Birth of a Nation sounds INSANE. vol. Nat Turner Slave Rebellion Movie (Teaser Trailer - p. 5)

What is the benefit of people switching tickets?

I mean were talking about some probable teenage, who couldnt care less about what movie you go see, all of a sudden being involved in this crazy conspiracy to ruin the movie.

Does that make any sense to you?

fox gave him 17.5, netflix was offering 20 mill...

i would've took da 20, and be free of having any sort of "box office flop" stigma.

besides, Netflix releases are becoming less "b movie releases" and more a "millennials destination".

I think The Beat of No Nations route where this gets released in limited Theaters and then Netflix would have been good, but he and his investors may have not made any money on the back end.

back end money is always a risk if da plane can't get off da ground...

For all of you Tariq said people.... For the life of me I'm wondering why people use what he said like it's some sort of credible reference pint.

Did you see the movie? Was it packed? You wouldn't question the numbers.
To erase the original. When you google the name now, what comes up?

It was done intentionally.

And no one, not racist or younger than 70 has even seen that movie.

You do know the OG movie is on multiple Top 100 lists? Many film students and people that just enjoy movies have seen it. I saw it in my 11th grade film studies class.
Yeah I saw that racist *** movie under similar circumstances but it is true this movie was purposely given the same title for the symbolic meaning given what Turner's story and revolt was about.

I dug that from the jump.

The name is not a deterrent.

should've went da netflix route...and they were offering more money.

I thought Fox brought it from him for millions?

He already made his come - up, no?

fox gave him 17.5, netflix was offering 20 mill...

i would've took da 20, and be free of having any sort of "box office flop" stigma.

besides, Netflix releases are becoming less "b movie releases" and more a "millennials destination".

Netflix offer = $20mm flat
FOX Searchlight = $17.5mm with potential cut of box office + major distribution

In hindsight, maybe he should've taken the $20mm, but seems like he wanted this to go really public.
He probably would've done that if the Academy was already nominating Netflix movies but they have not got there yet.

As I already said, personally hate got his money back whether it's 17 mil or 20 ain't the biggest differences. He gambled on those incentives which could be been huge if this movie just did decent. Cuz let's face it, these movies do not do blockbuster #s.

Last edited:
Just watched this and 13 on Netflix this morning. Yeah I'm in bad mood now. Seen some folks walk out the theater half way and 1 girl crying

For all of you Tariq said people.... For the life of me I'm wondering why people use what he said like it's some sort of credible reference pint.

What is the benefit of people switching tickets?

I mean were talking about some probable teenage, who couldnt care less about what movie you go see, all of a sudden being involved in this crazy conspiracy to ruin the movie.

Does that make any sense to you?

Here are some other ways movie theaters are actually sabotaging the success of the Birth of a Nation movie https://t.co/tKizJSVAV4

Conspiracy huh

Last edited:
Tariq talked about how he thinks it is BS that the film ONLY made 7 Million.

He said his Hidden Colors made half a million in just 30 theaters in a weekend.

He also says that there is a tcket selling hustle that "they" use when a black release happens where they sell you tickets to a different movie when you ask for the movie you actually want. I have to look more into that but I wouldn't put it past anyone.
Just saw a video in one of my HBCU groups on Facebook where this happened to a guy. He basically said he wanted to see Birth of a Nation, but they told him the show was sold out. Then they suggested that him and the other people he was with buy tickets for The Accountant, which he did. After buying the ticket he went into the Birth of A Nation booth & saw that there was only 4 people sitting in there & decided to have a nice talk with the manager while recording.

Edit: Matter of fact, here goes the video

Started to go watch this movie last week, but I had my mom & baby sis with me so we watched Madea Halloween instead, which was a really funny movie imo. Seems like today is the last day the movie will be shown in my local theater. They have it set for 4:25 pm, but I don't get off work til 5 which means I'll have to wait for the movie to hit YouTube smh.

