched in the culture of Hip Hop that it still holds significance, despite there not being a hot artist even on Kendricks level from the supposed mecca in like 10 yrs. NY cant claim its vast history with Jay and Nas expect to be called the best, then move the goal posts when people call out the hip hop coming from there and say "well if we're irrelevant why do yall care"? Pick a stance :lol:

How are other regions dead when you had to come follow whats so called dead to get back on the radar?
mean.gif

Save that non sense man. Jay rapping on Trap **** in 2013 to stay relevant. C'mon now...You sir are just salty.

Now this is nonsense. You don't even believe this ********.

Ummm more recent than NY...

When?

When were Chamillionare, Lil Flip and Slim Thug considered top at anything?

Hell TI came out saying he was King of The South from day one :rofl:

Thank You. The crazy thing is ASAP bit the culture we were actually living 10-20 yrs ago. Still talking bout "Coming down and Swanging"...we been off that. We currently setting the trend for the next decade. Y'all welcome.

Rocky has more fans outside of New York

I wanna hear some **** from the following ppl:

Styles + jada

Budden

Nas

Royce

Action Bronson

Roc Marciano

Joey badass

Kinda wanna hear something from deck, Raekwon and ghost

Still feel like busta could do a lil something

Killa

Wish Kane or rakim would spit something just for this
No one on this list except Budden has the skill present day to match Kendrick. You betta have a Delorean or something to hop through time and grab each of these artists in their prime and then we'll have a convo. You must be from NY...I feel the saltiness with each keystroke
laugh.gif

You mean to tell me Jada and Styles wouldn't mop KDot up if they had too? Nas wouldn't Ether KDot if he had too?

Some dudes in here holding KDot on an unreachable mountain top that he hasn't even earned yet. It's all about longevity at the end of the day. Hip Hop is starving for someone to step up and carry the torch. If Kendrick can't maintain the position he's in right now for an extended period of time like a Nas, Jada, etc .. then all the name dropping he did on this verse was IRRELEVANT.

A couple of good mixtapes and a decent album will push you to the top of this industry overnight because like Lupe said, the bar is set so low. Hip Hop/Rap is watered down right now, you have a few good MCs that stand out but the competition is nothing like what it was in the 90s. Dudes couldn't take any days off back then, there was so much HEAT coming out of NY, CA, ATL, H-Town, Chi-Town, there was no time to put your pen down. .

:lol:, Still ducking and dodging.

Miss me with all that nonsense. I see a lot of Knicks fans in Miami heat and Lakers threads... If we want to talk about irrelevance.

I care about MUSIC. So I can only listen to Wale cause he's from DC? How do you even sound right now?

Thats you and damn near every NY cats thing. "Oh we set in stone, we started this ****, we the blah blah blah blah blah blah blah mecca"

I'm not even going to quote my sports reference again. Either you read it or you didn't. But you sound like someone who has no real answer to my question, and is holding on to your "glory days" to answer.

That **** doesn't matter, and neither does me being from DC.

Music is music. The fact of the matter is, once Kendrick dropped that bomb on hip hop, a lot of irrelevant ****** from NY came out of the woodwork.

But you STILL ain't answer my question though. :lol:
Another stupid response...

Did you listen to the song?

"New ******, just new ******. Don't get involved"

Like I said. If it weren't for Jay and Nas, ya'll wouldn't have anything to hold on to. Jay and Nas are both two of my favorite rappers, but Kendrick ain't direct ANY of that song towards them.

So why ya'll keep bringing them up?

Cause thats all ya'll ****** got.

:lol: you got it buddy...

If Kendrick is claiming KONY doesn't that mean NY won? Why would I man from the other side of the country want to be king here? Because it actually means something. He could have called himself King of any other region and no one would care.

Been said this. NY's the Mecca of lyrical MC's. Claiming KONY is claiming best lyricist (of this new generation) - (Although he really just meant offspring of Pac and BIG).

That doesn't mean he's better than the vets, because cats like Nas, Royce, and Black Thought can easily hang and outshine K.Dot on any given track.

