Birth of a Nation sounds INSANE. vol. Nat Turner Slave Rebellion Movie (Teaser Trailer - p. 5)

I used to work at a movie theater a few years back. There is no ticket selling scam to lower the sales of black movies. The **** just bombed. Accept it.

I had never heard of that theory before. I actually save my stubs to certain movies and I've never had that happen.

Dudes gotta be real grimey to do some ish like that in todays day and age.
In fact most spots it would be hard to do that because theaters use more assigned seating.

I used to work at a movie theater a few years back. There is no ticket selling scam to lower the sales of black movies. The **** just bombed. Accept it.

yeah especially now when u go to theaters they do extra ish like reserve seating.

Gabrielle Union being in there should've clued me in everything i had to known already...glad she aint say a word :lol:

Academy turnout for 'Birth of a Nation' mirrors box office — disappointing

"The Birth of a Nation," Nate Parker's slave revolt historical drama, screened for academy members Sunday. (Jahi Chikwendiu / Fox Searchlight)
Glenn Whipp
Moviegoers weren’t the only ones ignoring “The Birth of a Nation” this weekend.

The motion picture academy screening of Nate Parker’s slave revolt historical drama, which opened to a flat $7.1 million at the box office, was about at one-quarter capacity Sunday, with Oscar voters and their guests filling about 250 of the academy’s Samuel L. Goldwyn Theater’s 1,000 seats.

The low turnout wasn’t particularly surprising. Throughout the week, many academy members told The Times they had no plans on seeing “Birth” on Sunday — or any time in the future. The reasons offered ranged from distaste over the details of Parker’s 1999 rape case, disdain for how Parker answered questions about his past while promoting the movie, and a general fatigue with movies about slavery. (Remember: Many academy members never bothered to see 2014 best picture winner “12 Years a Slave,” though some still voted for it anyway.)

Sunday’s shunning of “Birth” also signals the lingering resentment many academy members feel over January’s #OscarSoWhite controversy, when voters were criticized for nominating an all-white slate of acting nominees for a second consecutive year. The academy’s immediate pledge to diversify and broaden its membership angered many voters who believed the timing of the response implied that their balloting had racist undertones.

While all this was happening, “Birth,” a historical drama about Nat Turner’s 1831 slave rebellion, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. The passion project — for which Parker served as star, director and co-writer — was hailed as an immediate Oscar front-runner and a near-lock guarantee that the 2017 Oscars wouldn’t be so white.

“Basically, the movie was anointed out of Sundance with the media telling us that if we didn’t vote for it, we would be again be considered racist,” one academy member, a producer, says. “And all the hype seemed less about the quality of the movie itself, but the story behind it and the subject matter. I’m not buying it. And I’m not seeing it, either.”

Adds another Oscar voter, a member of the writers branch: “This guy ruined a woman’s life and then complains how hard it’s been for him. [Forget] him. There’s no way I’m going to support that.”

A “Birth” screening for New York-based academy members earlier last week at the Museum of Modern Art produced an “OK” response, according to sources close to the film. Those attending Sunday’s screening in Beverly Hills gave the movie tepid applause after it ended. Most left before a Q&A with Parker, the cast and crew.

Amid the underwhelming box office and (initially) indifferent academy response, you could still find optimism — provided you’re a positive thinker. “12 Years a Slave,” also released by Fox Searchlight, drew only 600 or so people for its academy screening — and it was coming off stellar reviews from the Telluride and Toronto film festivals and wasn’t hampered by controversy.

And like “12 Years,” “Birth” has its share of fans. The movie did earn an A score from opening weekend audiences, per marketing research firm CinemaScore.

“I liked it very much,” says Sony Pictures Classics co-president Michael Barker, who saw the movie at Sundance. “I’m going to see it again. That’s what this academy says, OK?”

And at this point, Parker and Fox Searchlight will take good news wherever they can find it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...th-gold-standard-20161007-snap-story,amp.html

For all of you Tariq said people.... For the life of me I'm wondering why people use what he said like it's some sort of credible reference pint.

Did you see the movie? Was it packed? You wouldn't question the numbers.

And also, I haven't looked it up but is it also possible that it flopped because it shares the same title of one of the most racist movies in America. When I first heard the title I thought it was a remake and I was definitely scratching my head as to why someone would green light it.

To erase the original. When you google the name now, what comes up?

It was done intentionally.

And no one, not racist or younger than 70 has even seen that movie.

Last edited:
For all of you Tariq said people.... For the life of me I'm wondering why people use what he said like it's some sort of credible reference pint.

You do know the OG movie is on multiple Top 100 lists? Many film students and people that just enjoy movies have seen it. I saw it in my 11th grade film studies class.

Last edited:
Thought the movie was good for a first time director.

I think a more seasoned directer could have made a more powerful movie, or maybe he could have with at least a larger budget.

