Breaking Bad Thread - "El Camino" - A Breaking Bad Movie on Netflix 10/11

yall still with this anime spiel lol

death note was cool sure, but just the simple fact that it is not based in the real world ala breaking bad is the separation between great and masterful.

death note had drama sure, and until a certain character met a certain fate, it was quite interesting.

yet still, nothing in death note, characters or plot is matching breaking bad imo in terms of the emotions i felt while watching.

Ok.... quoting myself to post an example of 2 elements Im talking about.

The storytelling in many Anime series and films is bar none. Since animation is not limited to real world physics it can often convey all kinds of things that the budgets in live action pictures dont allow. There are many amazing animated series and comic books with impeccable story-lines that don't translate well to film because they delve deep into parts of the mind that are nearly impossible to replicate through a celluloid medium.

To try to even attempt to replicate this video through film would be a complete waste of resources. You could spend hundreds of thousands of dollars paying actors/directors, renting/building sets, building/applying prosthetics, editing with digital effects and the end result would be a video that cost much more to produce and likely still wont replicate the artists visions as purely.

Good storytelling is good story telling, plain and simple.... It doesn't matter if its live action, animation, a novel or a comic. Emotion can be conveyed through many mediums, to claim one form is flat out better than the other is extremely naive and means you're completely missing the artists vision.

Trigun is an incredible story that captures emotions perfectly through touching on the themes of murder, responsibility, mortality and repentance. This show is a great example of a series that just like Breaking Bad portrays the human condition incredibly well, in a beautiful and artistic manner. It is one of the finest cases of great storytelling whether it be animated or not.

Last edited:

death note was cool sure, but just the simple fact that it is not based in the real world ala breaking bad is the separation between great and masterful.

death note had drama sure, and until a certain character met a certain fate, it was quite interesting.

yet still, nothing in death note, characters or plot is matching breaking bad imo in terms of the emotions i felt while watching.

Everything this man said is true..

And I've watched tons of DBZ and it, nor any CARTOON, can compare to Breaking Bad..And yes it's a cartoon..You can call it anime or whatever you want but it still a cartoon..Sorry your feelings have been hurt fan boys..

Everything this man said is true..

And I've watched tons of DBZ and it, nor any CARTOON, can compare to Breaking Bad..And yes it's a cartoon..You can call it anime or whatever you want but it still a cartoon..Sorry your feelings have been hurt fan boys..
No, everything he said is what you agree with. Truth and agreement as two different things.

Having the opinion that one medium is more legitimate than other medium is an example of close-mindedness.

Let's take TWD for example. It's a video game, a tv show, and a comic.

According to your idelogy, we can't compare these mediums. 

We can easily compare these entities in terms of storytelling since they're very similar.

I can compare Death Note to Breaking Bad, since they are both scripted entertainment with similiar plots.

As I've said in the past, Death Note is like watching Breaking Bad but Hank knows that Walt is Heisenburg VERY early on into the show.

I've already posted examples of animes that can compare to BB, so yes there's anime that compares to BB.

Anime and cartoons are two different things.

Anime is japanese animation.

Cartoons are meant to be humorous, whereas various animes have a serious tone.

Anime has spectrum of shows that range from silly to serious, just like television.

Last edited:
A friend was telling me how funny it would be if the series had a random ending where Walt Jr. was on that Keyzer Soze/Verbal Kent tip and just walked from the meth lab with the blue :lol: :smokin

Death Note is on par with BB now?

:lol: Lunacy.

Death Note is on par with BB now?

laugh.gif
Lunacy.
que? i was saying its not

if death note and breaking bad are similar then is batman similar to bb too?

edit: gotcha my mistake

Last edited:
TheRealTupac:

Death Note

Protagonist is incredibly smart Protagonist gradually becomes more “evil” in the eyes of the viewer until he essentially becomes antagonist. Protagonist has a close family bond to the head of police. (Father)

Protagonist goes through hoops and bounds to keep his deeds secret (just consider his room’s traps).

Protagonist pulls giant trick to fool everyone to believing he could not possibly be related to bad deeds (in jail [get rid of it]).

