Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Coupled with the fact that some people don't want to literally have to buy a new HDTV to fully enjoy the experience, then replace the their current DVD library with Blu-Ray discs. HD is a significant jump from regular DVD, in my opinion. However, it pales in comparison to the jump between VHS and DVD. On top of that, Blu-Ray was in a 2-3 year battle with HD-DVD and went through codec changes that were noted in this thread by anoter poster. Now, it has to deal with the download market which will not go away. All of these things have led to a muddled launch and slow emergence of Blu-Ray and could cause the studios to become disinterested in the format much more quickly than first anticipated. I think Blu-Ray currently gets something like 12% of new "DVD" sales.

How many people are purchasing CRT TVs these days? I believe I saw two or three the last time I went to Best Buy. Anyone buying a TV today, the past year or two in fact, is buying an HDTV. People are also buying these for broadcast HDTV and hi-def gaming anyway so they'll already be in homes when people begin their transition to Blu-ray.

I doubt Blu-ray will fail due to a lack of interest from studios or people. That the transition didn't happen in a year or two doesn't mean that it has gone poorly. As someone else stated, that's how the transition usually goes. It's rarely smooth, fast or without competition from a competing format.

An important factor is obviously the cost of BD players. To highlight that point, I "rented" one (Samsung BDP1500) for 30 days, but didn't buy it or any other model because the least expensive model cost $400. Fast forward five months and I can buy an Insignia BD player for $170 (not including coupons, sales, bundled purchasing etc.) or the same model I tried out five months ago for $200 online or $300 in a brick and mortar store. A lot of the updates being made to BD players are to appeal to audio- and videophiles so I can purchase an older model that I know has been updated (Samsung BDP1500) and be fine. There are plenty of brand name $200 options for me out there now and prices are only going to continue to do down.

Finally, the Blu-ray movies themselves. When I thought about purchasing a BD player I didn't even consider replacing the DVDs I already owned because I knew that they'd look good enough for the moment and I could "update" later when the prices went down. I was going to buy new releases and rent (Netflix) most of the hi-def content I was going to see. There's no download alternative to Blu-ray unless I go with Apple TV and from one comparison I've seen, Blu-ray is still better than the HD content Apple has to offer.

We're obviously still $150-200 dollars away on the price of players and $10-20 away on movies before Blu-ray is everywhere, but I'm sure that'll happen soon enough.

Now that some Blu-ray movies are being bundled with digital copies, I'm much closer to making the jump myself. I'd love to have a digital copy (w/o paying extra) that I could transfer between computers, ipods, and my phone, but I can wait for that. I'm sure that I'll make the jump sometime after the holidays.

I was refering to people aren't currently in the market for a TV. But I guess "Invention is the mother of necessity."

You raise some good points. As did this guy:

bill gates also said that 64 kb of ram is the most you'll ever need in a computer or something like that. i think the black friday sales really helped blu ray out as far as adoption goes. But as a movie junkie, I can never see why people think downloads will take over. theres some gratification in having a tangible library/collection that just doesnt come with downloads. and did anyone ever think of the whole letting my friend borrow a dvd or taking this dvd to a friends house to watch tonight? not gonn happen if i have a set top-box with all my downloaded movies that i have to unplug every time just to go somewhere else. tangible media ftw
It's hard to know what will happen obviously, but I could imagine something like a DVD "special edition set", sans the disc beingthe tangible part of the transaction if the consumer wants to go that route. In the "set" a download code would be included. The whole "lendinga movie to a friend" thing will be exactly why studios would push for something like this. Studios will be able to get their product directly to consumersminus shipping costs, etc. I think it will be years and years down the road, I was just giving the other side of the argument. I won't be putting togethera HD theater for about another year or so. By then, I should be able to see whether or not Blu Ray will have a market stronghold for a while. They better have"Willow" and "The Last Dragon" on BD by then.
mad.gif

PS3 is suppose to be one of the best Blu-Rays out there simply cause of the fact that it can do updates
Originally Posted by infamousod

as far as PS3, its what I have and it works great except for the lack of an IR receiver so I can't use my universal remote to control it. it makes the most sense at this point but I wouldn't frown upon a regular BR player if its a good deal on a good player.
dont know if someone mentioned this in the thread already but I heard you can use the old PS2 DVD remote and plug that in to the PS3 using theadapter.

Yeah the controller works fine for me and I have the remote.
laugh.gif
I love how the update let controllers turn off after not being in use and not having to cutthem off when watching a movie. Good look Sony!!

