BLACK MAN SHOT WHILE JOGGING IN GEORGIA

she said

AA353213-D9A7-4794-A269-2E9EFA7E634B.gif

I can't overstate how disrespectful it is that this discussion of the late Ahmaud Arbery and the atrocious, yet predictable, miscarriage of justice surrounding his murder, has been so persistently attacked and undermined by impertinent attempts to tone police righteous indignation and racist trolls playing devil's advocate.

An unarmed Black man was harassed and murdered in cold blood because a White ex-cop thought he “seemed suspicious.” His killers walked free for over two months until a video of the killing appeared online. If not for that, it's probable that no charges would have been filed and few would have ever even heard about it.

If your reaction to that is to complain about White people being stereotyped or questioning what Ahmaud Arbery might've done to “bring this on himself,” you need to leave this thread.

We've already had to ban five people from this discussion and roughly as many accounts from the entire site as a result of posts here.

I've received all manner of messages to my personal inbox and our support email over this – some rightfully disappointed by slow response times and moderation inconsistent with our community standards, some complaining about bans, and many accusing us of ignoring racism against White people.

One user, arguing his ban, tried to convince me that Mr. Arbery deserved suspicion (and, by extension, death) because he was wearing a belt. Another user banned for racism sent a profane message directed at me through the support account, which, among other things, wished that I and any family I would contract COVID-19. Someone worried about posts that negatively generalize White people might lead to readers becoming “radicalized” and implied that I would be to blame for any resulting deaths – effectively stepping over the corpse of a real person to fret about hypothetical violence that absolutely no one here called for.

Do not ask me me to prioritize White comfort over Black safety.
I will not.

We will not treat the allegation of racism as racist, to treat collective accountability for racism as racist. Our moderation team will not regulate this community like Facebook, where White men are protected from hate speech, but not Black children. Such a policy would have a chilling effect on the mere discussion of racism – favoring “a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice."

Prejudice is a human problem. Racism, however, is systemic oppression on the basis of a prevailing privilege by a dominant group against non-dominant groups. In the United States, racism is the system that perpetuates White privilege. It is not, in my view and in the prevailing view of social scientists, “racist” to suggest that there is, or ought to be, a sense of collective accountability for this state of affairs, any more than it is sexist to state that men, collectively, are responsible for sexism.

Racism is not just a description of individual acts and isolated bigots. It is not an “individual act” when a Black man is murdered by a former cop, employed by a police department originally established to capture escaped slaves, and protected by a district attorney who refused prosecution until state officials intervened over two months later after the video appeared online. And if you are not subjected to the same “suspicions” as Mr. Arbery by dint of your race, and are thus more likely to be considered trustworthy by prospective employers, lenders, police officers, etc., you are deriving unearned privileges as a result of racism – whether you want them or not, whether you agree the system or not, no matter what your friends look like or which politicians you've supported. If you dislike the stigma associated with racism, using your unjust privilege to help dismantle the system that awards it is the appropriate remedy – not denying accountability.

Saying "America is a racist country" is different than saying "I don't feel safe around Americans. They're all violent criminals."
Saying “men are sexist” is different than saying “pull your skirt down” as a pejorative.
Saying “White people are racist” is different than saying “all White people are evil” or even “White men can't jump,” which implies innate, genetic inferiority and thus bolsters the idea that race is scientifically valid as opposed to a purely social construct.

If we disregard such distinctions, then we're privileging an unjust status quo and making it more difficult to discuss and demand accountability for varying forms of social inequality.

If that's fueling you with “talk to the manager” energy, consider me the manager. Take that up with me privately – not the thread.
Any off-topic comments will be removed.

