Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by eteam o2

amazon also has sin city listed for release this tuesday...
you can get this for cheap on amazon.ca, i got this along with From Dusk Till Dawn and Nightmare on Elm Street blu-rays for about $40 shippedusing this $10 off $40 coupon: MAPNEWNCSAVE only downside is they're all barebones discs and Sin City is only the theatrical cut.

Originally Posted by jae oh en

Originally Posted by miss kidd0

No Scarface on Blu-ray yet.
smh.gif
screw scarface, where the hell is pulp fiction.
pulp fiction is out overseas but cost to much to import

I was thinking to ask for Band of Brothers on blu ray, but I think I'm just gonna ask for cash to spend on Boxing Day.

Originally Posted by kuNASTY88

i don't understand why people are so apprehensive about blu-ray

it's seriously the perfect complement to any hdtv

To quote Bill Gates from a 2005 interview (in reference to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war):

"this is the last physical format there will ever be"
To some, especially with downloads gaining traction and banwith increasing, Blu-Ray appears to a "stepping-stone" technology. Coupledwith the fact that some people don't want to literally have to buy a new HDTV to fully enjoy the experience, then replace the their current DVD librarywith Blu-Ray discs. HD is a significant jump from regular DVD, in my opinion. However, it pales in comparison to the jump between VHS and DVD. On top of that, Blu-Ray was in a 2-3 year battle with HD-DVD and went through codec changes that were noted in this thread by anoter poster. Now, it has to deal with thedownload market which will not go away. All of these things have led to a muddled launch and slow emergence of Blu-Ray and could cause the studios to becomedisinterested in the format much more quickly than first anticipated. I think Blu-Ray currently gets something like 12% of new "DVD" sales.

Originally Posted by infamousod

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by infamousod

you absolutely need an HDTV to get the HD (high definition) resolution that a Blu-Ray player outputs. A regular TV, even early plasma/LCDs only got 480p resolution tops, meaning 480 pixels stretched across the screen. Compare that to 720p or even better 1080i or 1080p. where you have more than twice as many pixels meaning you can get smoother edges and higher quality picture. In my spoiled opinion it makes a whole world of difference. Plus a good player will upconvert DVDs so they look better when you play them on Blu-Ray players (some DVDs more than others).

the quality of the TV makes the biggest difference. As long as you use an HDMI cable and a Blu-Ray player that is. Blu-ray is 1080p which means if you get 720 or 1080i you're missing something, but it still looks a lot better than an old fashion tv. (the "i" stands for interlaced and the "p" stands for progressive, which is the method in which the pixels are laid out, progressive is a lot better for fast-moving scenes).

$900 Blu-Ray players are dead, just like there were once $900 VCRs and $900 DVD players and $5000 computers. But make sure you get a Blu-Ray player that can plug into the Internet for firmware updates. If Blu-Ray changes the way its disks are read slightly to prevent copying or to improve quality (which is rare but they already did) then your player may not work as well without the update. Not sure how much if at all it will make a difference. Also some more expensive players may upconvert better.

and yes, HD-DVD is dead

as far as PS3, its what I have and it works great except for the lack of an IR receiver so I can't use my universal remote to control it. it makes the most sense at this point but I wouldn't frown upon a regular BR player if its a good deal on a good player.
there are still $5k computers

HD-DVD was only 1080i vs Blu's 1080p. It also held a lot less data on each disk. Relatively speaking, it was trash.
HD-DVD did support 1080p. The amount of of storage is irrelevant to picture quality.
indifferent.gif

ah yes the low-life NTer makes his grand entrance into the thread. Find the guy who says the smartest thing in the thread and try to correct him.

I know there are still expensive computers I was making a point. And the majority of HD-DVD players which Toshiba used to undercut BR's prices were 1080i and obviously the storage space doesn't affect picture quality but the lack of storage space compared to blu-ray still makes it trash, relatively speaking.
Actually, most 1080p TVs can deinterlace 1080i to 1080p

can anyone tell me if buying planet earth is worth it? i heard it looks amazing but $60 for the whole set is a lot if i only end up watching it a few times.

