Black Culture Discussion Thread

Where do folks stand on situations like this?

White woman playing dumb as if she doesn't understand why folks are upset is hilarious.

But, a lot of the things we give attention / (indirect) value to are sometimes used against us. So can we really not understand why they always do stuff like that to us?

I feel like it's goofy all around but I get the appropriation offense.

Just saw that as well. Dude's feelings sum it up pretty much. That lady was ignorant as hell. Reminds me of Dave saying "you can't say skeet skeet skeet" on tv!?!

Like she legit didn't seem to know what was what. Literally just putting the culture on like an outfit :smh:

White woman playing dumb as if she doesn't understand why folks are upset is hilarious.

But, a lot of the things we give attention / (indirect) value to are sometimes used against us. So can we really not understand why they always do stuff like that to us?

This is stupid. Hip hop is pretty much ran by white folks, but a cookie shop..thats too far. Maybe Im taking too far but I notice black women love to start this engine. Sometimes even unjustly. Its like they're sitting around waiting to play that card and only want to play it when they think they'll actually win.

This is stupid. Hip hop is pretty much ran by white folks, but a cookie shop..thats too far. Maybe Im taking too far but I notice black women love to start this engine. Sometimes even unjustly. Its like they're sitting around waiting to play that card and only want to play it when they think they'll actually win.

What about this one?

Just saw that as well. Dude's feelings sum it up pretty much. That lady was ignorant as hell. Reminds me of Dave saying "you can't say skeet skeet skeet" on tv!?!

Like she legit didn't seem to know what was what. Literally just putting the culture on like an outfit :smh:

Y’all are FOOLS if you think she didn’t know what those tropes represented. Y’all continue to be naive.

Here’s the issue with a lot of us. EVERY race/culture (besides some us) researchers or knows about the customs off each other. They may lead on or act as if they don’t know, they definitely do. It’s the old adage of playing dumb but they really know what things represents.

Some us don’t even research or fail analyze others races. It’s like a scouting report or recruiting trip in sports. A lot of black people fail to do their homework and vet other races.

Other races definitely research us and know what’s going and a lot is still play coy.

You definitely should be doing your research in regards to everyone.

Those business owners knew EXACTLY what that stuff represents. They’re playing dumb on purpose

Stop falling for that “they didn’t know” or “they were ignorant to it” that’s exactly what they want y’all to believe

Y’all really believe a portion of people, who stripped a few million of your ancestors of their culture over 500 years ago, don’t know the inner workings of the black community? Those people are master manipulators and infiltrators, they definitely know what’s going on and their trump card is to play crazy when backed into a corner. It’s clock work

Ain’t nothing wrong with women addressing it. They got more nuts than a lot of these weak dudes

The only reason it’s ran by them, cause they can easily finance any venture and willing to take the backlash risks. However to people like us, we shouldn’t be silent nor patronize such a business that brings detrimental harm, but here we are in 2024 and nothing is new under the sun. It will always be a Us vs them. Someone gotta get up and take the 1st punch.

Y’all are FOOLS if you think she didn’t know what those tropes represented. Y’all continue to be naive.

Here’s the issue with a lot of us. EVERY race/culture (besides some us) researchers or knows about the customs off each other. They may lead on or act as if they don’t know, they definitely do. It’s the old adage of playing dumb but they really know what things represents.

Some us don’t even research or fail analyze others races. It’s like a scouting report or recruiting trip in sports. A lot of black people fail to do their homework and vet other races.

Other races definitely research us and know what’s going and a lot is still play coy.

You definitely should be doing your research in regards to everyone.

Those business owners knew EXACTLY what that stuff represents. They’re playing dumb on purpose

Stop falling for that “they didn’t know” or “they were ignorant to it” that’s exactly what they want y’all to believe

Y’all really believe a portion of people, who stripped a few million of your ancestors of their culture over 500 years ago, don’t know the inner workings of the black community? Those people are master manipulators and infiltrators, they definitely know what’s going on and their trump card is to play crazy when backed into a corner. It’s clock work

I'm pretty much suspicious of everyone. There's nothing to fall for. She's still liable for her behavior, ignorance is no excuse. But yeah, there are white people who do all sorts of things because they are ignorant. The issue to me comes more in your reaction to your ignorance. Just because white society coddled you into being ignorant doesn't mean you don't have to own up to it when it gets pointed out to you that you're doing wrong.

And every franchise owner doesn't know the exact history of the company they are opening up a branch of. It's impact is the same regardless of her knowledge or lack thereof.

There's no need to go off on a long back and forth trying to argue what she knew and when based off a 15-second clip (total). I don't care. That business in general is wild. Looks like a report from the Onion or something.

. However to people like us, we shouldn’t be silent nor patronize such a business that brings detrimental harm, but here we are in 2024 and nothing is new under the sun. It will always be a Us vs them. Someone gotta get up and take the 1st punch.

