Black Google Engineer "Google hires the whitest black candidates"

that’s such trash. labeling people that speak well, get good jobs, and push themselves educationally and creatively as acting white is nonsense. that hurts more than anything else tbh. i wouldn’t want success in America to be defined as acting white...when it comes with so many long days and years of effort to get these sort of gigs.

people in tech companies i’ve worked at all “act” similar but that’s because that’s what the job entails. that’d be like saying all truckers “act” similar. The tech companies i’ve seen in the Bay don’t stop people from bringing their culture with them and celebrate it more than most of the less progressive environments i’ve worked in. A lot of these companies don’t care if you wear a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, have tattoos, or if you celebrate festivus. As long as you communicate with other people respectfully and get your work done it’s a pretty live and let live culture.

edit - after reading above i agree. companies still will
hire the person that “fits” the mold the best. i think that’s true of any company or industry though and not specific to tech companies. My Vietnamese mechanic certainly isn’t looking for white guys to bring into his shop to train up.

2nd edit - i work at a tech company with an Iranian CEO and the prior one i worked at had a CEO from the Czech Republic. Maybe my experience is different than a place like Facebook or Google.
Oh no not the bogus online pat on the back I speak well so I’m thought of as white bullcrap. People get real disingenuous with this if you’re black and have success you’ll be labeled white. Get the hell out of here with that junk. It’s just something some cats get labeled when they do certain stereotypical white things most times just like how some whites look at a Paul Wall type of dude. I think some of you cats just online too much because these versions of what y’all claim get y’all called white is something I don’t see irl and I know plenty of black “successful” people.

It’s a shame their perpetuation of colorism and the way we take it and hate each other instead of fighting against it...

I think a lot of black kids go through this.

Especially growing up without a dad.

Nothing too personal.
The educational system has much more to do with the oppression of Black identity than anything else. People do not know how and why racism came to be. You have a whole group of people who don't even know that their origins didn't even begin with slavery, and that Black people were doing great things before jesus was ever thought of. But when you have a people who are brainwashed, intentionally mis educated, stripped of their history? It runs much deeper than simply not having a westernized version of masculinity at home.

But 99% of the time that label is casted on blacks who are simply doing nothing but being themselves.

Not simply appeasing the white man

in reality da words alot of folks are missing that they wanna say is "street cred."

The educational system has much more to do with the oppression of Black identity than anything else. People do not know how and why racism came to be. You have a whole group of people who don't even know that their origins didn't even begin with slavery, and that Black people were doing great things before jesus was ever thought of. But when you have a people who are brainwashed, intentionally mis educated, stripped of their history? It runs much deeper than simply not having a westernized version of masculinity at home.

I agree with all this.

I think we agree in principle.

Maybe we disagree on the semantics of some of the words being used.

in reality da words alot of folks are missing that they wanna say is "street cred."

Nothing to do with street cred. Plenty of street dudes is pie, and are known snitches or turncoat.
It’s about being COMFORTABLE and not compromising for a dollar.

I remember I had a job interview in Atlanta. The company wanted me to cut my hair and shave. The woman flat out said “you got the job, you just have to cut your hair and shave” those were her exact words.

She gave me her business card and said call back with my decision. I took the card, and never called back.

Like WTF I look like doing all that to appease y’all. B**** please. It’s like certain cultures (and lets keep it real, white American culture) act is if they’ve never done wrong. Colonialist called us “savages” but these same dudes raped black women, whipped slaves, burned crosses, hung and lynched, etc, but we were deemed savage.

Why would I EVER want to make people with that type of history, comfortable? I seem threatening, but you’re the ones who burned, hanged, and shackled people? But I’m a “savage” or threat? :lol: :lol:

That’s a problem.

One of the reasons the Jews are very successful in maintaining their own identity, is because they teach their own history. They do not leave it to anyone else, to tell their story. Black people in america are the only group of people, who will allow others to tell our story, describing our pain, then letting others tell us how to deal with such matters. You'll even see that here on Niketalk. Whites and non Blacks feel too comfortable telling Black people that if we even discuss what being Black really and truly means? You'll read from those non Blacks that we are derailing threads, and that talking isn't going to solve anything, that a solution isn't going to come through a discussion in a site such as this.