^ I had the same dilemma... For starters, the video quality is stunning... some of the stuff they were able to film is amazing... but at the same time, Idon't know if I'll watch it twice... I was fortunate enough to catch it on TV though...

Originally Posted by pr1nts

can anyone tell me if buying planet earth is worth it? i heard it looks amazing but $60 for the whole set is a lot if i only end up watching it a few times.

where can i cop the whole set for 60?

I don't know how long this will last...found it on Slick Deals
Discovery Store has Planet Earth collection on Bluray for $35 - $5 off $25 coupon EML2008 + $4 shipping = $34. Thanks fsa and nyct
DVD Version is available for $25 on the same page, however you will need a small filler item to reach $25 to use the coupon
Note, this is a US version, narrated by Sigourney Weaver

Price comparison:

that deal is dead. its back up to 60.

picked up oldboy today.

never seen it but heard nothing but good things.

it is very much worth it. it looks brilliant on blu ray.

it is very much worth it. it looks brilliant on blu ray.

I have had it on HD DVD for a while now and i still throw it in and watch now and then... and thats through my Xbox and composite cables at 1080i... Imnetflixing a couple discs of Planet earth to do a comparison between the HD DVD and Blu Ray.... ill get back with the results in a week or two...

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

kuNASTY88 wrote:

i don't understand why people are so apprehensive about blu-ray

it's seriously the perfect complement to any hdtv

To quote Bill Gates from a 2005 interview (in reference to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war):

"this is the last physical format there will ever be"
To some, especially with downloads gaining traction and banwith increasing, Blu-Ray appears to a "stepping-stone" technology. Coupled with the fact that some people don't want to literally have to buy a new HDTV to fully enjoy the experience, then replace the their current DVD library with Blu-Ray discs. HD is a significant jump from regular DVD, in my opinion. However, it pales in comparison to the jump between VHS and DVD. On top of that, Blu-Ray was in a 2-3 year battle with HD-DVD and went through codec changes that were noted in this thread by anoter poster. Now, it has to deal with the download market which will not go away. All of these things have led to a muddled launch and slow emergence of Blu-Ray and could cause the studios to become disinterested in the format much more quickly than first anticipated. I think Blu-Ray currently gets something like 12% of new "DVD" sales.

bill gates also said that 64 kb of ram is the most you'll ever need in a computer or something like that. i think the black friday sales really helped bluray out as far as adoption goes. But as a movie junkie, I can never see why people think downloads will take over. theres some gratification in having atangible library/collection that just doesnt come with downloads. and did anyone ever think of the whole letting my friend borrow a dvd or taking this dvd to afriends house to watch tonight? not gonn happen if i have a set top-box with all my downloaded movies that i have to unplug every time just to go somewhereelse. tangible media ftw

Originally Posted by SinnerP

bns1201 wrote:

you do realize that after dvd succeeded vhs it took mr luca$$ about 8 years to get his head out of his cash cows ++#% and get the studio to release these things onto dvd....now that blu ray is the clear (no pun intended) winner of the newer format, we might not see these things until way after the new decade

I do realize that, but I think the difference this time around is that he's got all the films remastered and cleaned up, so it should be ready to go for BD, while for the DVD's I think he still wanted to 'tinker' with the movie, resulting in the 'Special Edition'... anyway, its just wishful thinking on my part... hopefully the wait won't be that long...

well lucas has been talking about star wars 3d for a while, so expect him to milk his cow a little longer b4 they come anywhere near bluray

thanks for all the answers, i guess i will be buying it
happy.gif

Originally Posted by purplehazze96

where can i cop the whole set for 60?
amazon has it for 69

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by DG Kyrk 33

yes, yes... picked these up last week... TDK is amazing.

Son where in the hell did you find Dark Knight on BluRay already?
eek.gif

I need this in my life.

