Black Culture Discussion Thread

Lebron is an ICON.
Magic is an ICON.
Jordan is an ICON.

There isn't a reasonable argument to dispute that.

But yea, Jordan is at the top of the list for sure.

Please champ. You work with kids so you know or should know better. How many kids do you see playing basketball trying to be like Lebron?? They might want the success that he has but how many kids do you see actually trying to imitate Lebron on the court. He’s no icon because he has NO ICONIC SPORTS moments.

See champ when your an icon like Jordan they make commercials that resonate with the public because both he and those moments mean something to people…….that’s what makes an icon.

ADVERTISEMENT

I don't see anyone trying to play like LeBron right now because his game isn't really visually appealing. But that isn't the only thing we factor when determining if someone is an ICON.

LeBron chasedown on Iggy is as memorable as any modern NBA Finals moment we've seen. Winning a ring for thr Cavs is an iconic moment.

He isn't Jordan. I won't even say he is close to it but he is an ICON in his own right without a doubt.

I don't see anyone trying to play like LeBron right now because his game isn't really visually appealing. But that isn't the only thing we factor when determining if someone is an ICON.

LeBron chasedown on Iggy is as memorable as any modern NBA Finals moment we've seen. Winning a ring for thr Cavs is an iconic moment.

He isn't Jordan. I won't even say he is close to it but he is an ICON in his own right without a doubt.

I wouldn’t even classify that chasedown as iconic…..folks tried to make it ICONIC but it really isn’t for Lebron because Iggy truly altered the shot because of JR Rider going off memory.

However let’s just go with that. A 20 year careeer……and folks can only pinpoint 1 measly so called iconic moment. He’s no ICON champ.

Also thank you for your honesty…..there is no kid out there coming up patterning their game after Lebron, or trying to do what he does because like you said he’s not appealing……which is what helps make an icon. Glad you are starting to see things my way. My man.

100% support it.

Realistically, how does that proceed? Sure in some cases everybody stops bullying. Or the bullies tell their family members and their family members go "Sure, she's right. You should stop being mean. " and the bullies go "Yeah, I mean I know I'm a teen and my brain isn't fully developed, but I'm going to really stop being mean to other kids and really focus on other things that are more important long term in life".

Like sure, maybe a couple of the bullies and their families - it plays out that way. How does it play out in other cases, realistically?

And is that good for the black community? Or bad for us?

Or is this an "I don't care" thing?

Lets go back to the OG post in this thread:

There have been a lot of sidebar conversations in multiple threads about the status of Black Culture in our society, so I figured I would make a thread that would focus specifically on those topics.

Some topics that were brought up in multiple threads:

Lack of unity

Exploitation

Glorification of destructive behaviors

Hypocrisy in music

Lack of leadership

As a black man I feel like honest discussions on these controversial topics needs to happen. We need to self reflect and address some of these issues so we can move forward as a people and as a culture. It seems like we were more together as a people when we were outwardly oppressed. Now that the oppression has been woven into the fabric of our nation and we are seemingly equal... we call each other ******, glorify violence against each other, and are as divided as ever.

Thoughts?

One more time for the dudes in the back of the class to seem to not be paying attention. There’s a difference between being great……and being an ICON. Jordan is an ICON. Lebron James is not.
I'd say its kinda the other way around. MJ is THEE Great and an icon..because one can be both. LBJ is an icon....he's fans and the NBA made it so regardless of how not-as-good-as-MJ his actually basketball playing career has been.

I'd say its kinda the other way around. MJ is THEE Great and an icon..because one can be both. LBJ is an icon....he's fans and the NBA made it so regardless of how not-as-good-as-MJ his actually basketball playing career has been.

You can be great and NOT be an icon……it’s okay fellas. That’s where Lebron falls in line. There’s a reason NOBODY has stated how or why Lebron is a so called icon. Dudes just want the rest of us to blindly believe Lebron is an icon when’s there’s no visible proof as to why.