Breaking Bad

Protagonist is incredibly smart Protagonist gradually becomes more “evil” in the eyes of the viewer.

Protagonist has a close family bond to the head of the DEA (Brother-in-Law).

Protagonist goes through hoops and bounds to keep his deeds secret.

Protagonist pulls giant trick to fool everyone to believing he could not possibly be related to bad deeds (Think Naked scene).

Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=646975#JbGuZfwBM0fpufSL.99
Obviously there's similarites.

Why are you bringing up the same flawed example again?

Last edited:
Death Note ended pretty poorly given how great it was for half of it. No way it's on par with BB.

Monster, on the other hand, is but I don't think that has an anime.

I'm not sure what Batman would be similar to BB. None of them are good enough if we're talking movies.

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=646975#JbGuZfwBM0fpufSL.99[/URL]"]
TheRealTupac:
Death Note
Protagonist is incredibly smart Protagonist gradually becomes more “evil” in the eyes of the viewer until he essentially becomes antagonist. Protagonist has a close family bond to the head of police. (Father)
Protagonist goes through hoops and bounds to keep his deeds secret (just consider his room’s traps).
Protagonist pulls giant trick to fool everyone to believing he could not possibly be related to bad deeds (in jail [get rid of it]).

Breaking Bad
Protagonist is incredibly smart Protagonist gradually becomes more “evil” in the eyes of the viewer.
Protagonist has a close family bond to the head of the DEA (Brother-in-Law).
Protagonist goes through hoops and bounds to keep his deeds secret.
Protagonist pulls giant trick to fool everyone to believing he could not possibly be related to bad deeds (Think Naked scene).
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=646975#JbGuZfwBM0fpufSL.99
Obviously there's similarites.
Why are you bringing up the same flawed example again?
[/quote]
Light didn't have a close family bond with the police. He had a relationship due to family which he exploited at every chance he got (to the point of death) once he got the Death Note.

You can't really call the Fugue state a giant trick. Since in large portion it fooled two ppl. His family grew to see he was a liar and barely swallowed that explaination from the jump. Not to mention ultimately there was no trick he could pull to save his *** as opposed to Light who actually won and defeated his enemy, went on to run **** for years until he was taken down (which just wasn't good writing in the end).

The two things are only similar if you're really willing to be very fast and loose with comparisons regardless of details.

Last edited:
WTH? I wouldn't have thought that anime vids and a discussion on anime would be in a bb thread. Death Note was pretty good but tell people that a cartoon about a douchey boy with a supernatural book and a demon who hangs out with him is up there with bb and they'll give you a sideways look.

taken from your link
 Those are some good points. I still think BB is not influenced by DN. Those are coincidental plot elements designed to make the story more dramatic and full of tension, and since both crime stories are about the downfall of a character, these parallels don't necessarily indicate influence. I guess my skepticism comes from doubting Villiagian has ever seen Death Note as well as knowing the influences he has previously cited for BB. I would love to be proven wrong though so ask him if you ever get the chance.

Death Note ended pretty poorly given how great it was for half of it. No way it's on par with BB.

I'm not sure what Batman would be similar to BB. None of them are good enough if we're talking movies.Light didn't have a close family bond with the police. He had a relationship due to family which he exploited at every chance he got (to the point of death) once he got the Death Note.

You can't really call the Fugue state a giant trick. Since in large portion it fooled two ppl. His family grew to see he was a liar and barely swallowed that explaination from the jump. Not to mention ultimately there was no trick he could pull to save his *** as opposed to Light who actually won and defeated his enemy, went on to run **** for years until he was taken down (which just wasn't good writing in the end).

The two things are only similar if you're really willing to be very fast and loose with comparisons regardless of details.
Monster has an anime.

I didn't claim that DN was 100% similar to BB.

All I've stated is that the shows, have similar plots.

Death Note: "I'm the god of the new world."

Breaking Bad: "You're Heisenburg. You're god damn right."

Two ego driven mad men who will stop at nothing to reach said evil goal. 