They are way too comfortable. They need to be made felt uncomfortable when it comes to discussing OUR issues.

Last edited:
Probably should read the transcript to find out what she actually said...in her own words.

Websites generate revenue by creating click bait from real articles because lord forbid we do our own research.

Actually a really good discussion.

Bria Sullivan: I think a lot of the decisions made in Silicon Valley are cop-outs. I feel like they’re patches to a real solution.

Jamarlin Martin: Trump, in his speeches he goes, look at my African American over there. Look at my African American. I just felt like the way it comes across…

Bria Sullivan: It’s like ‘look at our residential black’.

Jamarlin Martin: We’re going to hire an African American so you guys could shut up. It seems like they just fumble at almost everything related to PR, in terms of facebook.

Bria Sullivan: This is my problem. I feel like they hire the whitest black candidate. They hire someone who’s exactly like them, but black.

Jamarlin Martin: Let’s talk about that. I’m glad you brought that up because when you look at a lot of the black people that Silicon Valley love, right? The ones that they hire. You probably want to hire someone who can help you with PR, right? Give you some good PR. Possibly check the box on the gender front, and the race front. But at the end of the day in terms of whether it’s real change, is this person going to push real change? Is it just Silicon Valley Clarence Thomas, meaning that Clarence Thomas would be to the right of a lot of white racists, right? Bush, at least in my point of view, is that it’s easier to get your nominee through. Maybe you spice it up and it’s a black guy and then you can get some other people coming through because it looks more liberal, but it’s still rotten inside.

Bria Sullivan: It feels very obvious. Yeah. It’s weird because I feel like even in the black community we fall for it a lot. We cheer on… yes, it’s really great that that person is there, but…

Jamarlin Martin: We just get played. They just wrap up really bad stuff in a black face. Keeps the pressure off. Nothing really changes.

Bria Sullivan: Yeah. And I feel like, actually put someone in a position where they are running an organization. Like all of Google maps is run by a black person or something like that.

Jamarlin Martin: That’s more meaningful than a diversity kind of…

Bria Sullivan: Yeah, I mean, you have a black person that heads diversity. Okay. Thanks. I have someone who can empathize with me, but at the end of the day they work for you.

Jamarlin Martin: Does tech have a Clarence Thomas problem? Does the diversity issue as it relates to black folks, do we have a Clarence Thomas problem where hey, we may get black professionals in some of these higher roles, but they’re not really checking for the community. They’re just looking to get a check. They’re very fearful. They’re not going to shake anything up. That’s kind of why they’re hired. They’re not going to really rock the boat, but stop thinking that hey, one hire or a couple of black executive hires is really gonna move the needle.

Bria Sullivan: Again, that goes back to my point. I feel like they hire someone that meets exactly their qualifications and I feel like this is a problem. And when I was saying there’s like a hiring problem, a lot of what people are asking for is they don’t realize that they’re asking for a white person, they’re not specifically doing that, but only for the most part, mostly white people will qualify for the criteria that they give, and they might find a black person that does, and it might end probably not going to be the type of black person that is actually going to do the thing that we want because it’s what they want. They didn’t change anything about what they were looking for. And we absolutely do have that problem.

Jamarlin Martin: Yeah. So I’m gonna put my cape on for Google for a second. And so Google’s diversity numbers are not really moving, as it relates to a black people, tech professionals. If Google says, look, our black engineers are heavily sought after by other companies looking to get their diversity numbers up, and kind of the first place, the easy and the lazy way to do this is that, hey, I’m going to look at Facebook, I’m going to look at Google, I’m going to look at the top companies and we’re just going to go try to pick off their black engineers. Right? And we’re going to help diversify our teams. Right? That’s a lot easier in many cases than going out and trying to find them and doing the work and building the recruiting systems to go out to Howard and to Morehouse and Spelman and other universities. So Google could say, Hey, our engineers are heavily recruited, our black engineers. This puts additional pressure on moving our numbers up because this is the first place you want to go to based on our value and quality. The company’s kind of, Hey, I’m just going to pick off the black google engineers. That’s how we’re going to diversify our workforce.