Finally, I want to take a moment to address and apologize for the failure to sufficiently uphold our community's values through our community moderation during this challenging time. COVID-19 has left us all vulnerable in many ways - but, as an organization, it's taken a heavy toll on volunteer participation. Some staff members now have less time to spare due to things like increased childcare responsibilities. We've long been shorthanded, as a consequence of being highly selective with those we entrust with sensitive access to our community, but this week we were in a situation where not enough moderators were online during common usage times and content that should have been removed in a matter of moments instead remained online for hours.
To compensate for the absence of several staff members, volunteers who primarily help out with content in the sneaker and sports sections have been responding to issues in the General area. It's thanks to them that the users responsible for the most egregious content in this thread were removed. If not for their assistance, offensive posts would've remained visible for even longer, but we cannot be content to merely clear the fallen bar dropped by other social media sites.

Every second racist content appears on our forums is a second too long.

As the person responsible for approving and training new moderators, the ultimate responsibility for any moderation delays or errors rests with me.

When a volunteer falls short or abuses their position, they undermine all that we've worked so hard to build and maintain together over these past two decades. We've been hesitant to recruit new moderators, given these stakes, but it's clear that we need additional support to help improve our response times and ease the burden on our existing staff.

If you know anyone who you think might be both qualified and interested in volunteering their time to help moderate the community, please let me know via PM or an email to our support account.

I can't overstate how disrespectful it is that this discussion of the late Ahmaud Arbery and the atrocious, yet predictable, miscarriage of justice surrounding his murder, has been so persistently attacked and undermined by impertinent attempts to tone police righteous indignation and racist trolls playing devil's advocate.

An unarmed Black man was harassed and murdered in cold blood because a White ex-cop thought he “seemed suspicious.” His killers walked free for over two months until a video of the killing appeared online. If not for that, it's probable that no charges would have been filed and few would have ever even heard about it.

If your reaction to that is to complain about White people being stereotyped or questioning what Ahmaud Arbery might've done to “bring this on himself,” you need to leave this thread.

We've already had to ban five people from this discussion and roughly as many accounts from the entire site as a result of posts here.

I've received all manner of messages to my personal inbox and our support email over this – some rightfully disappointed by slow response times and moderation inconsistent with our community standards, some complaining about bans, and many accusing us of ignoring racism against White people.

One user, arguing his ban, tried to convince me that Mr. Arbery deserved suspicion (and, by extension, death) because he was wearing a belt. Another user banned for racism sent a profane message directed at me through the support account, which, among other things, wished that I and any family I would contract COVID-19. Someone worried about posts that negatively generalize White people might lead to readers becoming “radicalized” and implied that I would be to blame for any resulting deaths – effectively stepping over the corpse of a real person to fret about hypothetical violence that absolutely no one here called for.

Do not ask me me to prioritize White comfort over Black safety.
I will not.

We will not treat the allegation of racism as racist, to treat collective accountability for racism as racist. Our moderation team will not regulate this community like Facebook, where White men are protected from hate speech, but not Black children. Such a policy would have a chilling effect on the mere discussion of racism – favoring “a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice."

Prejudice is a human problem. Racism, however, is systemic oppression on the basis of a prevailing privilege by a dominant group against non-dominant groups. In the United States, racism is the system that perpetuates White privilege. It is not, in my view and in the prevailing view of social scientists, “racist” to suggest that there is, or ought to be, a sense of collective accountability for this state of affairs, any more than it is sexist to state that men, collectively, are responsible for sexism.

Racism is not just a description of individual acts and isolated bigots. It is not an “individual act” when a Black man is murdered by a former cop, employed by a police department originally established to capture escaped slaves, and protected by a district attorney who refused prosecution until state officials intervened over two months later after the video appeared online. And if you are not subjected to the same “suspicions” as Mr. Arbery by dint of your race, and are thus more likely to be considered trustworthy by prospective employers, lenders, police officers, etc., you are deriving unearned privileges as a result of racism – whether you want them or not, whether you agree the system or not, no matter what your friends look like or which politicians you've supported. If you dislike the stigma associated with racism, using your unjust privilege to help dismantle the system that awards it is the appropriate remedy – not denying accountability.