Last edited:
Welp... the fact that he shut the internet down with one verse and has rappers running to prove themselves to him is arguably legendary status.
Dudes have to admit, whether you like KL or not people obviously care about his opinion as if they see him as a legend/future legend. Not too many dudes can cause this much uproar.
I mean without the internet I don't think this would have been as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. But hey, we are in the information/computer/social media age where EVERYONE has to let their opinion/actions be known. I'm not saying this isn't a big deal, because it is, but people are ODing with it.

I really like Kendrick and I do see him as a future legend but I think he was a little pompous grouping himself with those guys at this point in his career.

It amazes me how people can misinterpret things and carry on an argument/discussion when the point they are trying to make doesn't even matter.  I say that to the folks both here in the Music Forum and rappers that misinterpreted that KONY line.  It's like dudes don't have the basic fundamental skills to be able to understand things, or break things down.  It's quite sad.

Not sure what Lupe was thinking with that response, but then again Lupe hasn't been thinking too clearly these last few years anway so what else is new. 

Big K.R.I.T. works his *** off and hands down has one of the best mixtapes to drop this year that HE produced himself. K.R.I.T. is slept on because he's from the south, but he will lyrically rap circles around your favorite rappers. He's more well rounded than Kendrick, he brings more to the table from a musical standpoint if you ask me. He just hasn't found that commercial hit nor does he have the same support system that Kendrick has (Dr.Dre) .. Once he does, watch out. I wish someone like Bun B/Scarface/Dre3000 would take him under the wing, he has all the potential in the world to be the voice of the South for years to come :smokin

I agree with all you said about Krit but don't see what Bun, Face or 3K would do for him to get his music out.

3K had killa mike who was a beast and didn't even push him.

Nah Memph, I meant take him under the wing, show him the ropes, use some of their resources like what Dre is doing for Kendrick.

Killa Mike is my dude, I was banging Run the Jewels and RAP Music on the way to work this morning :pimp:

I'm glad PRIME saved me a good amount of time on the post about Houston's style.

Also, rappers down here live lIke kings since they never stop grinding even when the spotlight is away from them, and also consistently support each other and letting beef take a backseat. While NY is crabs in a bucket 24/7, only supporting each other out of desparation or when its too late (ex: GUnit/DBlock/Dipset collabos now instead of 06/07, when everybody was still on the radar) So Bun, Cham, Slim Thug and Trae ain't worried bout nothin.

Last edited:
It amazes me how people can misinterpret things and carry on an argument/discussion when the point they are trying to make doesn't even matter.  I say that to the folks both here in the Music Forum and rappers that misinterpreted that KONY line.  It's like dudes don't have the basic fundamental skills to be able to understand things, or break things down.  It's quite sad.
thats because being the kony > king of the world :lol:

SMH so the past 10 pages are people trying to call NYC irrelevant with the same dumbass points.

This man is going to say that houston has a bigger impact on hip-hop than NYC :rofl: :rofl:
the supposed Mecca... So i guess very ARTIST, MEDIA CENTER, WRITER, & Prominent hiphop figures are lying

NYC have no relevant artist right now.... As long as you don't mention Two of the Best artist out right now.
None of the new cats are popping right now... Kendrick & his camp are tied in with rocky and his camp.

Her's the thing it's not like NYC is claiming Rakim and KRS we are claiming Jay & Nas because there STILL putting out good music.. because there still bodying artist out today... and ***** ain't you from philly your biggest artist made a blog reaction, dropped a hype williams video and acted as if his name wasn't called. YOUR IN THE WORST position to comment on NYC fam.

And are we back on this Houston/A$AP thing again G. Purple swag was two ****** years ago... ****** Problems, Wild For the Night, suddenly, 1train, Goldie..... NOTHING on his album sounds like houston.

the same ****** who claim rocky & french bit the south... are the same ones to say the south is running the game when some of the Biggest artist (Wayne, T.I, Cole) HAVE RIPPED their entire life from NYC. **** cole has a song dedicated to Nas, & one dedicated to NYC on the same album :rofl:

the hottest ***** from houston right now is Kirko bangz and you wanna poke your chest out at NYC... ***** go drown in some lean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom