Black Culture Discussion Thread

1709057549570.png

Good. They need to stop making these watered down, corny black trauma movies. Make stuff with real substance.

Last edited:
'Gender dividing propaganda' feels like a new slur for women-centered media.

I doubt a lot of folks in real life are accusing the movie of that, I'd be skeptical of the 40 mil number as well-- but not moved to read the article based on that, looks like it was written for folks who believe in this perceived propaganda

Numbers don't lie.

The Color Purple grossed $60.6 million in the United States and Canada, and $6.9 million in other territories, for a worldwide gross of $67.5 million. Variety reported that the film lost the studio $40 million when factoring together all expenses and revenue.

Although it received positive reviews from critics, the film was a box-office bomb, grossing $67 million against a production budget as high as $100 million, and losing Warner Bros. $40 million.

Also,

If someone doubts that there are powerful people with "agendas" who are willing to use social engineering, cultural conditioning, and flat-out propaganda to shape public opinions (despite what history itself has shown us) then as we say in the South...bless their hearts.

Not gonna hold you, but pretty sure that's not how conspirators work...with the whole provision of evidence that they are conspiring thing.

Ya’ll didn’t read the book :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Celie and Shug always had a relationship.

Y’all know Forrest Gump movie was wayyyy different than the film, right?

1709057549570.png

Good. They need to stop making these watered down, corny black trauma movies. Make stuff with real substance.

“Corny”? Color purple is a 40+ year old book/movie.

This book/Story has always had substance. It’s basically about the suffering of a black woman who was constantly dogged about her looks and beaten down. Her character was a battered woman who despite it all, came out of it. She had TWO kids taken away from her, and given away without her approval. If that ain’t “substance” I don’t know what to tell ya’ll. Comprehension skills lacking

Ask Jewish people to “forget” about corny stories about the Holocaust and watch what they say…

Holocaust victims/families remind people about the Holocaust all the time…..

Black Americans are the ONLY ones who disrespect the suffering of their ancestors. Y’all quick to want people to forget. And everyone isn’t broken or experience trauma. Some people just respect and acknowledge history.

It still goes on to this day.

What’s the difference between movies like the “color purple” or people who are still stuck on the hood mindset or crap like drill music currently? Many of us are tired of the same repetitive rap songs, but we let it slide.

Color purple might’ve “lost” money but look how much trash music America champions and puts on a pedestal. Says a whole lot about this society:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who cares if the movie bombed. The original made 85 million anyway. That’s all that matters. The story still stands :lol: :lol:

Color purple might’ve “lost” money but look how much trash music America champions and puts on a pedestal. Says a whole lot about this society:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who cares if the movie bombed. The original made 85 million anyway. That’s all that matters. The story still stands :lol: :lol:

Out of curiosity, did you pay to go see it?

This book/Story has always had substance. It’s basically about the suffering of a black woman who was constantly dogged about her looks and beaten down. Her character was a battered woman who despite it all, came out of it. She had TWO kids taken away from her, and given away without her approval. If that ain’t “substance” I don’t know what to tell ya’ll. Comprehension skills lacking

Ask Jewish people to “forget” about corny stories about the Holocaust and watch what they say…

Black Americans are the ONLY ones who disrespect the suffering of their ancestors. Y’all quick to want people to forget. And everyone isn’t broken or experience trauma. Some people just respect and acknowledge history.

What’s the difference between movies like the “color purple” or people who are still stuck on the hood mindset or crap like drill music currently? Many of us are tired of the same repetitive rap songs, but we let it slide.
Right? What new concepts would a movie based on a musical, based on a book, that already had a movie based on it 40 years ago would add to gender-dividing propaganda?

I don't even know what you talking about. You just going off the deep end once again.

The Color Purple is trash. Just like all these passive slavery movies and movies like the Butler, etc. Make a Nat Turner movie, a movie about the Moors, a about movie about business men and women of black wallstreet in Tulsa and North Carolina. Do that. That's substance, something that we'll gravitate and take something from it.

Because somebody don't like the color purple nonsense mean we disrespecting our ancestors? Man stop.

Right? What new concepts would a movie based on a musical, based on a book, that already had a movie based on it 40 years ago would add to gender-dividing propaganda?

Meh - perhaps introducing a new generation to the tried and true propaganda, narratives, and tropes that we were exposed to back then.

Lord forbid there be a movie about black families sticking together and working together with other black families in a healthy way based on traditional morals, values, and principles with strong male characters in leading roles...that reflects our actual history in this country, but I digress.

I don't think I know a single man who likes musicals, let alone a rehash from the 1980's about a depressing *** subject matter

You think I care about a generation of men who watch love and hip hop shows, cry on IG live or Facebook live? Wear purses and dye their hair all types of color?