Bria Sullivan: Yeah. Honestly, what’s been keeping me here… people hit me up all the time, but what keeps me here is the support that I have from my team, my manager. I can say any radical thing I want or check someone and I’m not reprimanded for it or I haven’t really had to do that, at least on my immediate team, but for the most part, I have a manager who will stick up for me and will say like, don’t talk over her or something like that. And that’s actually pretty rare. My team is one of the most diverse teams at Google. We have two black interns, on top of that we have three black engineers on our team, one of which, a black woman is one of the leads. And so all of that happened just because my manager did that on purpose. It doesn’t happen by accident. He was like, no, my team is going to be diverse, otherwise we’re not going to have a good product. And I don’t think that that is the norm at Google, so people leave because they don’t have that type of support. So that’s where Google can help. This is my issue and I really hope I don’t get fired for this. Our diversity stuff that we do, like Howard West and our Google in Residence Program which is headed by a black woman. Their team is so understaffed and underfunded basically, like they have to just figure out how to do amazing things with not that much money. I mean, it’s decent. It’s more than probably any other company’s going to give them, but it’s not something I think that they take that serious. So that’s why it’s a little bit harder. We get a lot of engineers from those schools now that we weren’t getting before, at least for interns and it is starting to get better.

https://moguldom.com/154389/full-transcript-google-engineer-bria-sullivan-on-ghogh-podcast/

Acting American in many ways is acting white...whether we like it or want to admit it or not. Easy to see as we see the president trying everything in his power to "make America great again" which has translated into making sure immigrants from perceived non white countries cant get in and those already in get pushed out.

Also easy to see as you compare any of us to our African counterparts. We all sound European, have European names, a certain mindset, etc.

I'm not sugar coating anything. I'm just going to speak from the heart and be honest.

White ppl created this country and they run this country And they dictate what it means to be an American. Them and nobody else dictates it. You cant reclaim something you've never had and something you didnt create in the first place AND something they won't actually include you in 100%.
Delete

Last edited:
You would be better off not tryna conform. It seems like ones that do catch it the worse in a work environment. Look at the situation recently when that white chick called the brotha a gorilla and they supposed to be "friends". She was crying and ****, acting like she didn't know what she was thinking. When they're comfortable with you and they see you WANT their acceptence the racism will come out little by little. They'll make slick comments, some racial jokes.

As long as you carrying yourself with respect and you work **** I don't care what they think. When you not acting corny and silly and laughing all in their face at least they'll hesitate to try you. I remember watching this Malcolm X documentary and this white dude was on there and he said he didn't like how Malcolm would call white people devil's and other stuff he didn't like but he respected him. He talked about him and Malcolm would talk and Malcolm always stood firm, spoke with conviction and backed up things he said. They don't respect the "cornballs" if that's what you wanna call 'em.

Nothing to do with street cred. Plenty of street dudes is pie, and are known snitches or turncoat.

wouldn't call em "cornball brothas"
thou...da recipe ya describing has more to do with gate keepers and cultural locksteppin'..

Relegating a persons blackness
To whether they have street cred is just idiotic

sounds like you got baited into something where no bait was laid :lol:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/street-cred

If someone says that you have street cred, they mean that ordinary young people would approve of you and consider you to be part of their culture, usually because you share their sense of fashion or their views.

da keyword is credibility.....

da author of da link cant gatekeep da definition of what makes someone "black" because she doesn't happen to share their values or find em "credible"...race transcends that.

"____ people aren't a monolith b" applies to everyone.

*the turning point of this thread has started from post above*

In..
source (14).gif

Back
Top Bottom