Even my boy DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican can attest to this, there’s a lot of great wrestlers that are NOT icon’s. That doesn’t takeaway from their greatness.

Realistically, how does that proceed? Sure in some cases everybody stops bullying. Or the bullies tell their family members and their family members go "Sure, she's right. You should stop being mean. " and the bullies go "Yeah, I mean I know I'm a teen and my brain isn't fully developed, but I'm going to really stop being mean to other kids and really focus on other things that are more important long term in life".

Like sure, maybe a couple of the bullies and their families - it plays out that way. How does it play out in other cases, realistically?

And is that good for the black community? Or bad for us?

Or is this an "I don't care" thing?

Lets go back to the OG post in this thread:

I see a room of white kids and these kids are supposedly messing with this black girl so much that her mother had to come up there and make some promises.

I think it is always a good thing to stand up to them.

How it plays out can be addressed down the road but protecting her black child from them, all for it.

I see a room of white kids and these kids are supposedly messing with this black girl so much that her mother had to come up there and make some promises.

I think it is always a good thing to stand up to them.

How it plays out can be addressed down the road but protecting her black child from them, all for it.

:smh:

Yall move way too loud. In going through the video sometimes frame by frame, you can see maybe 5 kids tops. Really just 4. Lot of assumptions being made here. Ultimately it's kind of a dumb move to do all that, because they already have you on video (clearly) threatening things. Anything happens and you're already a suspect.

But I've been railing on this for years, ever since going to protest marches likely before any of yall were born. We gotta move strategically. We have to think about where we're trying to get to and how best to get there. Not do some in-public, yelly stuff, but move behind the scenes and get what we want to get done, done. Do it in hard to undo ways. Do it in structural ways. I get the anger and feeling like you want to do something now, and who gives AF who hears or what the outcome is. But that's how we get played and end up sitting in a cell feeling stupid and having records and losing jobs and ultimately feeling like we puffed our chest out, but at the end of the day where are you at.

But people can do what they want to do I guess. OP in this thread said don't glorify destructive behaviors. I guess we're 600 pages into this thread and still haven't gotten that message. It applies to behaviors that will be destructive, and certainly there's a fair chance of whatever happens after this video that if there are any kind of significant confrontations, it's not going to be constructive for this mom. It's not going to get her a raise, or a promotion, or a loan, or a better house, or a lower interest rate, or anything. You feel like a bad *** for a day or two. Justify that you felt like an animal backed into a corner so you had to do what you had to do. Trust me I know. I just want us to get to the point where we're not screaming at the front of a classroom, we're getting the aunts and sisters rent raised to where they have to move. You're getting their car towed so they can't even drive the bullies to school. You get their parents lien on their house bought and they have to move elsewhere. You get the kids expelled from school one way or another. Do it right and they just think "oh, I guess some things just didn't go our way".

Cause that's the **** they've done to us for 70, 80, 90, 100+ years. Change laws, rewrite covenants, use contacts and friends in jobs to restrict access or make things problematic to the point where the person removes themselves and has no idea who is even behind it.

Was reading a book with some disputed claims about what Pete Buttigieg was talking about where there were discussions about whether or not certain bridges in various areas were built as low as possible to stop kids from being able to be bussed in to go to parks and pools. Again, the digging I did suggested nobody really knows if it's true or not, because it's hard to pin all the facts down.

That ****. That's how you go about getting done what you want done. Remember that Nas line? "I know a kid that'll throw **** in your food and say that's the way you kill a man, avoid the shooting". Stop the bullying without putting yourself on front street for blowback.

Cause that's the **** they've done to us for 70, 80, 90, 100+ years. Change laws, rewrite covenants, use contacts and friends in jobs to restrict access or make things problematic to the point where the person removes themselves and has no idea who is even behind it.

You’re missing a couple key things they did to us: kill and enslave.

This wasn’t behind the scenes, it was “in-public, yelly stuff” and how the power structures are what they are now. In fact thats basically how every group ultimately gets power.

The behind the scenes stuff is just to maintain the status quo.

Back
Top Bottom