Black Culture Discussion Thread

He said, "highest since 1980."

The percentage of black two-parent households was higher in the 70s, but the 70s also coincide with the start of the war on drugs, which played a significant role in the decrease of percent of black two-parent households. The war on drugs was racially motivated.

Unnecessary post. What are you disagreeing about? 1980-2023 is roughly 40 years no? Go reread my post cause I didn't disagree about his point on the war on drugs.

"Highest since 1980" vs "highest" makes a difference in the meaning of his comment.
I still don't understand what you're mucking about. I thought it was clear that we were talking about said time frame. My point is simply staying that it's still low.

The % of Black children living in two parent households is the highest it’s been since 1980 and it’s been trending up the last 10 years.

Guess what happened in the late 70s?
Mass incarceration. Which is a result of systemic racism. They’re inextricably linked.

7 out 10 BLACK children are born out of wedlock, thus in single parent households. That’s a so called “winning percentage” in the 30% percentile or slightly higher………..which is failing. That doesn’t even include black teenager pregnancy which is on the rise. We have more baby mama’s in the black community than we do wives. All of which has nothing to do with systemic racism.

Last edited:

I really really do wish this narrative would ****ing stop!!! For the last time BS junk food is just as pricey if not more pricey than fruits & vegetables.

Everytime people try to call out harmful habits in the black community some random with an Anime Avi & a pro noun in the bio comes in & tries to justify it, making it seem as if it unchangeable & black people are being victimized. I'm sick of it man :smh:

You would think fruits were the price of T-Bone steak the way people talk

I really really do wish this narrative would ****ing stop!!! For the last time BS junk food is just as pricey if not more pricey than fruits & vegetables.

Everytime people try to call out harmful habits in the black community some random with an Anime Avi & a pro noun in the bio comes in & tries to justify it, making it seem as if it unchangeable & black people are being victimized. I'm sick of it man :smh:

Put twitter down bro. It’s two anime avys arguing with each other :lol:

Put twitter down bro. It’s two anime avys arguing with each other :lol:

Yes because this is the only example to ever exist where someone claims that black people can't eat healthy because its "too expensive".

That argument has never been heard outside of this Twitter exchange

It’s less about cost and more about what’s accessible. Inner city neighborhoods lack grocery stores and the ones they do have lack decent produce.

Hell, I live in a working/middle-class area and the difference in produce quality once I drive 15 mins over into the more upper-middle class part of the county is night and day.

Food/diet is about access and funds…Some folks don’t know better or the closest grocery store is a discount type that MIGHT have fresh n healthy stuff every once in a while

And in this country eating junk is just part of the culture no matter what color you are, most of us eat a lotta trash cuz it’s easy and everywhere :lol: :smh: …It takes a very disciplined and focused parent to keep their child on the straight healthy path when they asking for McDonald’s daily cuz that’s all they see n are marketed to eat

These ain’t just excuses not to eat better but it’s just the reality of most parents daily lives with all the other stuff they gotta deal with

The kid is happy, eating and watching something on iPad. If you want to talk about nutritional value, cool. But to jump to neglect is OD.

If you need cheap and abundant food, you're likely going to spend on junk food. We, meaning most Americans and not just black people, have commodified and mythologized the necessity to keep an unhealthy allegiance to junk food-- yes, but it's what's easiest to access in our built environment.

The built environment is catered to selling us junk that is easily accessible and consumable, not sure if that is an excuse or just observable reality

It’s less about cost and more about what’s accessible. Inner city neighborhoods lack grocery stores and the ones they do have lack decent produce.

Hell, I live in a working/middle-class area and the difference in produce quality once I drive 15 mins over into the more upper-middle class part of the county is night and day.

It has NOTHING to do with accessibility. It’s about some locals in the community not doing proper business and either not patronizing the grocery store by continuing to go to the corner Chinese spot for the same 3 wings and rice special or worse yet stealing out of the grocery to the point that they close down as seen in the article below.

These same individuals can invest in their wigs, nails, shoes and clothes but for some reason voluntarily choose not to invest in their health.

Last edited:
Yes because this is the only example to ever exist where someone claims that black people can't eat healthy because its "too expensive".

That argument has never been heard outside of this Twitter exchange

You’re the one that said this:

That’s oddly specific, and I just think it’s hilarious you use that descriptor, when it’s two of the same types arguing back n forth on twitter :lol:

There’s a realer and deeper discussion about that, than getting upset at the tweeeeters

I will say tho, it’s obvious that it’s much harder to access healthier food options in lower income areas. And the higher income areas often straight up get all the benefits and state/local/govt etc put healthier food options there, and a number of incentives. This isn’t new man.

Rural America suffers from it too. Poor people can do better with their food options. But cost & convienience is a lot easier for people who are just trying to stay alive, make ends meet etc. Not to mention lack of transportation etc and costs.

It has NOTHING to do with accessibility. It’s about some locals in the community not doing proper business and either not patronizing the grocery store by continuing to go to the corner Chinese spot for the same 3 wings and rice special or worse yet stealing out of the grocery to the point that they close down as seen in the article below.

These same individuals can invest in their wigs, nails, shoes and clothes but for some reason voluntarily choose not to invest in their health.

Dude stop quoting me with your Uncle Ruckus *** takes. You’d probably tell me slavery is Black people’s fault too

Dude stop quoting me with your Uncle Ruckus *** takes. You’d probably tell me slavery is Black people’s fault too
ADVERTISEMENT​
***** please I did you a favor. At least now YOU can say somebody taught you right from wrong. Dudes always got a bunch of excuses on how or why they can’t get right. “Grocery stores aren’t accessible”…….better get your *** on the bus like everybody else champ. Talking to half of you ****** is like trying to wake up a hibernating bear, ****** are willfully sleep, half dead and proud of it.

Yes the Quality may be better in other neighborhoods but i consistently see people talking about the price of fresh produce vs junk food and acting as if fresh produce isn't affordable/ available & that is just flat out false.

The Bronx is statistically home to several of the poorest county's in America, I've lived there a majority of my life. At no point in my life has there ever been a lack of grocery stores nor has there been a lack of produce (again i'm in agreeance that the quality differs from more affluent areas)

there's also tons of farmers markets that pop up in each borough, & may be 30M distance away at most.

You’re the one that said this:

That’s oddly specific, and I just think it’s hilarious you use that descriptor, when it’s two of the same types arguing back n forth on twitter :lol:

There’s a realer and deeper discussion about that, than getting upset at the tweeeeters

I will say tho, it’s obvious that it’s much harder to access healthier food options in lower income areas. And the higher income areas often straight up get all the benefits and state/local/govt etc put healthier food options there, and a number of incentives. This isn’t new man.

Rural America suffers from it too. Poor people can do better with their food options. But cost & convienience is a lot easier for people who are just trying to stay alive, make ends meet etc. Not to mention lack of transportation etc and costs.

I see this talking point thrown out a lot & that sounds really good, but it just isn't the truth when your actually in these communities. The same exact stores people are getting this junk food from they have the same access to affordable fruits & vegetables. I have never in my life been to a supermarket that didn't have fruits & vegetables even if they weren't top tier quality.

If people want to claim a lack of information & teaching on nutrition i agree, but this is definitely a mindset thing over actual availability

Back
Top Bottom