Those “men”? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ones who listen to Drake and his painted fingernails??? Those “men”??

I don't even know what you talking about. You just going off the deep end once again.

The Color Purple is trash. Just like all these passive slavery movies and movies like the Butler, etc. Make a Nat Turner movie, a movie about the Moors, a about movie about business men and women of black wallstreet in Tulsa and North Carolina. Do that. That's substance, something that we'll gravitate and take something from it.

Because somebody don't like the color purple nonsense mean we disrespecting our ancestors? Man stop.

You do know CELIE inherited that land in color purple? Harpo opened up that juke joint because they had money. Suge Avery was also successful. Basically was a Josephine baker knock off.

Did you watch the movie “Self Made” about Madame CJ Walker back in 2020? Probably not.

There are plenty positive depictions of wealthy black people. Y’all just lazy

Meh - perhaps introducing a new generation to the tried and true propaganda, narratives, and tropes that we were exposed to back then.

Lord forbid there be a movie about black families sticking together and working together with other black families in a healthy way based on traditional morals, values, and principles with strong male characters in leading roles...that reflects our actual history in this country, but I digress.

… the same black people who criticized shows like the Cosby show for depicting that? Those black people?

Black people support ignorance on the DAILY. But Color purple is damaging and a plague to the race? :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

Look at the music most of our people listen to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Color purple is tame compared to it

Maximus Meridius Maximus Meridius how many songs you listened to this past week about murder, killing, and dope dealing??

I’ll wait.

Y’all dudes be so hypocritical that it’s funny. :lol: :lol:

But we draw the line at Color Purple

You do know CELIE inherited that land in color purple? Harpo opened up that juke joint because they had money. Suge Avery was also successful. Basically was a Josephine baker knock off.

Did you watch the movie “Self Made” about Madame CJ Walker back in 2020? Probably not.

There are plenty positive depictions of wealthy black people. Y’all just lazy

Yeah I saw it and the way they depicted her was weird. The light skin vs dark skin thing they had in the movie was weird. I heard Annie Malone was full black not mixed, that movie shoulda been great and it wasn't.

Sound like you just love all the watered down over the top Tyler Perry type movies. :lol:

Now you want to nitpick. You my dawg but I can already tell that you’re the never satisfied type :lol: :lol: :lol:

You probably give servers hell at restaurants:rofl:lol

But I’ve always appreciated movies like “diary of miss Jane Pittman” and “imitation of life”

That Emmitt till movie by jay-z and Rihanna is the only one I couldn’t finish. The story has always been to graphic for me and angers me more than it saddens me

… the same black people who criticized shows like the Cosby show for depicting that? Those black people?

Black people support ignorance on the DAILY. But Color purple is damaging and a plague to the race? :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

Look at the music most of our people listen to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Color purple is tame compared to it

I must be a little older than you.

Not to date myself but I was alive when the Cosby Show came out and we literally stopped what we were doing outside and ran home to watch it.

Not just black kids either - everyone did IRL...contrary to whatever media reported from the critics.

It was a cultural phenomenon.

I'm also old enough to remember how popular records with positive messages (Public Enemy, KRS One, Queen Latifah, etc) were.

I appreciate a diversity of lived experiences and realize yours is/was very different than mine so it's all good.

Just wondered if you paid to go see "The Color Purple" is all.

I must be a little older than you.

Not to date myself but I was alive when the Cosby Show came out and we literally stopped what we were doing outside and ran home to watch it.

Not just black kids either - everyone did IRL...contrary to whatever media reported from the critics.

It was a cultural phenomenon.

I'm also old enough to remember how popular records with positive messages (Public Enemy, KRS One, Queen Latifah, etc) were.

I appreciate a diversity of lived experiences and realize yours is/was very different than mine so it's all good.

Just wondered if you paid to go see "The Color Purple" is all.

No, my life was balanced as well. I grew up listening to the native tongues, de la, brand Nubian, pour righteous teachers etc. I grew up on Mtume, shalamar and Alexander O’Neal, etc.

I’m just one of those people who acknowledge that I’ve supported ignorance but also consciousness as well.

Moms kept me on top of black literature and dialogues.

I’m just not one of those black people who doesn’t disrespect the soil that my ancestors suffered on. I take it to heart. My great grandfather was born in 1900 in South Georgia. My mom said he didn’t play the radio at all (not the literal radio) kept a knife and revolver on him :lol: :lol:

I always use to ask my great aunts and elders questions about the past

My aunt born in 1924 is still alive. She’ll be 100 in September, lord willing. She had 10 kids. Outlived 5 of them

Back
Top Bottom