Saying "America is a racist country" is different than saying "I don't feel safe around Americans. They're all violent criminals."
Saying “men are sexist” is different than saying “pull your skirt down” as a pejorative.
Saying “White people are racist” is different than saying “all White people are evil” or even “White men can't jump,” which implies innate, genetic inferiority and thus bolsters the idea that race is scientifically valid as opposed to a purely social construct.

If we disregard such distinctions, then we're privileging an unjust status quo and making it more difficult to discuss and demand accountability for varying forms of social inequality.

If that's fueling you with “talk to the manager” energy, consider me the manager. Take that up with me privately – not the thread.
Any off-topic comments will be removed.

Finally, I want to take a moment to address and apologize for the failure to sufficiently uphold our community's values through our community moderation during this challenging time. COVID-19 has left us all vulnerable in many ways - but, as an organization, it's taken a heavy toll on volunteer participation. Some staff members now have less time to spare due to things like increased childcare responsibilities. We've long been shorthanded, as a consequence of being highly selective with those we entrust with sensitive access to our community, but this week we were in a situation where not enough moderators were online during common usage times and content that should have been removed in a matter of moments instead remained online for hours.
To compensate for the absence of several staff members, volunteers who primarily help out with content in the sneaker and sports sections have been responding to issues in the General area. It's thanks to them that the users responsible for the most egregious content in this thread were removed. If not for their assistance, offensive posts would've remained visible for even longer, but we cannot be content to merely clear the fallen bar dropped by other social media sites.

Every second racist content appears on our forums is a second too long.

As the person responsible for approving and training new moderators, the ultimate responsibility for any moderation delays or errors rests with me.

When a volunteer falls short or abuses their position, they undermine all that we've worked so hard to build and maintain together over these past two decades. We've been hesitant to recruit new moderators, given these stakes, but it's clear that we need additional support to help improve our response times and ease the burden on our existing staff.

If you know anyone who you think might be both qualified and interested in volunteering their time to help moderate the community, please let me know via PM or an email to our support account.
i love it man
always respect
also the acceptance of the responsibility
the ask meth thing we talked about
would be so great
Majority of folks on this site including myself
hold u in high regard
because of not just what u say in ur posts
but how u say it
whether u know it or not
ur SOMEONES role model
the ask meth thing
would def change a few folks viewpoints on a variety of things
should reconsider

i love it man
always respect
also the acceptance of the responsibility
the ask meth thing we talked about
would be so great
Majority of folks on this site including myself
hold u in high regard
because of not just what u say in ur posts
but how u say it
whether u know it or not
ur SOMEONES role model
the ask meth thing
would def change a few folks viewpoints on a variety of things
should reconsider

I respect Meth but I think he might be a liberal.

btw, I do NOMINATE aepps20 aepps20 to be a moderator.
That would be hilarious! His agreeing with you while banning you over something stupid, would be some of the funniest stuff ever!

I'd be a new kind of moderator. One that represents the working man and the underdogs. The guys that are tired of being called racist so they become ones. The guys that want to drop the n word and be sexist. The guys that believe calling out racism is worse than racism. The guys that are true conservatives. I am your moderator.

Although I dont think anything I said implied what some of you are turning it into ill try explaining what im getting at since several of you want to make this about me. IF it is proven he was not jogging while that is the story his defense put out it sets a bad precedent right of the bat and will muddy the waters in what should be a clear cut case. There is almost nothing ahmaud could have been doing to justify what those guys did so why lie if you dont have to? Again we still dont know everything it's a big IF i'm not trying rush to conclusions but considering the state it happened in with those absurd laws that made those guys feel justified in the first place, it's a goof on the lawyers part imo and could make it tougher for his family to get justice. I've seen lawyers mistakes cost clients before. This is why I asked the simple question I'd love to see this angle ruled out but unfortunately nothing I've seen so far does that.

If that doesnt make sense to you and y'all wanna use me as a punching bag w/e have at it.

Back
Top Bottom