Black Google Engineer "Google hires the whitest black candidates"

66364787_121627755774101_4537257407797546414_n.jpg

BRIA-SULLIVAN.jpg

BriaS.jpg

Bria+Sullivan+Google+CS+X+Series+Dress+Code+tgZ6LkuYUvfl.jpg

That's exactly the issue, big tech and startups would rather hire Grant over Jalen even tho both have degrees from Prestigious top tier Universities but would deem 1 more of a "cultural fit" over the other
Any tangible proof of this? Because I don't buy this at all.

culture & fit is a factor at da workplace.

this is why Melo aint on a team right now.

Ninja I don't think that anyone's saying culture fit ISNT a factor. I think what's being said is that the idea of culture fit just serves as a medium for hiring managers bias that can propagate unfair hiring practices

She didn't expound on how these hires are "acting white". Is it the way they dress, talk, music they're listening to? Are they not blasting trap music at their desk?

How in 2019 is she saying something like this instead of appreciating that she has black coworkers?
You apparently never met one of the dudes she's talking about.

Ninja I don't think that anyone's saying culture fit ISNT a factor. I think what's being said is that the idea of culture fit just serves as a medium for hiring managers bias that can propagate unfair hiring practices
Unfair? hmmm, seems to me a fine line.

This is done with regards to age, sex, and everything in-between doesn't make it "right" per-say, but I do choose to live in reality. Is it right to hire a competent college graduate over a more qualified 50 year old w/ an MBA that won't adapt to technology usage. Even though it's technically not in the job posting? But should be presumed for literally every role now adays.

Companies and/or hiring managers face a tough dilemma regarding 'fit' and teachability and retention. From the perspective of the company, will this person stay? Will they grow? How will they work with other team members? Attitude and personality are large factors that contribute to this.

Last edited:
Unfair? hmmm, seems to me a fine line.

This is done with regards to age, sex, and everything in-between doesn't make it "right" per-say, but I do choose to live in reality. Is it right to hire a competent college graduate over a more qualified 50 year old w/ an MBA that won't adapt to technology usage. Even though it's technically not in the job posting? But should be presumed for literally every role now adays?

I think the idea of a cultural fit can mask some unfair hiring practices. Things like:

Rankings of school what graduated from or GPA...and equating that to success in a role
Assessing fit on some unfounded idea like, "Can I see myself stuck at an airport with this person?" Or "Can I see myself getting a beer with this person?"

Hiring is never in a vacuum and it varies (especially between big and small companies). I live in reality too and I can admit that I probably got lucky with my hiring. That doesn't mean I have to go in a defend questionable hiring practices

I think the idea of a cultural fit can mask some unfair hiring practices. Things like:

Rankings of school what graduated from or GPA...and equating that to success in a role
Assessing fit on some unfounded idea like, "Can I see myself stuck at an airport with this person?" Or "Can I see myself getting a beer with this person?"

Hiring is never in a vacuum and it varies (especially between big and small companies). I live in reality too and I can admit that I probably got lucky with my hiring. That doesn't mean I have to go in a defend questionable hiring practices
Unfair to me connotes there is a better and/or fair system available.

Even as firms move to more automated talent acquisition, problems persist. There will always be subjectivity. Now I am not saying the issue isn't important, I am saying that there are no easy answers as it stands.

No I didn't meet any of her coworkers that's why I was asking.

Like i said its 2019 why would she fix her lips to say that about her coworkers?
i'll bite.
i'm not going to name the corporation I worked for... (but trust me, all of you have heard of the company.)
but I will say this. I was asked to play the game by a person over me who had ppl over them pushing for ppl to play the game.
he or she told me that they didn't want to do it but in order to be successful they didn't have a choice and to use the position I was in as a stepping stone. play the game long enough to get to where you want to go and do your own thing.
that's on top of ppl trying to break me and mold me in their image.
that's on top of being ******* on and blocked.

i'm telling you, there are ppl out there knowingly compromising themselves to get ahead.
there are gatekeepers blocking ppl to keep themselves in specific positions.
there are cliques.
these jobs do not like ppl that are not like certain ppl. that is a fact.

and i'm not just going by that experience above.
it doesn't matter what year it is we have not progressed like some of you are thinking/implying.
its sad that some of you are shocked/don't understand and don't realize.
possibly and probably due to indoctrination.

they got us out here walking around and acting like them. smh.

what i'm saying is not just how I feel. i'm telling you this lady is right. ppl in this thread saying that this goes on are right. I've been through it myself multiple times.