All I'm saying is that, if said person liked BB, they'll probably like DN.
WTH? I wouldn't have thought that anime vids and a discussion on anime would be in a bb thread. Death Note was pretty good but tell people that a cartoon about a douchey boy with a supernatural book and a demon who hangs out with him is up there with bb and they'll give you a sideways look.
I would assume that said people are close minded.

taken from your link
 Those are some good points. I still think BB is not influenced by DN. Those are coincidental plot elements designed to make the story more dramatic and full of tension, and since both crime stories are about the downfall of a character, these parallels don't necessarily indicate influence. I guess my skepticism comes from doubting Villiagian has ever seen Death Note as well as knowing the influences he has previously cited for BB. I would love to be proven wrong though so ask him if you ever get the chance.
"I still think BB is not influenced by DN"

I'm not discussing influence. 

I'm discussing similarities.
Breaking Bad=Ground breaking television

Death Note=A cartoon..

You're right, they're exactly the same and should be thought of as such..My bad..
Breaking Bad=show

Death Note=show

I didn't state that the shows were exactly the same.

In fact, I've already told you that they're not the same.

Last edited:

Death Note=A cartoon..

You're right, they're exactly the same and should be thought of as such..My bad..

Death Note=A cartoon..

come on man

Death Note=master piece of cartoon animation

Breaking Bad= a tv show...

anyone can play this game

come on man

You CAN NOT compare a drawn cartoon with voice actors to a real television show where REAL people actually have to work and convey sadness, happiness, anger, rage, depression, etc., etc.,

I'm not sure what Batman would be similar to BB. None of them are good enough if we're talking movies.
[thread="340292"] [/thread]
Light didn't have a close family bond with the police. He had a relationship due to family which he exploited at every chance he got (to the point of death) once he got the Death Note.

Monster has an anime.
I didn't claim that DN was 100% similar to BB.
All I've stated is that the shows, have similar plots.
Death Note: "I'm the god of the new world."
Breaking Bad: "You're Heisenburg. You're god damn right."
Two ego driven mad men who will stop at nothing to reach said evil goal. 
All I'm saying is that, if said person liked BB, they'll probably like DN.
If they have similarities so what? Similar plots (although that's a bit of a reach).

In that Batman Vs. Superman thread somebody said the Nolan Batman trilogy, specifically Bruce Wayne/Batman was comparable to Affleck's role in Argo. It's complete and utter false equivalency. The similarities are where the comparisons begin and end.

As far as the idea that liking one they might like the other you're ignoring major things like the genre, medium, quality, and consistency which I think would be in opposition to your statement.
I never knew that parallels made 2 things equal either.

Two parallel lines make an equal symbol
:lol:

Yeah but the things themselves are the parallel lines. There'd need to be things on adjacent sides to say what was equal to what.

Last edited:

come on man

You CAN NOT compare a drawn cartoon with voice actors to a real television show where REAL people actually have to work and convey sadness, happiness, anger, rage, depression, etc., etc.,
why not? i can get the same feelings of sadness, happiness, anger, rage, depression from watching something animated as i do from watching the real thing

taken from your link
 Those are some good points. I still think BB is not influenced by  similar to  DN. Those are coincidental plot elements designed to make the story more dramatic and full of tension, and since both crime stories are about the downfall of a character, these parallels don't necessarily indicate influence  similarity. I guess my skepticism comes from doubting Villiagian has ever seen Death Note as well as knowing the influences he has previously cited for BB. I would love to be proven wrong though so ask him if you ever get the chance.
"I still think BB is not influenced by DN"

I'm not discussing influence. 

I'm discussing similarities.

Close minded or not, people tend to prefer material that has realism over stuff that has magical / supernatural elements. Even if Death Note was turned into a live action series, not sure how many people over here in America would appreciate it. Towards the end of the anime I just wanted it to end already, got a little tired of it.

Last edited:
Close minded or not, people tend to give the edge to material that has realism over stuff that has magical / supernatural elements. Even if Death Note was turned into a live action series, not sure how many people over here in America would appreciate it. Towards the end of the anime I just wanted it to end already, got a little tired of it.
Exactly and that's the main thing. It dragged and dropped in quality towards the end (after L died). No way it's on par or similar to BB as far as consistent quality goes.

As far as reading it goes, I know plenty who say you should just stop reading after Light wins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom