Bobby Jindal Indian-American sworn in as Louisiana governor

props to him...the man is ambitious and defied odds - and is only 36.

[h1]Indian-American sworn in as Louisiana governor[/h1]
Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:55pm EST

Email | Print |
| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (7)

[-] Text [+]

[table][tr][td][img]http://www.reuters.com/resourc...195527Z_01_N14413624_RTRUKOP_0_PICTURE0[/img][/td] [/tr][/table]
btn_inlineslide_prev.gif
btn_inlineslide_next.gif
1 of 4Full Size

[h3]Related News[/h3]

By Russell McCulley

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Reuters) - Republican Bobby Jindal was sworn in on Monday as governor of Louisiana to become the first Indian-American elected headof a U.S. state.

The Oxford-educated conservative vowed in a speech at the state capitol to clean up Louisiana's notorious political corruption and to speed up thestate's recovery from hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.

"In our past, too many of our politicians looked out for themselves," said Jindal, who is the state's first non-white governor sinceReconstruction in the 1870s. "We must win a war on corruption and incompetence in government."

Jindal, 36, was in his second term as a U.S. congressman when won the governorship in an October election in his second try for the office.

Democrat Kathleen Blanco defeated Jindal in the 2003 gubernatorial race, but did not seek a second term when her support plummeted after thegovernment's stumbling rescue and recovery efforts following Hurricane Katrina.

The storm flooded most of New Orleans, where hundreds died and chaos broke out as stranded flood victims waited days for help. Many residents who fledKatrina have not returned.

Jindal urged storm exiles to return home and "make Louisiana's rebirth your own priority."

He said the hurricanes provided a chance to build a better Louisiana.

"Our economy was behind before the storms. And now, for reasons beyond our earthly comprehension, this opportunity, this mandate, has been placed onour generation."

Jindal is the first Indian-American elected governor of a U.S. state, but another, Kris Kolluri, served as governor for a day in New Jersey in 2006 whenGov. Jon Corzine was away.

Jindal, who first name is Piyush, is the son of well-educated Indians who emigrated to Baton Rouge shortly before he was born.

He converted to Catholicism from his parents' Hindu faith and frequently cites his Christian beliefs.

"Praise be to almighty God," he said at the start of Monday's speech.

Jindal's rise in state politics began at the age of 24 when he was selected by then-Gov. Mike Foster to head the state's Department of Health andHospitals.

He served in several government positions and, after his unsuccessful run for governor, won a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2004, taking overthe office vacated when David Vitter was elected to the Senate.

Bobby's been doing his thing in the political scene for a while now. If you look up more information on him, his accomplishments are ridiculous. He wasdoing crazy things at young ages. Graduated high school at 16, was put in charge of Louisiana's hospitals at age 25, etc.

Bobby's been doing his thing in the political scene for a while now. If you look up more information on him, his accomplishments are ridiculous. He was doing crazy things at young ages. Graduated high school at 16, was put in charge of Louisiana's hospitals at age 25, etc.

yeah I read a little on his bio and his resume is
eek.gif

his resume is pretty impressive to say the least, he reminds of Randal Pinket-- although Randal went crazy with the degrees and what not lol.

I dont know why but I think this country could really benefit from younger leaders. And glad to see some diversity in our elected officials.

black history month comes early..

pbs pinchback. - gov of lousiana - son of a white planter and former slave - lt gov who served when gov was impeached and convicted.

PinckneyPinchbackPortrait.jpg

..Douglas Wilder - first elected african american governor.

Edds01s.jpg

2nd elected

Deval Patrick - current gov of MA.

600px-Deval_2.jpg

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Whats he doing in the south?

Ummm.....he was born and raised there. He represented the New Orleans suburbs while in Congress. He is a young up and coming politician at age 36.

I don't take your sarcasm seriously. Stop hating the South jeez.

Anyways, I'm not a Republican, but I hope he would help bring recovery to the areas stricken by Hurricane Katrina.

Originally Posted by Devanisgee

smh.gif
at a Indian governor before a Black governor.
i coulda sworn the governor right before this dude was black

edit: n/m im thinking bout new orleans mayor

Back
Top Bottom