Black Culture Discussion Thread

Anecdotally I have never seen a Black person here in the US with bleached skin and noticed.

Cant speak for the Africans / Afro-Caribbean folks but we don't get down like that.

From what I can see in the images, it's not exactly hard to miss - especially in person.

Not so anecdotally, NIH had this to say:

While much of the focus on the ramifications of skin bleaching has centered on Africans and African immigrant communities abroad, this topic has not gained much attention among clinical and translational researchers in the United States (US) beyond investigations of Hg-poisoning-related outbreaks resulting from skin bleaching products [27, 31, 32]. Yet, there is little evidence to suggest that skin bleaching is not practiced by African and Afro-Caribbean populations in the US. For example, in New York City (NYC), elevated urine Hg concentrations among Caribbean-born blacks and Dominicans were linked with skin lightening product use [14]. Nationally, state and local health departments have issued multiple advisories and/or initiated public health campaigns to educate consumers about harmful levels of Hg in skin bleaching products [3336].

It's not a big thing in the US among Black folks so not sure why Vice felt the need to assemble this cast of goofballs to talk about it.

Then again - it probably gets clicks / here we are discussing it so there's that.

Either way:

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

Its just as prevalent in the U.S. I think it just doesnt get talked about as much, more taboo and its done with a little more taste. African Americans may know when its time to chill. Other cultures just keep going until they look like sosa. :lol:

"Skin bleaching is just as prevalent in America as it is everywhere else. In the United States, we hide under political correctness, so people aren't going to be as open about it. We don't have billboards here because the FDA has some level of enforcement of what can be advertised.

I think other countries are just more open and shameless about it. Lol

Black solidarity really is a myth. After the Kaepernick situation, all this talk about boycotting the NFL went out the window. Black folk happily performing at half time to secure the bag and boost their brand in multiple superbowls etc.

I dont think the NFL was outright cancelled by black folks. Im not a fan of the shield, but black people not giving up no damn NFL you crazy

I dont think the NFL was outright cancelled by black folks. Im not a fan of the shield, but black people not giving up no damn NFL you crazy
The NFL is just all around trash; it's not limited to how they treat Black folks.

Despite Tillman family's request to not use his likelihood in their ****, they keep using his name for propaganda ad purposes.

Sanders also joined "The Rich Eisen Show," and his comments regarding what he looks for in recruits were illuminating. "Well, we have different attributes. Smart, tough, fast, disciplined with character. Now, quarterbacks are different," Sanders told Eisen last week. "We want mother, father. Dual parent. We want that kid to be 3.5 [GPA] and up. Because he has to be smart. Not bad decisions off the field, at all. Because he has to be a leader of men.

Sanders said he looks for similar attributes in offensive linemen, but his criteria are different for the defensive side of the football.

"Defensive linemen is totally opposite. Single mama, trying to get it, he’s on free lunch," Sanders continued. "I’m talking about just trying to make it. He’s trying to rescue mama. Like mama barely made the flight. And I want him to just go get it."

That's such a terrible mindset to have.

That's such a terrible mindset to have.

Doesn't sound like a mindset at all.

Sounds like lived experience.

"Sanders was born in Fort Myers, Florida, to Connie Sanders and Mims Sanders. His parents divorced when Sanders was two years old. Sanders was raised by his mother and her new husband, Willie Knight, whom Sanders credits with being influential in his life. He attended North Fort Myers High School, and was a letterman and All-State honoree in football, basketball and baseball. In 1985, Sanders was named to the Florida High School Association All-Century Team which selected the top 33 players in the 100-year history of high school football in the state.

The Kansas City Royals selected Sanders out of North Fort Myers High School in the sixth round of the 1985 Major League Baseball draft. However, he did not sign with the Royals."

More factual than terrible IMHO. Not only did he live it in his personal life but spent his whole life doing what he's talking about.

I give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's talking about and trying to get the best out of these young men regardless of their backstories.

"We’re not recruiting just no ordinary Tom, **** and Harry," Sanders said. "We recruited some guys that can light up the scoreboard and prevent touchdowns from occurring. We’re coming. We’re serious about that."

I definitely can't argue against the results of his leadership.

He's basically saying he needs the right tools for the right job.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a mindset at all.

Sounds like lived experience.

"Sanders was born in Fort Myers, Florida, to Connie Sanders and Mims Sanders. His parents divorced when Sanders was two years old. Sanders was raised by his mother and her new husband, Willie Knight, whom Sanders credits with being influential in his life. He attended North Fort Myers High School, and was a letterman and All-State honoree in football, basketball and baseball. In 1985, Sanders was named to the Florida High School Association All-Century Team which selected the top 33 players in the 100-year history of high school football in the state.

The Kansas City Royals selected Sanders out of North Fort Myers High School in the sixth round of the 1985 Major League Baseball draft. However, he did not sign with the Royals."

More factual than terrible IMHO. Not only did he live it in his personal life but spent his whole life doing what he's talking about.

I give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's talking about and trying to get the best out of these young men regardless of their backstories.

"We’re not recruiting just no ordinary Tom, **** and Harry," Sanders said. "We recruited some guys that can light up the scoreboard and prevent touchdowns from occurring. We’re coming. We’re serious about that."

I definitely can't argue against the results of his leadership.

He's basically saying he needs the right tools for the right job.

You know this PC world hates when someone keeps it real. No one complains when jobs stereotype….

William Spiegels application would get considered, before a guy named Tyquan Johnson. People not gone talk about it though….

This world always in will forever be judgmental

I remember Pat Summitt saying that she preferred to recruit players from single mother households.

One Pat Summitt plum of wisdom that had a big impact on my thinking, which I also share with my sports psychology class every semester, is how she preferred to recruit women who were raised in a single parent household. Summitt used this as a recruiting criterion because she believed children from single parent families were much more resilient. Put simply, life in a single family household is usually a bit tougher than in a two parent household. This resiliency translates to the basketball court by being able to handle bad breaks better, being able to deal with greater responsibility and being more secure with failure. This recruiting strategy seemed to work given her amazing record.

Yea EYE wouldn't have been sitting up in front of a reporter SAYING those things; especially using some of the words he used.

But many coaches feel that way.

Coaches want tough players. They want resilient players. Generally speaking, the idea is the more you grow up with, the less you know about overcoming struggle.

So it isn't a horrible mindset to have by any stretch.

Of course you have to look at the whole individual and not JUST whether or not they had 2 parents.

Of course you have to look at the whole individual and not JUST whether or not they had 2 parents.

Again, nowhere near a wild mindset to have.

But Of course, it's from a Rogan podcast so immediately dismiss what's being said.

He didn't just talk about resilience. He also talked about being smart and risk-averse, and his approach to figuring out which player would exhibit which characteristics is reminiscent of the adjectives sports commentators used to use to describe white and black players: cerebral, high football/basketball/soccer IQ, tactical, coach-on-the-field/court/pitch vs athletic, explosive, freak-of-nature, etc...

Just because every coach does it doesn't mean it's right.

Not to mention that resilience and grit manifest themselves in many ways that are not always related to one's socioeconomic background.

You must’ve forgot, we live in a society where all kids are supposed to get first place trophies….

Not just that but you are telling a dude that has a track record of being a great recruiter that his "mindset" is terrible.

Everything ain't gotta be think pieced nor does everything have to be viewed as right or wrong.

It works for him. It works for others.

Nobody gives a damn if it's right or wrong. Either way someone's child is getting a free ride. What a shame.

Back
Top Bottom