Im sayin... where the F did you get that?

yehh where you get that at?!...i reserved mines and i want it now!!
laugh.gif

Bump... anyone have anything else that they copped with their BR?

my HT is coming along nice... speakers are weak in terms of everything else i got but im waiting til next year for that when im in a house...

But i got my 42" Panny... Harmony 880 remote, Sony S350 BR player, Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD att., Cable, 5.1 Pioneer surround... i think thats about it...

any other components that yall got? I really gotta cop some better speaker components before i leave BB... 7.1 Yamaha receiver... some nice speakers etc...calibrate my TV...

Too much money that i dont have right now
laugh.gif

i want a new receiver that passes audio through HDMI. but im broke as hell right now.

anyone pick up Wanted on BR yet? if so is it work a pick up?

Originally Posted by caLiwestcoast1

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by DG Kyrk 33

Son where in the hell did you find Dark Knight on BluRay already?
eek.gif

I need this in my life.

Im sayin... where the F did you get that?

yehh where you get that at?!...i reserved mines and i want it now!!
laugh.gif

Sorry for quoting myself, but...

For those wondering, I got my BD's in HK, where they don't have to follow the 'US release date schedule'... as soon as the retailers get their shipment, they hit the shelves.

I remember paying like $14.99-$16.99 for CD's
smh.gif
laugh.gif

I gotta stop stressin bout 15-20 for a BR... but then again theres a LOT more BRs that i want than i ever did CD's..

Coupled with the fact that some people don't want to literally have to buy a new HDTV to fully enjoy the experience, then replace the their current DVD library with Blu-Ray discs. HD is a significant jump from regular DVD, in my opinion. However, it pales in comparison to the jump between VHS and DVD. On top of that, Blu-Ray was in a 2-3 year battle with HD-DVD and went through codec changes that were noted in this thread by anoter poster. Now, it has to deal with the download market which will not go away. All of these things have led to a muddled launch and slow emergence of Blu-Ray and could cause the studios to become disinterested in the format much more quickly than first anticipated. I think Blu-Ray currently gets something like 12% of new "DVD" sales.

How many people are purchasing CRT TVs these days? I believe I saw two or three the last time I went to Best Buy. Anyone buying a TV today, the past year ortwo in fact, is buying an HDTV. People are also buying these for broadcast HDTV and hi-def gaming anyway so they'll already be in homes when people begintheir transition to Blu-ray.

I doubt Blu-ray will fail due to a lack of interest from studios or people. That the transition didn't happen in a year or two doesn't mean that it hasgone poorly. As someone else stated, that's how the transition usually goes. It's rarely smooth, fast or without competition from a competing format.

An important factor is obviously the cost of BD players. To highlight that point, I "rented" one (Samsung BDP1500) for 30 days, but didn't buy itor any other model because the least expensive model cost $400. Fast forward five months and I can buy an Insignia BD player for $170 (not including coupons,sales, bundled purchasing etc.) or the same model I tried out five months ago for $200 online or $300 in a brick and mortar store. A lot of the updates beingmade to BD players are to appeal to audio- and videophiles so I can purchase an older model that I know has been updated (Samsung BDP1500) and be fine. Thereare plenty of brand name $200 options for me out there now and prices are only going to continue to do down.

Finally, the Blu-ray movies themselves. When I thought about purchasing a BD player I didn't even consider replacing the DVDs I already owned because Iknew that they'd look good enough for the moment and I could "update" later when the prices went down. I was going to buy new releases and rent(Netflix) most of the hi-def content I was going to see. There's no download alternative to Blu-ray unless I go with Apple TV and from one comparisonI've seen, Blu-ray is still better than the HD content Apple has to offer.

We're obviously still $150-200 dollars away on the price of players and $10-20 away on movies before Blu-ray is everywhere, but I'm sure that'llhappen soon enough.

Now that some Blu-ray movies are being bundled with digital copies, I'm much closer to making the jump myself. I'd love to have a digital copy (w/opaying extra) that I could transfer between computers, ipods, and my phone, but I can wait for that. I'm sure that I'll make the jump sometime afterthe holidays.

Back
Top Bottom