Last edited:
But you have dudes in here that think it is SO far fetched that the powers that be didn't have a "hit" out on this film. Clear as day

I mean that's all well and good but I'm wondering how was FOX left out the loop (FOX Searchlight, the studio, purchased the movie)? Or were they conspired against too?

Like is this a mass conspiracy/agenda or more localized.

Or are y'all saying it goes so far that FOX was willing to lose a cool 17+ mil cuz that aint nothing to them and at the end of the day that was worth suppressing a black made, black focused, historically based film? :nerd:

Last edited:
My thinking is local theater managers that didn't like the idea of the movie took it upon themselves at some theaters and knew they could probably get away with it for various reasons. I don't think Fox gave out sabotage instructions.

Last edited:
I mean that's all well and good but I'm wondering how was FOX left out the loop (FOX Searchlight, the studio, purchased the movie)? Or were they conspired against too?

Or are y'all saying it goes so far that FOX was willing to lose a cool 17+ mil cuz that aint nothing to them and at the end of the day that was worth suppressing a black made, black focused, historically based film? :nerd:

Best way to get away with a crime is to not make it look like a crime

Best way to get away with a crime is to not make it look like a crime
Again that's cool but I'm talking about the potential politics of this conspiracy and if not a conspiracy are these just random individual racist/white supremacists who all got the same idea?

Is this a massive organized effort? Or not?

Did you see the movie? Was it packed? You wouldn't question the numbers.

To erase the original. When you google the name now, what comes up?

It was done intentionally.

And no one, not racist or younger than 70 has even seen that movie.

You do know the OG movie is on multiple Top 100 lists? Many film students and people that just enjoy movies have seen it. I saw it in my 11th grade film studies class.
Moreso because of the effect it had on the country at that time. I don't think people call it a cinematic masterpiece.

It's a pretty niche film you only get to when you seek it out. Most people don't seek it out.

definitely not a film most would see by accident but to the contrary, the abhorrent nature of its subject matter aside, it was in the context of its time considered a cinematic masterpiece; its affect, while decidedly negative, is separate from the techniques employed in its making & the effect it had on filmmaking thereafter...

Again that's cool but I'm talking about the potential politics of this conspiracy and if not a conspiracy are these just random individual racist/white supremacists who all got the same idea?

It only takes one, my G.

I went and saw this alone this past Sunday. Definitely enjoyed the film. Loved how they showed the bible being introduced to slaves. A definite tool used to keep slaves in check and to obey their slave master. One of the many reasons why I personally don't believe in the bible.

I can't explain it honestly.

I am willing to go with your last proposal though.

It is wild any way you look at it man

It only takes one, my G.
One what? :lol:

One person? One group? One what?

I'm calling bull **** if you telling me one person organized and executed a sabotage on a feature film. Like that's a bit insulting to groups of hundreds Who try to do something and fail.

The replies in getting just seems y'all throwing stuff out there but don't got no real answers.

Great movie.

I don't give a **** what people say about it flopping. This was a independent movie that Nate pretty much did on his own, this wasn't no flop. Meanwhile these big budget Hollywood movies flopping left and right.

They wasn't gonna let a Nat Turner movie come out w/o tryna shoot it down. People were telling him he should do a movie about Free Jones State instead and he should have some "good" white people in the movie. :lol: They was gonna do everything in their power to sabotage this movie and they did. But that **** don't matter in the big picture. The movie was made, the story was told. Nate Parker did his thing.

Last edited:
Great movie.

I don't give a **** what people say about it flopping. This was a independent movie that Nate pretty much did on his own, this wasn't no flop. Meanwhile these big budget Hollywood movies flopping left and right.

They wasn't gonna let a Nat Turner movie come out w/o tryna shoot it down. People were telling him he should do a movie about Free Jones State instead and he should have some "good" white people in the movie. :lol: They was gonna do everything in their power to sabotage this movie and they did. But that **** don't matter in the big picture. The movie was made, the story was told. Nate Parker did his thing.

View media item 2196023

Haven't gotten to see it yet (I will sometime this week) but I find it hilarious all the negative review are from white critics :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom