Black Culture Discussion Thread

Forgetting About Greensboro Keeps Us Unprepared for White Supremacist Violence

"Jacqueline Luqman talks with Rev. Nelson Johnson, one of the survivors of the Greensboro Massacre, about how knowing this history of white supremacist violence might have better prepared us for what we face today. "

I would have to disagree with his inclusion of The Breakfast Club. And also my consumption of the other entities have been so minimal that I probably should not comment however from what I seen he would be correct

Worldstar was owned by a black man , i don’t know about now.
the shade room is owned by a black woman and the same with lipstick alley.

Last edited:

Eh, "The BC" offers a fairly balanced amount of "ratcheted & righteous" content so I'm not giving him that, especially since white media loves and has more outlets to promote mind numbing dumb content. I could honestly say this post in itself is "anti-black" since he specifically made this about black platforms making it look like it's only them doing bs.

Just because something is consumed by black people dont mean its owned by black people.
Actually TSR is owned by a Nigerian women, Worldstar was owned and founded by Q (he's Haitian), Akademiks (Jamaican), Media Take Out owned by Fred Mwangaguhunga (Ugandan)

"Howard shared the story in a Focus Features Q&A written up earlier this month, as well as in an essay published Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times. The writer-producer, who worked on the script for Harriet about 25 years, said the climate in Hollywood “was very different” in 1994 when the meeting took place. "

“I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman,’” he recalled. “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.’”

Pretty much confirming what we already know about them and their obsession to rewrite black history.

You’ve been working on this project for a long time. Can you give us a short history of Harriet?

Harriet, which was set up at Disney 26 years ago, was my first assignment. When I got in the business, I wanted to tell these historical stories by turning them into entertainment. I didn’t want to give history lessons. I wanted to turn Harriet Tubman’s life, which I’d studied in college, into an action-adventure movie. The climate in Hollywood, however, was very different back then. I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, “This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman.” When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, “It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.” Two films really changed the climate in Hollywood to allow Harriet to be made. When 12 Years a Slave became a hit and did a couple hundred million dollars worldwide, I told my agent, “You can’t say this kind of story won’t make money now.” Then Black Panther really blew the doors open.

As a black veteran, this hits me hard. The US military is really tryna lie to folks at museums and exhibits about how they treated black folks. Sad

Last edited:
Nah, Black veterans weren't given the "gravy train" benefits that White vets got

From the start, black veterans had trouble securing the GI Bill’s benefits. Some could not access benefits because they had not been given an honorable discharge—and a much larger number of black veterans were discharged dishonorably than their white counterparts.

Veterans who did qualify could not find facilities that delivered on the bill’s promise. Black veterans in a vocational training program at a segregated high school in Indianapolis were unable to participate in activities related to plumbing, electricity and printing because adequate equipment was only available to white students.

Simple intimidation kept others from enjoying GI Bill benefits. In 1947, for example, a crowd hurled rocks at black veterans as they moved into a Chicago housing development. Thousands of black veterans were attacked in the years following World War II and some were singled out and lynched.

Back
Top Bottom