Black Culture Discussion Thread

Denzel playing a Moor?

1720573911241.png

We all understand that all politicians are crooked

But really more realistically, that systemic racism, sexism, etc, is just that. It's a system. One person, no matter how well intentioned, can't just magically make all the right decisions and get everything right if they're in any position of power that has real effects.

This is cool and all but I would LOVEEE for us as a people to stop assuming that every black boy or girl is broken or depressed. :lol: :lol:

I get her message though.

It’s being peddled more and more everyday

Might not be EVERY black boy and girl…..but 7 out of 10 black kids are born out of wed-lock champ. With that being said best believe more than HALF of our black youth are broken if not depressed. Single parenting households have failed these kids……which means that can and will fail.

This is cool and all but I would LOVEEE for us as a people to stop assuming that every black boy or girl is broken or depressed. :lol: :lol:

Thats a slippery slope. The one that you think is all good because they're laughing and joking be the ones that need it the most.

Thats a slippery slope. The one that you think is all good because they're laughing and joking be the ones that need it the most.

That’s definitely not true. Again, the peddling and constant bombardment is not good. It’s creating a lifelong crutch. People need to realize that life is hard.

As I’ve said, everyone is not broken or depressed. Parents out here letting their kids get medicated at age 10, when they don’t even need it.

Kids that young on medication, basically will create an adult who is susceptible to drugs.

It’s not your, or my job to tell someone whether they’re happy or not. Look what you just said about someone smiling or laughing.

You can’t even differentiate. Some people are genuinely happy and have a sense of humor. It’s ridiculous to assume because someone is laughing, that deep down they’re depressed. That’s what the world has come to :lol:

That’s definitely not true. Again, the peddling and constant bombardment is not good. It’s creating a lifelong crutch. People need to realize that life is hard.

As I’ve said, everyone is not broken or depressed. Parents out here letting their kids get medicated at age 10, when they don’t even need it.

Kids that young on medication, basically will create an adult who is susceptible to drugs.

It’s not your, or my job to tell someone whether they’re happy or not. Look what you just said about someone smiling or laughing.

You can’t even differentiate. Some people are genuinely happy and have a sense of humor. It’s ridiculous to assume because someone is laughing, that deep down they’re depressed. That’s what the world has come to :lol:
Stop making everything an absolute. "It be the ones laughing" does not mean "because someone is laughing". No one is saying what EVERYONE is or isn't accept you. That wasn't even what any of this was about. We know depression a real thing in general, should we not address it at all to keep the healthy kids(or thier parents, really) comfortable? Its a "read the room", situation. You, at this very moment, are being a shinning example of our fear of even addressing mental health. Really? How could some EXTRA positive re-enforcement be bad in any way?

I get your point but in my opinion it's Better to approach them all with love and scale back when the child has shown they are ACTUALLY "good" than anything else. What's the worst that can happen? A black child will feel loved and listened to?

I get your point but in my opinion it's Better to approach them all with love and scale back when the child has shown they are ACTUALLY "good" than anything else. What's the worst that can happen? A black child will feel loved and listened to?

I never said don’t give them love. I know it’s case by case. My parents never wed. They co-parented after I was 5. My mom raised me to have high self esteem, she raised me to work for what I wanted and she also made sure I spent time with the male figures of my family.

Giving your kids love and ASSUMING all children are broken, are two completely different things. Struggling to overcome adversity doesn’t necessarily equal depression. I’d rather struggle in my younger years, than my older years.

I just hate that everything is being labeled as depression, broken or mental illness. When literally all they’re doing is navigating life. Life is not always easy. And that’s OKAY.

You’ve got these white teachers and some black teachers telling parents that their kid has ADHD, depression or instability and automatically want to medicate these kids with pills. That’s not the way we need to go about it IMO. Society is raising these kids under the assumption that any misstep they have equates to them having some sort of cognitive issue.

A developing brain should not be medicated and should not be taught that they’re broken or depressed. You will have some good days, and some bad days in life. That’s the reality.

Last edited:
Stop making everything an absolute. "It be the ones laughing" does not mean "because someone is laughing". No one is saying what EVERYONE is or isn't accept you. That wasn't even what any of this was about. We know depression a real thing in general, should we not address it at all to keep the healthy kids(or thier parents, really) comfortable? Its a "read the room", situation. You, at this very moment, are being a shinning example of our fear of even addressing mental health. Really? How could some EXTRA positive re-enforcement be bad in any way?

I’m sure that teacher probably doesn’t even know his complete situation at home. That boy probably gets TONSSS of love from his mother and father.

Of course we only got snippets of the video, but not once did I hear her ask if his mother or father is active in his life.

Some people need to stop assuming that every black boy or girl isn’t getting the proper love and nurturing at home. We’ve got some damn good parents (and bad parents) across the board. I know the bad parenting is highlighted more but sometimes, the good parents (especially black parents) need to be acknowledged.

I can run off 10+ great parents in my family alone (men and women) and I’m black, from the “hood”.

I dont think she assumed he was broken, I think she just used him as an example. She asked do you need anything and jit said no didn't even know why. It was a knee jerk reaction, he just said no because he thought he was supposed to. THAT was the point. No deeper than that. She was just starting the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom