Black guy hair cuts

I'm in the same boat, about to go for the Training Day fade with waves. Starting from zero how long does it generally take for yall? And how important is wearing wave cap to sleep, I don't feel like heading out to buy one :lol:

Last edited:
The nas half moon joint is a top 3 cut but I can't do it. Hair grows back too fast. Fade will be nonexistent in 3 days.

Gotta stick with the temp fade

I'm in the same boat, about to go for the Training Day fade with waves. Starting from zero how long does it generally take for yall? And how important is wearing wave cap to sleep, I don't feel like heading out to buy one :lol:

Du rag/wave cap is necessary unless you have perfect hair texture

Dont expect to see progress until your hair is of length. You have to start from a low fresh cut and work your way up. Just keep up your process and you MAY see results in a month. I dont know how dudes are just getting their hair cut all the way down and expecting to see waves in a week :lol:. Remember if you arent seeing immediate results this is normal as you have to train your hair and it has to be long enough. Du rag is necessary.

You going to have to get something to keep on it at night. Just brush and keep your hair moisturized and rag up at night. The waves will start to form when your hair reaches it's curl length.

I'm still a fan of the Sponge to get the curls locking and poppin, plan on using it heavy this Fall!

But yeah that Kinky Fro (DS5) that cats been wearing is getting a little played after 50% of Black Males between 15-30 yrs old have the same hairstyle.

What's funny is that Kobe used to get blasted for that same Kinky Fro 15 years earlier. Times have changed. Lol (for the better tho, IMO)

Bet, good look on the info yall. And yeah I was definitely thinking I was gonna have my waves spinning in 6 to 10 days :lol: , I'll adjust my expectations.

I like the waves where you can kinda still see the scalp.

Looks cleaner IMO. I'm not really tryna have the thick Meek Mill esque joints. How would I achieve this? Just tell the barber to cut a little bit off + continue moisturizing, pomade, brushing, du rag/stocking cap?

360-WAVES2-300x225.jpg

360-waves-hairstyle-how-to-get-curly-hair-black-men-brush-direction.jpg

Last edited:
the sponge? lololol

it really is monkey see monkey do with this haircut and N's

every N got that cut

is it even really a haircut or is it hair just grown out?

wack either way though :smh:
yea I chopped DS5 last weekend :lol: it got so bad people wanted to personally take me to the barbershop and pay for my cut. Lmao got put on blast at church the weekend before someone brought clippers to buzz my **** off with no line up [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited:
yea I chopped DS5 last weekend
laugh.gif
it got so bad people wanted to personally take me to the barbershop and pay for my cut. Lmao got put on blast at church the weekend before someone brought clippers to buzz my **** off with no line up [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]
lol my grandparents always roasted my *** everytime they saw me.

Looks cleaner IMO. I'm not really tryna have the thick Meek Mill esque joints. How would I achieve this? Just tell the barber to cut a little bit off + continue moisturizing, pomade, brushing, du rag/stocking cap?

360-WAVES2-300x225.jpg

Simply ask for a 1.5 or lower (1a, don't get all the way down to a 1). Even more important that you get cut with the grain when you're taking that much off too.

Last edited:
Skin fade with a 1 at the top and a thick but not too beard is the goat

Been my go to for the past month. Brotha outchea looking sexy

Idk yall that DS5 cut is still a clean look to me, might go back to it in the fall. I'm rocking a basic *** all around 3, gonna get cut on Wednesday and get the face going

Idk yall that DS5 cut is still a clean look to me, might go back to it in the fall. I'm rocking a basic *** all around 3, gonna get cut on Wednesday and get the face going

Get the fade instead of the even all around fam. You won't look back, trust

I think dudes are reacting to the cut negatively because it's so popular right now, that the extra popular thing to do is be anti-DS5.

Like, the ish is popular to the masses because it does look good. I don't think there's any denying that. I'm glad it became popular since it put me on to the style.

*kanye shrug*

Yea I'll be going back to a DS5 lite look after the summer. I say lite cause I never grow it to the level of Winslow/Okafor :lol:. Been rocking the shadow fade with a 2-2.5 on top during most of the summer

Last edited:
Why is it called the ds5 when really Que made it popular

I don't remember many dudes with that afro with a taper before og Bobby Johnson came out

Has anyone got any pics of parts with DS5(do ppl call it that in real life?) I want to throw a side part in mine at the end of my forehead line on the left side but I dont know how it will look.

this is the only image i got but it looks like Hosea sides are lower all around... I only have a taper

I do see the cut often when I am out and about... but being that I am older and the only guy with it at work I am comfortable rocking it.

If I was in school or on the scene like talking bout, I would have never got it tho. My wife hates it lol. She cant stand when I get compliments on it.

Its temporarily for me tho, I just wanted to grow my hair out the whole year til my 30th birthday.

360-WAVES2-300x225.jpg

I'm going for that low cut too. I cut my own with the 1/8" guard. It keeps it dark, but a little too dark. What guard sizes should I be looking for to get this length?

Back
Top Bottom