Black Culture Discussion Thread

A White Woman is Curating the Hip Hop Section of the NMAAHC

timothy anne burnside (@timothyanne) on Twitter

iVlmZtaL_400x400.jpg

This bizarre confluence is where, amongst many tweets, one saying that — for many people, problematically — “That being said, I’d MUCH prefer hip-hop in the hands of a white woman from Wisconsin, then well, a black man from the South Bronx. There’s something about where we are with things now — on multiple levels — that makes this a smarter, safer, & more comfortable gambit,” emanates. Here are more facts that influenced my thinking.

• The Smithsonian, as a museum collection, is visited annually by roughly ten times as many white people as black people
  • Likely the best curator for the job — with a working knowledge of Smithsonian protocol and larger business initiatives — of curating hip-hop as a larger part of what is the creation of an ongoing multicultural narrative and conversation about race and music, is a white woman.
  • Hip-hop, as a genre, now likely has as much to do with black people as it does white people, brown people, red people, and yellow people. Wholly globalized as a pop cultural touchstone, to somehow limit hip-hop to a “black-only” or “black-first” perspective is limiting. Yes, it may be on some level historically necessary, but it also presents a viewpoint that is just not realistic when contemplating the spread of the genre. It is my intrinsic belief that what was once JUST “black” and “hip-hop” is now something that’s actually universally quite easily understandable.

Last edited:
This victim shid is wild. Just glancing over what’s been posted in the thread If I understand correctly this will be at the Smithsonian. Who cares what’s at the Smithsonian? Forget the fact some salient points were made about origins of hip and
Jewish involvement (well aware of the sect of Jews who’ve turned artist into modern slaves) but let’s consider the fact this is really just an under handed attempt by old white men to acknowledge Hip-Hop as an art form finally. If we want it right do it ourselves simple as that. There’s a brother named Black Dot whose put out books and lectures that does a beautiful job of curating the culture. Imagine investing in someone like him. The older I get I realize you can see where someone’s mind is truly at based on their spending habits. For everyone up in arms about this how many of them would be willing to make investments to have alternative options.

Whenever black folks try to assert our dominance we get our hand slapped and get told to be humble or to be more inclusive... aka be docile.

WE created hip hop. That is OUR culture. It's already bad enough we don't dominate the Hip-Hop industry economically.

For prominent black people to act like there is no black folks qualified for the job is asinine. I'm really disappointing in 9th Wonder and many others for those comments encouraging this. His assertion that white people are essentially the reason for the success of Hip-Hop acts and therefore deserve opportunities over black people when curating the culture are crazy to me.

You are about curating a culture that was built by oppressed people. It would behoove you to empower those of the oppressed group to make sure it is presented correctly. The optics of this look bad all around the table. I'm not saying white people shouldn't help or be allies in this situation... I'm saying I want to see the one making the final decisions be someone literally with the most skin in the game. Its our culture and therefore we should make the final decisions in how it is presented to the world. It's that simple.

Whenever black folks try to assert our dominance we get our hand slapped and get told to be humble or to be more inclusive... aka be docile.

WE created hip hop. That is OUR culture. It's already bad enough we don't dominate the Hip-Hop industry economically.

For prominent black people to act like there is no black folks qualified for the job is asinine. I'm really disappointing in 9th Wonder and many others for those comments encouraging this. His assertion that white people are essentially the reason for the success of Hip-Hop acts and therefore deserve opportunities over black people when curating the culture are crazy to me.

You are about curating a culture that was built by oppressed people. It would behoove you to empower those of the oppressed group to make sure it is presented correctly. The optics of this look bad all around the table. I'm not saying white people shouldn't help or be allies in this situation... I'm saying I want to see the one making the final decisions be someone literally with the most skin in the game. Its our culture and therefore we should make the final decisions in how it is presented to the world. It's that simple.

I feel you brother, and I say this not to challenge you in the slightest of ways, and understand that there’s people at the moment who may be more influential in these matters than both you and I, but if you’re truly passionate about the situation what are you doing to change it? I get this is a forum and a lot of us are here to share opinions and not much more, but for situations like this I think we both know the impact hip-hop has probably had on both of our life’s and this is bigger then just your usual Lebron vs Kobe situation where your opinion really doesn’t move the fabric of reality. All that to say if people are gonna talk about it, in these circumstances be about it. It’s almost as if social media has become the pinnacle of reality, “well I tweeted my opinion on it, works done for the day.” All the while real things are still going on toes down on the ground.

#BlessedIstheChildWhoHasHisOwn

I feel you brother, and I say this not to challenge you in the slightest of ways, and understand that there’s people at the moment who may be more influential in these matters than both you and I, but if you’re truly passionate about the situation what are you doing to change it? I get this is a forum and a lot of us are here to share opinions and not much more, but for situations like this I think we both know the impact hip-hop has probably had on both of our life’s and this is bigger then just your usual Lebron vs Kobe situation where your opinion really doesn’t move the fabric of reality. All that to say if people are gonna talk about it, in these circumstances be about it. It’s almost as if social media has become the pinnacle of reality, “well I tweeted my opinion on it, works done for the day.” All the while real things are still going on toes down on the ground.