6 days till Dark Knight and LOST.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Planet Earth is worth it for demo material alone...
just dl and
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
i ducked more than once thinkin i was inside ... i dunno it putsyou in a trance like damn ... i honestly believe my vision is worse in person that watching in hd
laugh.gif

But as a movie junkie, I can never see why people think downloads will take over. theres some gratification in having a tangible library/collection that just doesnt come with downloads. and did anyone ever think of the whole letting my friend borrow a dvd or taking this dvd to a friends house to watch tonight?
do you know how easy it is to take my 160gb 3.5 inch external hard drive to my friends house and "borrow" his movies? not only do i getto borrow them, but i transfer them to my main external hd and they become my own ... if you like tangible copies so much im thinking about selling my dvdcollection of over 400 dvds ... pm me if interested

do you know how easy it is to take my 160gb 3.5 inch external hard drive to my friends house and "borrow" his movies? not only do i get to borrow them, but i transfer them to my main external hd and they become my own ... if you like tangible copies so much im thinking about selling my dvd collection of over 400 dvds ... pm me if interested

touche but would you really take having every movie you own being digital versus having a collection that you can show off and be proud of?

sure there are drawbacks to having a tangible collection (scratchs, loss, etc) but ill take tangible items over a digital download anyday

i am in the process of ripping every single one of my tangible dvds and storing them on an external drive ... i have the dvd image as the folder and when iclick on my dvd folder and all the little icons pop up it gives me so much joy lol ... like damn i have 500 dvds right there in this little folder ...

and if it wasnt for the ps3 i wouldnt even have got this far ... but since i can hook up a usb to my ps3 and watch the movies directly off i have lost the needfor tangible copies ... it saves space in my room too

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

i am in the process of ripping every single one of my tangible dvds and storing them on an external drive ... i have the dvd image as the folder and when i click on my dvd folder and all the little icons pop up it gives me so much joy lol ... like damn i have 500 dvds right there in this little folder ...

and if it wasnt for the ps3 i wouldnt even have got this far ... but since i can hook up a usb to my ps3 and watch the movies directly off i have lost the need for tangible copies ... it saves space in my room too

what size tv do you have?

do you have surround sound?

my setup is what really has me lovin the tangible copies. Seeing my tv with my ps3 with my surround sound set-up and all my dvds is really what gets me. whenyou say you hook up ur usb to the ps3, and you play ripped dvds, i cant imagine them looking good on a large hi-def tv. but thats beside the point of tangiblecopies....i guess we'll agree to disagree.

now let a brother kno how to play ur Video_TS folders off of an external hd to ur ps3 and we'll be best friends.

ultimately it comes down to how good your TV is....i go to best buy and see all the TVs playing the same movie and you can tell that the $1500 TV looks waaaaybetter than the $800 one....

what is 720p? and what is the difference between 1080i and 1080p can someone please explain

can someone just break the whole hdtv thing and resolution thing down how can i make my xbox 360 play games in HD?

thanks

Originally Posted by steff55

what is 720p? and what is the difference between 1080i and 1080p can someone please explain

can someone just break the whole hdtv thing and resolution thing down how can i make my xbox 360 play games in HD?

thanks
from TigerDirect:

A Quick Guide To TV Definition Terms

HDTV -
(High Definition) television monitors reveal either 720 progressive (720p), or a minimum of 1080 interlaced lines, known as 1080i. An HDTV will show 540 lines at a time. These resolutions create extraordinarily sharp, lifelike images as well as the truest and most vivid colors ever seen on a television screen.

EDTV - stands for Enhanced Definition Television. EDTV monitors display at least 480 progressive lines (480p). Because EDTV shows more lines simultaneously than SDTV, its pictures are sharper, richer and more realistic.

SDTV - Standard Definition TV is what's rapidly becoming old-fashioned television. Although SDTV offers a decent picture we've grown accustomed to, it features up to 480 interlaced lines (480i), but can show only 240 of them at any given time. Although SDTV produces a sharp picture and good color, its performance is dramatically inferior to HDTV or EDTV.

For More Information - Visit Our Guide To Plasma & LCD TVs

tvresolutions.jpg

videoconnector.jpg

About HDTV Viewing Angles
The Viewing Angle of any TV is an important specification. The wider the viewing angle, the more enjoyable your experience. Viewing angles above 150° meansyou can view your TV from a reasonable range - from the front and off to the sides. However, viewing angles above 170° are best! Many of today's Plasmaand LCD HDTVs offer viewing angles of 178°, and their images do not suffer from degradation at very high viewing angles. LCD TVs were originally designed fora one user experience, as a computer monitor, but the technology has kept pace with the demands for ever increasing viewing angles, and most offer excellentviewing experiences. Between LCD and Plasma; Plasma TVs have the advantage, but by a small margin.

hdtv_viewingangles.jpg

Viewing angles are not an issue with projectors because the light source is coming from in front of the screen, and not frombehind. However, the surface on which you project (screen or wall surface) may have a slight impact on viewing angles, so it is important to choose the bestscreen possible.
lcdresponse88.jpg

LCD Technology: Response Time - Enabling crisp full-motion video

With the recent widespread use of PC and online games, and PCs equipped with DVD drives give users more opportunities to see moving images such as those in 3Dgames or action movies on screen. This increase in motion picture content means computer monitors must be able to display not only still images, but movingones as well. Manufacturers and IT publications often cite a fast response time as an indication that a display can play videos or games with little or noblurring. Hence, we would like to share with you what response time is, and how helpful it is in determining how well an LCD display (TV or Monitor) canportray moving images.

http://static.tigerdirect...display_reponse-rate.html

bundleline.jpg

http://[table][tr][td]
hdmi88.jpg
[/td] [td] How Compatible Is HDMI?
HDMI is fully backward compatible with PCs, displays and consumer electronics devices incorporating the Digital Visual Interface (DVI) standard. Both HDMI and DVI were pioneered by Silicon Image and are based on TMDS[emoji]174[/emoji], Silicon Image's powerful, high-speed, serial link technology. HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel digital audio, and with 5 Gbps of bandwidth, HDMI can accommodate future enhancements and requirements. Because HDMI was designed specifically for consumer electronics applications, it offers an array of additional consumer enhancements. As digital content can manifest itself in a variety of sizes, resolutions and formats, HDMI-enabled systems will automatically configure to display content in the most effective format. In addition, if implemented in a specific device, HDMI enables a single remote point and click, allowing manufacturers to deliver home theater systems that automatically configure from a single command from a remote control -- turning on or off the components necessary to view a DVD, listen to a CD, or watch cable or satellite TV.

What is the difference between HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.3a, or 1.3b?
For consumers, there is no difference between HDMI version 1.3 and 1.3a or 1.3b. These minor revisions to the specification typically relate to manufacturing or testing issues and do not impact features or functionality in a specific product. In addition, HDMI Licensing, LLC is actively working with manufacturers to reduce confusion for consumers by de-emphasizing version numbers and focusing instead on product features and functionality.

How can I identify which HDMI products support a specific feature, such as DVD Audio or Deep Color?
The key for consumers to remember is that HDMI has consistently enabled a variety of the most innovative new technologies (whether they are DVD Audio, SACD, 1080p/60, etc.). However, in many cases, it is up to each manufacturer to choose which features to implement in any given product. The manufacturer can choose the mix of features that makes sense for its customers and products. So, customers must choose devices that have the features that they want (instead of focusing on which version of HDMI is implemented by the device.). Consumers interested in confirming whether a particular consumer electronics product supports DVD-Audio or any other feature over HDMI are urged to review users' manuals and product reviews, or check with manufacturers directly.

What Is Firmware Upgradeable?
Many of today's electronics product are designed for today's standards. Yet like personal computers, they have advanced capabilities that will let them be upgraded for use with new technologies and standards. The ability to upgrade the firmware of an electronics product allows you to extend the useful lifespan of the device you purchase, and be able to expect support for many (if not all) of the emerging new standards.

What is the difference between Active HDMI and Passive HDMI?
There is no active or passive HDMI in the HDMI specification. These terms apply to cables. Active cables have built-in electronics to enable long cable runs, and typically these cables require a power supply. These cables use active electronics to help push the signal farther than typical passive cables.

[/td] [/tr][/table]

this whole blu-ray thing has me buggin' ... i can never decide which movies to buy on dvd or blu-ray.

sometimes i want to take my movies with me and watch them on my macbook or take them to my family and or friends houses who don't have a blu-ray player...i can't...

so i just keep buying standard dvds, so i can watch them every where.

i have two hdtv's in my crib, a 42 inch samsung 720p in the living room and a 32 inch sharp aquos 1080p in my bedroom. in the bedroom i have a hdmi dvdplayer that upscales and in the living room i just use my ps3

i own like one blu-ray... i want more i just can't decide which way to go with it all really. i guess i will just buy movies that i really like on blu-ray....
ohwell.gif
IDK

how do you guys decide what to buy in blu-ray and what to get on dvd?

Originally Posted by stillmaticshay

this whole blu-ray thing has me buggin' ... i can never decide which movies to buy on dvd or blu-ray.

IDK

how do you guys decide what to buy in blu-ray and what to get on dvd?

i don't even buy dvds anymore.
i guess you have more of a dilemma since you watch movies on your laptop.

one thing tho worth considering.
more & more blu-rays are coming with digital copies. so you can take that on the go.

all blu-rays for me though.

just watched hellboy II today...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I don't have a blu-ray player yet, partially because I'm poor and partially because I still watch DVDs constantly. There hasn't been much sinceBlu-ray came out that are absolute must-buys. I could re-buy my favorites on blu-ray, but that's a real waste of $$$. The jump isn't nearly VHS to DVD.

Originally Posted by mondayC

I don't have a blu-ray player yet, partially because I'm poor and partially because I still watch DVDs constantly. There hasn't been much since Blu-ray came out that are absolute must-buys. I could re-buy my favorites on blu-ray, but that's a real waste of $$$. The jump isn't nearly VHS to DVD.
you're right, there arent any must buys, there are just BETTER buys, aint no way im buying hulk or iron man on dvd
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
, as for dark knight, im shaking my head at anyone that gets methat on dvd

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by mondayC

I don't have a blu-ray player yet, partially because I'm poor and partially because I still watch DVDs constantly. There hasn't been much since
Blu-ray came out that are absolute must-buys. I could re-buy my favorites on blu-ray, but that's a real waste of $$$. The jump isn't nearly VHS to DVD.
you're right, there arent any must buys, there are just BETTER buys, aint no way im buying hulk or iron man on dvd
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
, as for dark knight, im shaking my head at anyone that gets me that on dvd

every movie that i like is a must buy on blu-ray, regardless if i own it on dvd already

Back
Top Bottom