I've even tried to play the game and all that.

Unfair to me connotes there is a better and/or fair system available.

Even as firms move to more automated talent acquisition, problems persist. There will always be subjectivity. Now I am not saying the issue isn't important, I am saying that there are no easy answers as it stands.

I have to believe that there is a better way than current. A lot of companies in Tech in the early 2010's and 2000's used to have tiers for schools and measured that against a candidate's potential. Removing that has led to a better talent acquisition process.

Idk bro I think we're in agreement lol. I agree there is no easy answer when it comes to evaluating talent at an equitable level. Change management is so hard an unpredictable but I have to believe that this process can iterate to at least directionally move towards fairness

I think this is just a cry out for a women who needs a man :lol: :rofl:

She either backed up and ain’t getting no penis, or she scorned, or doesn’t attract the type of guy she wants.

I’ve figured it out
Or she could be like most women. Always complaining about something.

Corporate Black women love thugs and of course most of her black male co-workers don't fit that mold.

I think part of it is that she has to wait til after work and the weekend to travel to places to meet those kinda men. Or he can drop her off and be in her car/crib.

I have to believe that there is a better way than current. A lot of companies in Tech in the early 2010's and 2000's used to have tiers for schools and measured that against a candidate's potential. Removing that has led to a better talent acquisition process.

Idk bro I think we're in agreement lol. I agree there is no easy answer when it comes to evaluating talent at an equitable level. Change management is so hard an unpredictable but I have to believe that this process can iterate to at least directionally move towards fairness
Oh no doubt we are in agreement here. We CAN do better, and should.

Not to be contrarian-I just think we(the public) forget the companies really are people, and mostly well intentioned and smart people-especially in these meritocracy based industries like Banking and Tech. Which get a lot of flack (rightfully so) for the make up of their employee populations. As it stands there are very few ways to parse through equally qualified candidates objectively.

I agree that there should be more diversity in the workplace (both in personality and demographically) but work culture is not imaginary buzz speak. It is real, and fit into a companies culture has to weigh into the equation.

Corporate Black women love thugs and of course most of her black male co-workers don't fit that mold.

I think part of it is that she has to wait til after work and the weekend to travel to places to meet those kinda men. Or he can drop her off and be in her car/crib.
Yes they do. lol.

This boils down to a single woman trying to pit black people against each-other. I am sure she thought women from tech would all stand behind her. Instead calling her what she is...an idiot.

This.

Corporate Black women love thugs?! Where did this line of logic come from?

Maybe it is because Black women, who are actually the highest educated group of people in the WORLD, want to always reach back to Black men, those of whom are the most incarcerated among averages? If all things were equal, don't you think that Black women would do better in relationships IF they had a better choosing?

Nobody has done more to hold the Black community together than The Black Woman. If she didn't date the so called thug? Y'all would call her a sell out.

Taking a look at Michelle Obama, where does she fit in with this narrative?!

No I didn't meet any of her coworkers that's why I was asking.

Like i said its 2019 why would she fix her lips to say that about her coworkers?
It is because of the political climate that we are living in, and Black women have always been the ones to sound the alarm about wrong doing. Black women are also the first ones to take a butt whuppin' from the public due to stereotypical judgments, with them not being taken seriously. By the time the rest of the world wakes up? The time to prevent what could have been prevented, has passed.

With every movement to battle oppression in the United states, a Black woman was behind it. Harriet Tubman, Fannie Lou Hamer, Rosa Parks, all took charge of situations, only for others to get the acclaim.

Not that this sister is in that company, but I am certain that she sees something that has left her disturbed in some regard. She may have seen things that speak to brothers compromising their principles in order to get ahead, bending too far over to please and make white people comfortable, when the same was not being done for them. I do not know, but I can tell you this! If there is any woman who has a right to complain about something in this world?

It is a Black woman.

Back
Top Bottom