Black guy hair cuts

Definitely go medium because you’ll still be able to combine them if they’re not to your liking.

I started off with the coil method by a local African salon……don’t recommend. Find a loctician that does starter locs (best to ask), have a mindset on how you want your parts (mine are effed but you only can tell during fresh retwist),

Pardon my line, cats be tryin charge $30+ and i ain’t supporting that sht lol

I started mine medium, but sometimes I wish I would’ve started em thicker, but it’s kool

42D63144-2A6F-4E13-AE62-8C164294592C.jpeg

Definitely go medium because you’ll still be able to combine them if they’re not to your liking.

I started off with the coil method by a local African salon……don’t recommend. Find a loctician that does starter locs (best to ask), have a mindset on how you want your parts (mine are effed but you only can tell during fresh retwist),
Appreciate the response my man..

My hair is long at the moment and I usually just wear box braids but I'm thinking about transitioning to locs. What makes you wish you had done it years ago?

I started mine with two strand twists. I wanted them to be on the thicker/medium size but not wick huge. The twists also allowed me to wash weekly and not have them come undone in the beginning. I think I have about 80 locs total in my head.

I had been rocking the temp fade nappy fro for since 2014. I would grow the fro out for 8-9 months then cut it down. Rinse and repeat. Weekly haircuts the whole nine.

1. It saves time. I actually spend less time on my hair every morning before work than I used to when it was a fro, between picking it, moisturizing, the sponge. That sh*t was time consuming. Now I wake up a little oil and water to freshen them up and I go.

2. I don't get haircuts as often. I went from weekly haircuts to 2 weeks to once a month. I only retwist once every 3 months also part of that is I don't want a lot of tension in my head the other part is I honestly don't like the super clean neat look. Still wash once a week.

Outside of saving time/money my hair has never been healthier growing fast, also in a weird way locs boost your confidence. Idk if it's going through those first few rough months is what does it. Lastly outside of me loving them, so do women.

For all the fellas in here with locs which method did you guys use to start them? Are they thick or the thin one's? I'm leaning towards getting mine thick because I love the look of them. Probably semi freeform them as well..
I had medium sized locs for about 9 years. Not too big, but not too small. You don't want small locs because they are prone to constant thinning and take a while in terms of retwisting. You would also have to keep interlocking them. Also, in certain part of your head(lower head back, temple etc.) they will fall out very easily.

I started mine with two strand twists. I wanted them to be on the thicker/medium size but not wick huge. The twists also allowed me to wash weekly and not have them come undone in the beginning. I think I have about 80 locs total in my head.

I had been rocking the temp fade nappy fro for since 2014. I would grow the fro out for 8-9 months then cut it down. Rinse and repeat. Weekly haircuts the whole nine.

1. It saves time. I actually spend less time on my hair every morning before work than I used to when it was a fro, between picking it, moisturizing, the sponge. That sh*t was time consuming. Now I wake up a little oil and water to freshen them up and I go.

2. I don't get haircuts as often. I went from weekly haircuts to 2 weeks to once a month. I only retwist once every 3 months also part of that is I don't want a lot of tension in my head the other part is I honestly don't like the super clean neat look. Still wash once a week.

Outside of saving time/money my hair has never been healthier growing fast, also in a weird way locs boost your confidence. Idk if it's going through those first few rough months is what does it. Lastly outside of me loving them, so do women.
I definitely appreciate the response my man. I've been growing my hair almost two years since the pandemic started and it's past my shoulders in which I usually just rock box braids.

I occasionally get two strand twists and I love the look of them and my stylist told me that I could start locs with that method. I don't like the overly neat look either (preference because they still look nice) I would go more for the semi freeform look sorta like how she has hers. Same thickness and everything

Definitely plan on doing it within the next month. My hair is super thick so it should lock up fast..

Back
Top Bottom