Blue Chip II Review

Nike Blue Chip II review

Most of you know me and my reviews, so I will spare you my details. I picked this shoe up from mybrother-in-law, who is a high school coach, and they bought these for fall practices and the pre-district games.

The first thing I noticed out of the box is the upgrade in materials. Where last years models felt extremelyPayless-synthetic, this year's actually feels like leather. I am sure the cross-weave pattern stitched into the shoe had something to do with the feel, andit was noticeable from the start. The black colorway uses nubuck, or whatever Nike calls it these days, and again, just feels like a higher-end shoe than lastyear.

The next thing that helped in initial step-in and feel was the tongue wrap. While last year's had therequisite elastic-sided tongue, this year's model, while still holding the elastic, has increased thethickness and width, leading to a more wrapped in feeling. It held the shoe tighter on the foot, and therefore did not necessitate tightening the shoe tofoot-numbing status to achieve perfect fit. As for fit, the toe-box has increased room on the new model. I had to go up a .5 size last year to accommodate myslightly wider than normal foot. This year I stayed true to size (10.5 in all Kobe's, Lebron's, and adidas) and the forefoot fit perfect. No pinkyrubbing seams or numbness and no movement front to back or side to side. Ankle fit was great - a little thicker in the padding than last year, but the cut islower and not as restrictive so it feels more free for quick movements. There is an Achilles pad that for the life of me I can not figure out why they addedit, as it just got in the way when putting the shoe on and did contribute to a raw foot in the first three or four wearings (I always wear no-show socks).

Cushioning uses the same set-up as last year, but is improved on a bit. The heel Air unit is softer (or maybeit is the Phylon is a different density), and the forefoot is a little more responsive (the insole feels a little more beefed up. I don't have my modelfrom last year any more, so I can not compare). They still remind me of the Air Force Operate, which just used a Phylon/PU forefoot and Max Air, or the MaxChosen from the early 00's. No jarring or body aches after three 2+ hour sessions, so it is great for me. Traction is, of course, Nike tried and trueherringbone, and is greatness, although I play on an indoor, college Rec court, so it is easy to grip. There is no outrigger, but the fabric wraps around theforefoot hold your foot in place during hard cuts and sliding defense. One thing I love about this model (and last years; they both have the same outsole aswell as cushioning setup): the forefoot flex grooves are deep and spaced, and really help a shoe with foam padding feel responsive and less stiff.

Overall, for a team shoe, this ranks as one of the good, if not almost great, ones. Of course, the white/blackand black colorways have the changeable Swoosh inserts, so any team can match up. I do not, however, think it is worth the $90. Wait for a drop to around $60,and it is good to go.

Next up: My Weapon EVO'S!!!!!!

good review...i agree about it not being worth $90. its a comfortable shoe but i just cant spend that kinda money on a shoe with no forefoot cushioning. when iget done playing its always the balls of my feet hurting, not my heels.

Back
Top Bottom