#BlessedIstheChildWhoHasHisOwn

My statement was general in that many of our black leaders and those with the ability to exact positive change tend to straddle the fence on many black issues. I think sharing and re-posting information is critically important to any movement. Why do you think Russia and the powers that be spend so much trying to sway the masses via Facebook, Twitter, etc. Our voices matter and these conversations need to be had.

The biggest weapons I feel I have are my voice and my money. Meaning I'll use whatever influence I have among my peers and my family to spread the word and support initiatives I feel is important. Nothing more nothing less. I simply stay on code. If more black folks would do that we wouldn't have issues like the one we are discussing.

Whats the code? Know thyself... knowing who you are and where you come from. Building and protecting strong black families. Practicing group economics which drives policy and helps sustain our communities. Calling out white supremacy whenever possible and the most difficult...doing whatever you can to replace racism with a system of justice.

^ Sadly, white girl being hired brought more attention via conflict than a qualified black curator would have through expectation.

I can't stand the outrage sans solutions culture that social media has cultivated. Do these people know a black museum curator specializing in hip hop that was passed over for the position?
And this whole culture thing, are we counting street poets(which I doubt 90% even know were a thing) or when actual hip hop music was created? Cuz if the latter, white people been there damn near at the start too

my left nut might know more about hip hop than her

the solution is hire a black person

flava flav would be more appropriate

idagaf if the black person had no experience thats ojt

but im sure they put the position up on indeed.com and not that she got it through some white "networking"

the board of that museum is all ****** up too they got whites on it, asians and ****

now if and when she go and does some white **** to the exhibits like making beastie boy exhibits and **** well just say hey

common sense says that there are black people qualified to run a hip hop exhibit

black people in general always got a way of validating white people in spaces they dont got no business in

i guess no one watched the yt videos but heres the gist

She never cared about hiphop until she realized she could get paid off it. She has no connection to the culture or black culture outside of profiting from it. She even said herself that she learned from watching music videos. Don't know about you but I saw kats rappin on the block long before I ever saw a video. But now that she has this hip hip curator on her resume she is already speaking like she is an authority figure and someone who can define the culture.

These artist are kissing her *** cause she already has more power than them. She is a gatekeeper to this museum. That's how these vultures move. its predictable. They are not there to respectfully observe.. they are there to take over. A white woman who started listening to rap in 2003 is gonna be sitting at the same table as the pioneers like chuck D as if her opinion holds the same weight. They will be quick to give her platform too with media publication or at a label much bigger than the pioneers ever had and she will be defining the culture soon enough. just wait on it.

Listened to the first few minutes. She is not qualified at all to speak on hiphop. Says she was born in 1980 but didn't even get into hip hop really until 2003 while working at the Smithsonian. Don't need to hear anymore. Anyone defending this culture vulture is a clown.

16-Year Old Black Teen’s Popular Book Series is Widely Accepted by School Districts, Teachers… and the Students Themselves!

http://www.blacknews.com/news/essyn...ool-districts-teachers-students/#.W6s59SMrIy4

Essynce’s books are becoming more and more popular with even teachers and students reaching out to Essynce in hopes to get her books in their classrooms and to have her visit their school to speak in-person to the students.

Laura Thomson, an 8th grade reading teacher from South Allegheny Middle School in Pennsylvania, called the Essynce Couture telephone line with her class, hoping that they would have a chance to speak directly with Essynce. Her mom~ager answered and advised that unfortunately Essynce was in school. However, when Ms. Thomson explained that she did a GoFund me campaign to raise enough money to be able to purchase the books for her class, her mom~ager Starr Barrett wanted to do something nice for the class.

When Essynce got home from school she explained what the amazing teacher did for her class, and Essynce asked her mom to reach back out to them and have them call on Friday when she would be home due to a pre-planned engagement. Ms. Barrett reached back out to the teacher and they planned a call for Friday. Essynce was ecstatic to speak to the teacher and students about supporting her and answering any questions they had. At the end of the call, the teacher invited Essynce to the school, and Essynce told her that she would do everything she can to try and visit.

Essynce is determined to reach as many middle schools all around the world as she can to have these books as a mandatory reading each year. Similar to how students have to read The Diary of Anne Frank every year in their class. Essynce is adamant about them being a need and not a want in middle schools. Students have told her that her books have changed their lives, even though they don’t like reading they loved reading these books, and they were so relatable to what they’ve experienced that they’re glad to see they’re not alone.

This is big news and has wide-reaching implications for the people where I'm from. As many of you guys may or may not know, foreigners cannot own land in many African countries. These laws were put in place in order to combat the colonialism that ran rampant throughout the continent for hundreds of years andand tampering from outsiders.

Even though foreigners, especially the Chinese, already have a lot of control with in Liberia, they couldn't own land or property until. As South Africa is trying to take land back for their indigenous people, Liberia looks like they're ready to give it away.

Honestly, I can see both sides. On one hand, I can see a scenario where every desirable lot of the country is owned by foreign organizations within a generation but not allowing foreigners to own land has stifled the Liberian economy. Point blank: we're already one of the poorest countries in the world, we need to try something and allowing foreigners to own land, while potentially, will Infuse the country with billions of dollars from investors.

Back
Top Bottom