1. If this shop were owned by blacks, would it still be doing "detrimental harm?"

2. Is it who owns THIS store that is bringing that?

Or

Is it the presentation of the store that is bringing that?

2 questions.

What about this one?

Thats just straight racism....with a Wu Tang shirt on. I was speaking more or how quick people are to accuse someone of cultural appropriation.
Ain’t nothing wrong with women addressing it. They got more nuts than a lot of these weak dudes
True, but I think we're a bit more grounded with it. You can't be out hear pointing fingers at folks talking about culture appropriation with a fresh perm/a wig, foundation on your face, rocking a Wu Tang shirt that matches your LV bag bumping a rapper whose whole management team is white in a Mercedes, practicing your "Becky voice" on your way to a house showing. The kettel and the pot. All Im saying is if mfers kept that energy all the way across the board instead of picking low hanging fruit trying to feel like someone, the country would like a lot different.
1. If this shop were owned by blacks, would it still be doing "detrimental harm?"

2. Is it who owns THIS store that is bringing that?

Or

Is it the presentation of the store that is bringing that?

2 questions.
Thats my question, what are "we" REALLY upset about here? Hip-hop(and pop) is the #1 music in the world. You're delusional if you think we did that by ourselves. In 2024, its not just probable...its LIKELY there are white people that grew up entrenched in hip-hop culture. Hip hop has trancended race and this is what it looks like. Why are some of us trying sooo hard to go backwards. "We want some of yours, but you can't have any of ours.." Who does that sound like? I think some people self hate so hard on a subconscience level that weirdly flipped and countourted. You can't hate a black person for being black....folks will hate you, but I can hate these white folks for liking anything remotely close to us.

1. This sounds like an Episode of Chappelle Show or Atlanta
2. They own this shop, but it’s a franchise? Who created the business? That’s where the appropriation starts
3. The lady or her husband knows what these things are. They just don't consider them negative tropes. It just "hip-hop".
4. These wouldn't be considered negative tropes if the owner was Black so dude at the end is disingenuous. Cam sold Sizzurp and Nelly sold Pimp Juice and no one gave a **** about a negative image.

All that to say, the store is cringe regardless of who owns it, but it aint nothing to go up in arms over.

True, but I think we're a bit more grounded with it. You can't be out hear pointing fingers at folks talking about culture appropriation with a fresh perm/a wig, foundation on your face, rocking a Wu Tang shirt that matches your LV bag bumping a rapper whose whole management team is white in a Mercedes, practicing your "Becky voice" on your way to a house showing. The kettel and the pot. All Im saying is if mfers kept that energy all the way across the board instead of picking low hanging fruit trying to feel like someone, the country would like a lot different.

4. These wouldn't be considered negative tropes if the owner was Black so dude at the end is disingenuous. Cam sold Sizzurp and Nelly sold Pimp Juice and no one gave a **** about a negative image.

All that to say, the store is cringe regardless of who owns it, but it aint nothing to go up in arms over.
I guess I am struggling to understand how a trope is negative when a white person is the one projecting the message but the SAME message isn't negative because a black face is in control of the messaging.

I genuinely am confused when this is said.

It isn't about the message but the messenger?

Ppl pick and choose when to be up in arms about appropriation or not so I don’t pay too much attention to it..The same folks mad now be the ones saying somebody “invited to the cookout” cuz they hit a lil 2 step to whatever song is hot at the moment :lol: :smh:

I guess I am struggling to understand how a trope is negative when a white person is the one projecting the message but the SAME message isn't negative because a black face is in control of the messaging.

I genuinely am confused when this is said.

It isn't about the message but the messenger?
The message is negative in both cases. Unfortunately, folks have done a good job of trying to make degeneracy an attribute of Black culture and normalizing ****ery.

The message is negative in both cases. Unfortunately, folks have done a good job of trying to make degeneracy an attribute of Black culture and normalizing ****ery.

Right and I feel at lot of the times we are the ones doing that to ourselves . We inflict a lot of foolishness to ourselves/imaging.

That's why I was confused because I was like WE glorify the negative things she was selling at her shop so why is it ok when we do it.

THATS what I thought yoy said.

I understand from a Mass Media perspective THEY control much of the imaging/messaging when it comes to how we are portrayed.

I understand from a Mass Media perspective THEY control much of the imaging/messaging when it comes to how we are portrayed.

1000001449.png

Right and I feel at lot of the times we are the ones doing that to ourselves . We inflict a lot of foolishness to ourselves/imaging.

That's why I was confused because I was like WE glorify the negative things she was selling at her shop so why is it ok when we do it.

THATS what I thought yoy said.

The biggest example that people willfully dismiss (and I can admit I've contributed to it), is saying *****. We created a narrative that its a "form of endearment" and "we've taken the power back".

The reality is, we haven't taken the power of the word. Which is why folks get offended when other races use it, even as a "form of endearment". If you talk to older heads, like 70 and up, -ga is just an illiterate version of -er. If they do use it, its almost always in a loathing manner.

Back
Top Bottom