Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by infamousod

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Go back and watch a VHS movie then watch a Blu-Ray disc and that's what your DVD's look like.
Or he could just watch a dvd then watch a bd. And hddvd= Blu ray in terms of quality, don't think cuz it died it was trash.

HD-DVD was only 1080i vs Blu's 1080p. It also held a lot less data on each disk. Relatively speaking, it was trash.
hd dvd was 1080p. visual wise they were equal, where blu ray had the advantage was audio as most titles were lossless. most hd dvd's had lossyaudio.

but to answer the op question. yeah if you dont have a hdtv dont even bother. and you should definitely check out a display at best buy for yourself.personally i think theres a big difference between blu and dvd, but alot of people dont really care and are satisfied with dvd.

Basically, the comparison between DVD and BD is like the comparison between standard-def TV vs. High-def TV... obviously you will need an HDTV set to see thedifferences. And for those who say there isn't much difference between DVD and BD, you mean to tell me that you don't see a difference between SDTV andHDTV???

As for the HD-DVD vs BD... from my limited knowledge, I think a lot of the films have the same HD transfer, so visually, they should be very similar...ultimately, HD-DVD and BD are two different types of data storage discs. The advange BD has over HD-DVD is that BD's have a larger storage capacity, thusallowing them to store more data/content (like better audio tracks)...

Originally Posted by pip777

Originally Posted by DRjordanlover45

i dont think you'll be able to capture the whole quality of blu-ray if you dont have an HDTV

but blu ray quality is
eek.gif

blu ray >>>>>>>> HD DVD >> DVD

QFT!!!!!

Lies. Blu-ray = HD DVD. There was no difference in movies that were put out on each format. Stop spreading lies.

Originally Posted by miss kidd0

Anyone excited about next month's releases?
smokin.gif

51S3LavyEmL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51R76CHQLYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51nSsWoFaGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51mTXt0ABML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

wait till you see shawshank on bluray ... you will be blown away made an already classic movie that much better ... i remember the day i watched it was the daythe cowboys traded for roy williams, i was in heaven ...

the dark knight is a dark movie and the blu ray version didnt really excite me like some others ... cop iron man if you really wanna get the entire blu rayaction effect

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Basically, the comparison between DVD and BD is like the comparison between standard-def TV vs. High-def TV... obviously you will need an HDTV set to see the differences. And for those who say there isn't much difference between DVD and BD, you mean to tell me that you don't see a difference between SDTV and HDTV???

As for the HD-DVD vs BD... from my limited knowledge, I think a lot of the films have the same HD transfer, so visually, they should be very similar... ultimately, HD-DVD and BD are two different types of data storage discs. The advange BD has over HD-DVD is that BD's have a larger storage capacity, thus allowing them to store more data/content (like better audio tracks)...

Not true at all. Dvd is a digital format where SDTV is analog streamed. The difference is less than that of SDTV -> HDTV

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

Originally Posted by miss kidd0

Anyone excited about next month's releases?
smokin.gif

51S3LavyEmL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51R76CHQLYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51nSsWoFaGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51mTXt0ABML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

wait till you see shawshank on bluray ... you will be blown away made an already classic movie that much better ... i remember the day i watched it was the day the cowboys traded for roy williams, i was in heaven ...

the dark knight is a dark movie and the blu ray version didnt really excite me like some others ... cop iron man if you really wanna get the entire blu ray action effect

add Wanted to that list to. it drops next tuesday
pimp.gif

i think everyone should just cop a ps3 for the blu-ray player. its by far the easiest player to update as far as software updates & it gives you the optionto upconvert standard dvd's to 1080p. b

but it would be pretty pointless imo to buy a BD player without an HDTV

i only flip through about 40 channels cuz i cant even stomach regular tv lol ... luckily verizon keeps adding hd channels ...

I've never understood how they get movies that weren't shot in Hi-Def to be displayed in Hi-Def.

yes, yes... picked these up last week... TDK is amazing.

i picked up the kingdom on tuesday. it was the first time i've even seen it & its now one of my favorite movies.
pimp.gif
eek.gif

no point in investing in blu-ray unless you have a hdtv.

that's like $2000 rims on a $1500 car.

I've never understood how they get movies that weren't shot in Hi-Def to be displayed in Hi-Def.

The original recordings are much better quality than the DVD version so if you go back to the originals you can improve the quality - it's not like theyjust transferred the DVD to blu-ray.

It's a bit like remastering an old music album - they'll use the original tapes and record them to CD capturing as much of the information as possible.

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

blu ray >>>>>>>> HD DVD

hush that nonsense. they both looked the goddang same.

i liked the fact that hd-dvd offered a combo version of movies where you could play it on a hd-dvd player of standard dvd.

you could find some really good deals for hd-dvd's for $3-$10 to

i have yet to see the difference between HD and reg when i watch shows. So im not buying the blu ray. i dont watch tv that often anyways and if i watch movies*#$* ill deal with it lol

yes, yes... picked these up last week... TDK is amazing.

Son where in the hell did you find Dark Knight on BluRay already?
eek.gif

I need this in my life.

Originally Posted by Apples28

i have yet to see the difference between HD and reg when i watch shows. So im not buying the blu ray. i dont watch tv that often anyways and if i watch movies *#$* ill deal with it lol
ur probably watching ur hd shows in 480p
roll.gif

Originally Posted by kdwallace

The original recordings are much better quality than the DVD version so if you go back to the originals you can improve the quality - it's not like they just transferred the DVD to blu-ray.

It's a bit like remastering an old music album - they'll use the original tapes and record them to CD capturing as much of the information as possible.

True. Thanks for the quick rundown. It's still funny as hell to me that I would get sucked into watching a black and white movie from the 1950'sbecause the picture was so sharp. I miss HDTV.
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom