BLACK FRIDAY 2012

I usually avoid Black Friday sales due to the craziness, but I might give it a shot this year.

For those that are pretty tech savvy, Are any of those laptops that are being offered at good prices good laptops? like worth standing in line to pay the 200-600 or are they like not great and 2 years ago model. (i know laptops are almost irrelevant every 6 months)

Sears BF is on Thanksgiving day at 8, no word as to what's on sale yet but it's gonna suck as always.

For those that are pretty tech savvy, Are any of those laptops that are being offered at good prices good laptops? like worth standing in line to pay the 200-600 or are they like not great and 2 years ago model. (i know laptops are almost irrelevant every 6 months)

They're good for the price. Some of the processors are kind of slow and the ram is low, but you can easily upgrade the ram for like $20 dollars and make it a very decent laptop especially for the price.

if you looking for a laptop the inspiron 14z that dell will be selling for $300 looks nice + no lines.

I'd get the Inspiron 14z from Dell's website.

i3, 4GB or ram, 500GB HD (would swap out for ssd & put in cheap external enclosure) for $300.
Everything else i've seen in the price range for bf is less powerful and some are bigger and heavier while still being less powerful (those cheap 15.6" beast :x )

so i5 and i7 cores, are 1st gen, the newest is 2nd gen i3?s

I usually like bigger screens but if this one is pretty powerful with this much HD 500GB (which I won't use up since i have Externals) this seems to be a great deal. I just hope my current laptop last me another 11 days

so i5 and i7 cores, are 1st gen, the newest is 2nd gen i3?s

I usually like bigger screens but if this one is pretty powerful with this much HD 500GB (which I won't use up since i have Externals) this seems to be a great deal. I just hope my current laptop last me another 11 days

where'd you see i5 & i7's?
the newest i3, i5, i7's are the 3rd gen ivy bridge ones but the 2nd gen sandy bridge i3, i5 & i7's are still very good. The 2nd gen sandy bridge i3 in the 14z should be more than enough for Web browsing, watching videos, and office stuff. You wouldn't be able to game (or you'll have to settle for old titles at low resolutions due to the integrated graphics). If anything the hard drive will probably be the thing that will slow the machine down because (I'm assuming) it'll only be a 5400rpm drive which will affect system boot up/application launch time which is would I recommend spending another $100 on an ssd, although you could always wait till you get the machine in hand and then determine whether or not you can live with the boot time/amount of time it takes to launch programs.

the newest i3, i5, i7's are the 3rd gen ivy bridge ones but the 2nd gen sandy bridge i3, i5 & i7's are still very good. The 2nd gen sandy bridge i3 in the 14z should be more than enough for Web browsing, watching videos, and office stuff. You wouldn't be able to game (or you'll have to settle for old titles at low resolutions due to the integrated graphics). If anything the hard drive will probably be the thing that will slow the machine down because (I'm assuming) it'll only be a 5400rpm drive which will affect system boot up/application launch time which is would I recommend spending another $100 on an ssd, although you could always wait till you get the machine in hand and then determine whether or not you can live with the boot time/amount of time it takes to launch programs.

sorry i meant to say 1st gen is what i was looking at last year that was floating around in best buy for good prices. and i forgot i3 was one of them. (they mainly advertised i5 and i7)

I dont play games like crysis or SF or WoW. I may want to play some Worms or something but nothing extensive I have a ps3 for that, (although games like SF would be nice to have so i can mod costumes and things)

but if im going to pay an extra 100 for the ssd bumping the laptop up to a total of 400, shouldn't I just get a laptop at that price or a little higher, with that stuff in it? or is this one still better with that than the other ones being offered for under 500?
I am curious tho, what would i need to run a game like Street fighter or Batman or something. ?

Thank you for the info btw

sorry i meant to say 1st gen is what i was looking at last year that was floating around in best buy for good prices. and i forgot i3 was one of them. (they mainly advertised i5 and i7)

I dont play games like crysis or SF or WoW. I may want to play some Worms or something but nothing extensive I have a ps3 for that, (although games like SF would be nice to have so i can mod costumes and things)

but if im going to pay an extra 100 for the ssd bumping the laptop up to a total of 400, shouldn't I just get a laptop at that price or a little higher, with that stuff in it? or is this one still better with that than the other ones being offered for under 500?
I am curious tho, what would i need to run a game like Street fighter or Batman or something. ?

Thank you for the info btw

You're not going to find a laptop with a ssd for a boot drive in it for less than $500 black friday or not. the most you might get is a laptop that has ssd caching which is better than a regular 5400 rpm laptop but still doesnt really compare to having a ssd as a main boot drive. So paying the $300 for the 14z & spending another $100 on a 128GB ssd is still the cheaper option.

I think you'll need a laptop with a AMD A-10 apu or an intel cpu & a dedicated gpu (which will run you over $500) to play batman & street fighter and tolerable settings
I'm not sure how good AMD A8's would handle those games although target will have a 15.6" gateway with an A8, 4GB of ram, 500GB hd & Windows 8 for $350.
Since you have a ps3 i would still just get the 14z since its $50 cheaper, has the more powerful cpu & is lighter.

Anyone know if NDC will have some sort of sale or x percent off on black friday? I want to buy a pair of flyknit racers and can wait till black friday if NDC has some sort of promo but if not, I'll just cop now.

Back
Top Bottom