The way religion was used in the storyline was probably the most intriguing part. Movie makes you have to infer a lot of things too. That didnt bother me a lot but I can see how it would turn off other people.

Throughout all of this I never cared if this movie was going to do numbers or not. I was just pleased the story was coming out on the big screen and had buzz. I was actually surprised to see it presented as a flop in the media. I just didnt think it had the expectations of being a box off smash from the get go so it never crossed my mind to think about it "flopping."

You do know the OG movie is on multiple Top 100 lists? Many film students and people that just enjoy movies have seen it. I saw it in my 11th grade film studies class.
Moreso because of the effect it had on the country at that time. I don't think people call it a cinematic masterpiece.

It's a pretty niche film you only get to when you seek it out. Most people don't seek it out.

As far as using the title, I think he was more interested in having an impact and getting this little known story told than he was worried about making tons of cash. He already made his money by selling the film.
Throughout all of this I never cared if this movie was going to do numbers or not. I was just pleased the story was coming out on the big screen and had buzz. I was actually surprised to see it presented as a flop in the media. I just didnt think it had the expectations of being a box off smash from the get go so it never crossed my mind to think about it "flopping."
It wasn't. It's an R rated movie about Nat Turner's rebellion. Did the media really think it was going to do huge number in the second week of October.

It's just a lot more sensational to continue the rape story.

Last edited:

There were maybe 8 people in the theater I saw it in. Granted, it was a Sunday morning, but still, I've been to multiple packed shows at the same theater during Sunday matinee.

There were maybe 8 people in the theater I saw it in. Granted, it was a Sunday morning, but still, I've been to multiple packed shows at the same theater during Sunday matinee.

Exactly it wasn't half full when I saw it in the small theater.

It's only because of the time in which it was released. Would George Mikan be one of the 50 greatest in the NBA now?

They see it because they have to. Most people younger than 70 have never seen that movie, only heard of it.

And how many black people have seen it?

It's re-writing history.

The name isn't what's stopping people from seeing it.

And also, I haven't looked it up but is it also possible that it flopped because it shares the same title of one of the most racist movies in America. When I first heard the title I thought it was a remake and I was definitely scratching my head as to why someone would green light it.
Since I knew what it referred to, the name of the movie kind of felt corny and gimmicky as soon as I heard it. Like he was trying to get extra controversy and publicity from the name. Definitely should've taken a different route. If his ambition was to somehow outdo or erase the original Birth of a Nation from history, he should've known better because as a piece of craft, that film is widely recognized as one of the most important films ever by everyone from Jean-Luc Godard to Stanley Kubrick and Martin Scorsese.

Last edited:

Who took it for face value? People felt he was lying, I simply said, "Tariq claims........."

I read a bunch of stories of people saying theaters were switching movie tickets, but I haven't seen any proof. I looked for tickets late last Thursday because I was going to go to the Friday showing after work. All of the seats were still available. I go to a lot of movies on their release weekend and this never happened for something I wanted to see. I ended up seeing it yesterday at 11:45am and there were like 12 people in the theater. That 7 million number definitely seems true. Good movie overall and I told a bunch of people to check it out. The revolution should have been a lot longer after that build up, but I understand the budget the movie had. Sad that Tyler Perry's movie will likely gross more in the first week.

should've went da netflix route...and they were offering more money.

I thought Fox brought it from him for millions?

He already made his come - up, no?

fox gave him 17.5, netflix was offering 20 mill...

i would've took da 20, and be free of having any sort of "box office flop" stigma.

besides, Netflix releases are becoming less "b movie releases" and more a "millennials destination".

should've went da netflix route...and they were offering more money.
I thought Fox brought it from him for millions?

He already made his come - up, no?

i would've took da 20, and be free of having any sort of "box office flop" stigma.

besides, Netflix releases are becoming less "b movie releases" and more a "millennials destination".
Netflix offer = $20mm flat

FOX Searchlight = $17.5mm with potential cut of box office + major distribution

In hindsight, maybe he should've taken the $20mm, but seems like he wanted this to go really public.

Netflix offer = $20mm flat
FOX Searchlight = $17.5mm with potential cut of box office + major distribution

In hindsight, maybe he should've taken the $20mm, but seems like he wanted this to go really public.

Bingo. You get the rep.

It was more about the publicity of the movie. It's a shame this movie hasn't taken off the ground as many had hoped. Fox needed to do a better job getting the word out. Unfortunately, many people wont go to see a movie about a black guy killing a bunch of white people and no white protagonist.

Last edited:
I was more amazed at how they used Christianity and actually had a slave going around preaching that mess. :lol:

I think The Beat of No Nations route where this gets released in limited Theaters and then Netflix would have been good, but he and his investors may have not made any money on the back end.

Back
Top Bottom